Pump for 3 gun?

So i could kick myself for not asking the guys shooting pumps at the steel challenge. I was determined to buy a mossberg 590 or 870 and put a choke in them and a mag extension make them 9+ . The more i tried to dig the more i got turned off and ending up dropping some change on a stoeger m3k autoloader. Well my buddy is set on trying to find a barrel that excepts chokes for his 870. I really dont want to have $600 in a shotgun. Whats the best way to go with building a budget pump for comp? Again i saw some of the guys there with 870 and 590

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Benelli super nova. I think they run in the 500-600 range just for the gun. 

Benelli also makes a Nova. Runs 400-500. The difference in the two are in the stocks. The super nova you can adjust the stock for drop and cast. It also has a recoil reducing feature.

The Nova has a fixed stock.

My super nova has been a good pump gun. Probably the best thing I like about it is the loading gate once pushed up it stays up and out of the way for loading. 

I would have gone with the nova if I hadn't already had an 870. I put a 26 inch barrel with a light mod choke on mine. The pump gun really only makes sense if you're shooting heavy metal, that stoeger will serve you well for every other division.

51 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I would have gone with the nova if I hadn't already had an 870. I put a 26 inch barrel with a light mod choke on mine. The pump gun really only makes sense if you're shooting heavy metal, that stoeger will serve you well for every other division.

Been thinking of getting into 3 gun but have not done any research on what I need yet. I don't understand your comment that the pump really only makes sense for heavy metal.

I actually missed a good deal on a nova but the guy said the barrel wasnt threaded for chokes so i passed. Really like the design . I thought all benellis had the ability to accept chokes. I believe his was a 18 "barrel so maybe it was just smooth bore.

The Supernova is the easiest answer for an "out of the box" shotgun.  The 870 is cheaper on the front end and works well until you start to get faster with it - then it needs a modification to the action bars to keep up with you.

It's a pretty simple mod if you have a welder and a file (or even better - a mill), but it's not something anybody really does commercially.

I shoot the 870.

Edited by Matt in TN
9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Been thinking of getting into 3 gun but have not done any research on what I need yet. I don't understand your comment that the pump really only makes sense for heavy metal.

A lot of matches require a pump shotgun for their heavy metal division, the other divisions allow a semi auto which is a good bit faster. Just starting out there is nothing wrong with using a pump until you figure out what semi auto shotgun you want.