Article in Oath Keepers

CNN Opinion writer Jeff D Sachs

Reasonable compromise" on the right of the people to keep and bear arms can be most helpful with that, as multiple Twentieth Century genocides have proven.

And the good professor's bright idea this time around?

"Focus the protection of the Second Amendment on keeping nonmilitary arms at home for self-defense, while putting an escalating standard of protection on other kinds of arms and uses ...  If individuals want to own semi-automatic assault weapons, either as collectors or for practice shooting, then enforce a provision that such weapons can only be kept at legally registered shooting ranges or other registered depositories, and cannot be removed from the designated premises. Similarly, if individuals want to use unusual high-powered weapons for hunting, and if such weapons are deemed to be acceptable for hunting purposes, then require that the hunters collect their weapons from a registered hunting depot and redeposit them after hunting, with the guns and ammunition properly accounted for."

There's more, but you get the picture. He has completely eviscerated Founding intent and "shall not be infringed," and reduced gun ownership to highly-regulated personal protection and "sporting purposes," all of which are one majority rule vote away from the ultimate goal at the bottom of Nancy Pelosi's "slippery slope"."

Advocates of the police state know that they must couch their proposals in reasonable terms, until enough of those proposals have been implemented.  They they don't put forth proposals; they issue edicts.

Probably everyone here already knows this.

Be alert,

Whisper

On 10/19/2017 at 4:04 AM, nightrunner said:

That’s exactly how it is in England and nearly every other European country.

And oh how the leftists would love for us to BECOME Europe! All this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "safety." It has everything to do with the fact that the second amendment is a threat to their power and ideology. 

• Like 1
On 10/18/2017 at 1:54 PM, bersaguy said:

"Focus the protection of the Second Amendment on keeping nonmilitary arms at home for self-defense, while putting an escalating standard of protection on other kinds of arms and uses ...  If individuals want to own semi-automatic assault weapons, either as collectors or for practice shooting, then enforce a provision that such weapons can only be kept at legally registered shooting ranges or other registered depositories, and cannot be removed from the designated premises. Similarly, if individuals want to use unusual high-powered weapons for hunting, and if such weapons are deemed to be acceptable for hunting purposes, then require that the hunters collect their weapons from a registered hunting depot and redeposit them after hunting, with the guns and ammunition properly accounted for."

This is a modern version of the logic the British used when they marched on Lexington and Concord

2 hours ago, nightrunner said:

Using logic, I’d say a .500 magnum or .50BMG. But with liberals, I’d say any centerfire rifle cartridge sadly.

Well I guess they will be leaving my 22 semi auto squirrel gun out of the equation then! Glad of that cause that might mean I can still eat when SHTF.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

What is an "unusual high-powered weapons for hunting"?

:bowrofl:

With liberals probably anything larger than a 17hmr would be considered unusually large for hunting :blah:!! Then within 2 yrs it would be anything bigger than a slingshot

Edited by john455
  • Like 1
On 10/21/2017 at 10:24 AM, bersaguy said:

Well I guess they will be leaving my 22 semi auto squirrel gun out of the equation then! Glad of that cause that might mean I can still eat when SHTF.

Nope.  It is a semiauto so you will have to store it at a 'registered shooting range or other registered depository.'  Yeah, I know the guy was saying that about 'semiautomatic assault weapons' but the thing is (and you probably already know this) that the term 'assault weapon' was made up by the lefties to try and class semiautomatic weapons in a manner that they could be lumped in with true 'assault rifles' which, of course, are fully automatic.  In other words, there really is no, such thing as a 'semiautomatic assault weapon' except that they exist within the minds and parlance of the lefties.  So, as there is nothing that is truly an 'assault weapon' then any semiauto (or any, other weapon that they decide meets the nonexistent criteria) can be classified as such if they wish - and you can bet that they would.

Maybe we all ought to learn to use slingshots so that, as you say, we can still eat when SHTF.  Of course if the lefties have their way that might not be an option, either - slingshots are illegal (at least to carry) in New York, already.

Edited by JAB
19 hours ago, john455 said:

You have got to be kidding me  :dropjaw::dropjaw::dropjaw:

Nope.  This article is from 2012 so maybe New York laws have changed.  I doubt it, though.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Teen-charged-with-slingshot-possession-3429903.php

CARMEL, N.Y. -- An 18-year-old Brewster resident was charged with weapons possession after police found two slingshots in the car in which he was riding, Carmel Police Chief Michael Johnson said.

The arrest occurred about 6 p.m. March 17.

The suspect, whose name was not released because he could be given youthful offender status, was the passenger in a car that police say made an illegal left turn onto Route 6 from Church Street.

When officers searched the vehicle, they found the two slingshots -- one of which was a powerful wrist-braced slingshot -- which are illegal in New York, Johnson said.

"I think if they outlawed (slingshots), they're probably pretty dangerous weapons," Johnson said. "It's almost like carrying a gun."

So this idiot police chief believes that a slingshot 'must' be a dangerous weapon not because he has rationally thought about the issue but simply because 'they' (lawmakers, I suppose) outlawed them.  Notice how the article mentions that one of the slingshots was a "powerful wrist-braced slingshot" in an implied tone as if it were a fully automatic Barrett or something.

Here is another article from 2015 about a New Jersey assemblyman attempting to change New Jersey law in order to decriminalize slingshots (I don't know if he was successful or not.)

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/the_bart_simpson_law_assemblyman_wants_to_decrimin.html

It is also my understanding that in some states, even in instances where having a slingshot is 'allowed', slingshots with wrist braces are illegal.  Even things like pepper spray is regulated in New York.  My understanding (from looking into the law because of going on a cruise that left out of New York City a few years back) is that you can only carry pepper spray in New York if said spray was purchased in the state, among other things.

So, yeah - such things are part of the mindset of people - probably such as Sachs - who think we should 'compromise' and accept 'reasonable' laws which restrict our rights.  They can claim that they only want to regulate 'military' type arms (and what the heck gives them the right to do that, either, I don't know) but what they really want is to turn the entire United States into the sort of distopia as the states where they live - where even having a  slingshot could be a felony.  This mindset knows nothing about the word 'reasonable'.

Edited by JAB