Do you carry cash?

xsubsailor

Same as several... I have kids so I rarely have more than $50 in cash on me.  I use my cc most of the time, but will use cash for small stuff or at specific businesses. 

I only use my debit card at the ATM. Never use a debit card anywhere else. If it gets stolen, you have to deal with an empty or overdrawn bank account, and worse if you've got things like utilities or mortgage on auto-pay.  If a credit card gets stolen, you just have charges to dispute and you haven't actually lost anything. 

• Like 2

Credit Card for groceries, gas, because of cashback, always pay balance so no charges. Never debit card.  Always $500-$1000 in cash, never know when that great deal will show up.

Remember, if the power is out cards won't work, reference the people in kommifornia in the fire areas, always carry cash. JMHO.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, nightrunner said:

I’ve never been to a Costco, but thought that was awfully odd for a business as large as them to not accept some form of credit card.

I've been a Costco member for years. They only took American Express and some debit cards until recently. They dropped American Express and now take Visa. I actually just got their Visa Credit Card to replace my other credit cards. Has a strong % back. I always pay off any balances equal how month. 

5 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Remember, if the power is out cards won't work, reference the people in kommifornia in the fire areas, always carry cash. JMHO.

This.... I survived 8 days w/o power during the NE Blackout, and was glad I had stores and cash for an emergency.

That and a big stack of firewood!

- K

• Like 2

I've always kept cash in my safe or my truck, I never carry much on my person if any. Only reason i keep a moderate amount of cash nearby is I've gotten crazy deals on cars and guns when people get emotional about them. Otherwise I wouldn't keep any.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, 2.ooohhh said:

I've always kept cash in my safe or my truck, I never carry much on my person if any. Only reason i keep a moderate amount of cash nearby is I've gotten crazy deals on cars and guns when people get emotional about them. Otherwise I wouldn't keep any.

When I was in the automobile business I would carry  large sums of cash. Bought many a car sitting for sale on the side of the road. Cash always dropped the price substantially. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 1

I try to keep about $100 in my pocket and $1000 at home.  Never know what you might come across that you need cash for.  I don't generally use my pocket cash for day to day transactions, and yes, I will put a coke on my card before I break a $20.  That's what works for my current financial situation, YMMV.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, aknifemaker said:

buy gas with a credit card,

Ahhh.. spoken like a true yankee (I can say that, I lived in NY for the first 41 years of my life, LOL! :lol: )

Actually, credit-card skimmers are often found on gas-pumps, I try to avoid it, or always charge a specific amount, to make it easier to detect purchases that are unauthorized (I usually pump a dollar amount equal to my birth year).

20 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Ahhh.. spoken like a true yankee (I can say that, I lived in NY for the first 41 years of my life, LOL! :lol: )

Actually, credit-card skimmers are often found on gas-pumps, I try to avoid it, or always charge a specific amount, to make it easier to detect purchases that are unauthorized (I usually pump a dollar amount equal to my birth year).

That is actually a really good idea. I might have to start doing that.

However, on many an occasion, I've been known to check my account balance as I'm pumping, and use that as an opportunity to round my checking account to a nice whole number. I'm weird like that :screwy:

I don't need to have cash on me, but it's a habit.  Usually I'll have somewhere near $20-25 in a mix of bills in the money clip on my wallet, though that amount dwindles as I use it for things. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:05 PM, peejman said:

I only use my debit card at the ATM. Never use a debit card anywhere else. If it gets stolen, you have to deal with an empty or overdrawn bank account, and worse if you've got things like utilities or mortgage on auto-pay.  If a credit card gets stolen, you just have charges to dispute and you haven't actually lost anything. 

Same here.  It's not perfect (see below), but it's pretty good for the times.  I also make sure the debit card tied to my checking account is only used for cash withdrawals.  Any online payments are made via the credit card, or bank account (as Nashville Electric requires to my annoyance).

7 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Yeah, those things are getting bad.  They're showing up on ATMs as well, which can ruin someone bad.  I still use my credit card at the pump, but I do a quick look/feel around the slot for a skimmer, and the same at the ATM.

Using situational awareness and avoiding ATMs in seedy places helps a bunch.  Everytime I see one on the news, I feel safe that I've never been in the area.

6 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I still use my credit card at the pump, but I do a quick look/feel around the slot for a skimmer, and the same at the ATM.

Hahaha! I've  nearly broken a few machines tugging on the 'slot' to make sure there isn't anything attached as well! :lol:

- K

4 hours ago, Gun Smith said:

I like to use cash to purchase things I don't want my wife to know about.   Odds and ends like eating out for lunch,  gag gifts,  and the occasional little toy.  Nothing major.   : )

I call that my Mad Money.

I usually do not carry cash. I'm a minimalist when it comes to things in my pocket, and I hate change clinking around me when I move. I carry my debit card unless I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use a credit card. Any cash I get I give to my wife to carry in her purse.