Moving Back to Tennessee....Need Advice On Jackson, TN Area

Hey everyone!  Been a long time since I posted on here.  I moved from Maryville, TN back to Southeast Missouri a few years ago to be closer to family.  Now, I am looking to make another career change so we can move back to Tennessee.  The wife & I have decided to move to western Tennessee this time, so we can stay within 2.5 hours of home.  We are looking into the Jackson, TN area.  However, I do not want to be in the city of Jackson or within 10 miles of it.  I want a rural setting in a peaceful area that has no crime.  My wife & kid will be home alone sometimes while I travel, so that is very important.  We have been looking at the Lexington, TN area, but we are afraid the schools aren't very good (I could be wrong).  The school is really important to us.  Regarding geographical location, I really need to be south/southeast of the Jackson area due to work.

Any suggestions or advice?

2 hours ago, Seabeejason said:

I want a rural setting in a peaceful area that has no crime.

You may need to be willing to make some compromises.  Talk to some sheriff's deputies if you believe there is such a thing as a crime-free rural area.  There are certainly some that are better than others, but "crime-free" doesn't exist any more.  There are meth labs in Amish country now.

Good luck,

Whisper

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Whisper said:

You may need to be willing to make some compromises.  Talk to some sheriff's deputies if you believe there is such a thing as a crime-free rural area.  There are certainly some that are better than others, but "crime-free" doesn't exist any more.  There are meth labs in Amish country now.

Good luck,

Whisper

Well yes, I know this.  Bad wording on my part.  I’m not too worried about meth heads.  We got plenty of them where I live now.  What I meant is an area where I don’t have to worry about my family while I’m out of town on business trips.  

6 hours ago, Sidinman said:

I live in Madison county. If I were you I would look into Chester county, south of Jackson. Or at the Medina area, just north of Jackson in Gibson county both have a better school system.

RP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I’ve been really looking at Chester County, as well has Henderson County.  

I'd look at Henry, Gibson, Carroll, Weakley, Benton, or Henderson counties. The cities I would be okay living in are: Paris, McKenzie, Medina, Huntingdon, Camden, or Lexington. I go to school at Bethel which is in McKenzie. Personally I would go for some area out in the county but that's just me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I live over in Henderson County (Wildersville) I also drive a truck all day long doing home delivery, by far the nicest area ive seen is around Three Way (Medina and Milan) 

There are good and bad parts everywhere.  I am all over the place and I was looking for a normal housing track type housing Medina has it.  I however wanted land so im out 22 miles from jackson and happy to be here.

• Like 2

I'm in Clarksburg - Carroll county. Address is Huntingdon cause Clarksburg is too small for it's own address. It is definitely rural and has a school. K-12. Yep 1 school all grades. 

Most of the teachers are from here and kids get a great education at Clarksburg school. Averages about 20 people per graduation class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's some really nice areas north of Jackson, but south of Jackson is getting too close to Memphis for my taste.

Have you ever lived in a rural area? The good thing is that is far away from everything. The bad thing is that it is far away from anything.

For the most part, any place in Tennessee, away from the larger cities is a good place to live.

Oh yeah...welcome back!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4
33 minutes ago, Billrube said:

I'm in Clarksburg - Carroll county. Address is Huntingdon cause Clarksburg is too small for it's own address. It is definitely rural and has a school. K-12. Yep 1 school all grades. 

Most of the teachers are from here and kids get a great education at Clarksburg school. Averages about 20 people per graduation class.

Well, thats kind of funny about the number in graduation class. When I graduated from William James High School in 1967 it was K-12 school also and my graduating class had 22. Now if you want to talk about a shock, when my parents moved me to Tennessee I was going to school at Hyde Park high School in West Chicago and had I graduated from that school in 1967 the graduation would have taken 3 days to complete. There was 1,990 seniors in the 12th grade that year in that school. There was more Seniors in that class than the entire K-12 school I did my senior year in and graduated from. The campus of Hyde Park High School was bigger than Titans Stadium and was only an 11th and 12th grade school. Oh yea let me add, I enjoyed William James High my last year more than I ever did Hyde Park. I hated that big H-ll Hole...........:mad:

• Moderators
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

There's some really nice areas north of Jackson, but south of Jackson is getting too close to Memphis for my taste.

Have you ever lived in a rural area? The good thing is that is far away from everything. The bad thing is that it is far away from anything.

For the most part, any place in Tennessee, away from the larger cities is a good place to live.

Oh yeah...welcome back!

North of Jackson is great. We live in Crockett. Great area and as great of schools as is possible when dealing with the Prussian Model. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Oh yeah...welcome back!

Yes, I’m from a rural area.  Grew up outside a town of 4,000 people, but about 20 miles from a town of 40,000 people.  When we lived in Maryville, TN from 2011 to 2014, we lived about 8 miles from town out off Highway 129 (not far from The Dragon).  I love being out in the country, which is why we’re looking at areas a good ways away from Jackson.  We are actually looking into buying a house with at least 20 acres (40 preferably).  Likely sometime this summer.  We have to sell our house here in Missouri first though.  I really want some deer hunting land & a good spot to build me a gun range.  I’m not settling for any less than that.  

We are still looking hard at the Lexington area.  My wife talked to a lady at City Hall on the phone today & she was really nice. We are also combing areas north of Lexington too (north of I40).  I can’t be too far north though.  I’m interviewing for a job that will have me covering Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, & possibly Georgia & Florida.  Trying to keep my drive time down, even if it’s just 30 minutes less.  Of course, if I find my dream home up by Paris or something, I’m not going to let 30 minutes get in my way.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2017 at 3:49 PM, desertsubi said:

I live over in Henderson County (Wildersville) I also drive a truck all day long doing home delivery, by far the nicest area ive seen is around Three Way (Medina and Milan) 

There are good and bad parts everywhere.  I am all over the place and I was looking for a normal housing track type housing Medina has it.  I however wanted land so im out 22 miles from jackson and happy to be here.

I’m not the subdivision type.  First off, I like to be away from people.  Secondly, I don’t  want a bunch of a-holes from the HOA telling me what I can & can’t do on my own property.  Not for me.

• Like 2
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Seabeejason said:

Hey everyone!  Been a long time since I posted on here.  I moved from Maryville, TN back to Southeast Missouri a few years ago to be closer to family.  Now, I am looking to make another career change so we can move back to Tennessee.  The wife & I have decided to move to western Tennessee this time, so we can stay within 2.5 hours of home.  We are looking into the Jackson, TN area.  However, I do not want to be in the city of Jackson or within 10 miles of it.  I want a rural setting in a peaceful area that has no crime.  My wife & kid will be home alone sometimes while I travel, so that is very important.  We have been looking at the Lexington, TN area, but we are afraid the schools aren't very good (I could be wrong).  The school is really important to us.  Regarding geographical location, I really need to be south/southeast of the Jackson area due to work.

Any suggestions or advice?

Can't give you any recommendations...but will say welcome back.

1 hour ago, Seabeejason said:

I’m not the subdivision type.  First off, I like to be away from people.  Secondly, I don’t  want a bunch of a-holes from the HOA telling me what I can & can’t do on my own property.  Not for me.

That I fully understand, I dont remember you saying you didnt like subdivision stuff so I am sorry I assumed.   And I get it, I live out in the semi sticks...  20 acres and only a few neighbors.  

• Like 1