Skeletonized Handstop

themansman

I've always thought the value of a handstop on a shortbarreled heater as keeping your hand the hell away from the end of the barrel as the entire firearm recoils backwards. 

In other words, has a projection that your hand goes behind, not in front of it.

- OS

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

I've always thought the value of a handstop on a shortbarreled heater as keeping your hand the hell away from the end of the barrel as the entire firearm recoils backwards. 

In other words, has a projection that your hand goes behind, not in front of it.

- OS

Nope. All about giving your hand purchase to pull against to drive the stock into your shoulder. 

My take is that it depends on the application and the intended use.  Every target rifle I ever saw or used the hand stop was used to hold the hand from forward movement and proper use of a sling would lock your hand into the hand stop and the sling pulls the rifle into your should tight if done properly.   Now a days in tactical scenarios when you are running and gunning the technique is to pull with the offhand so haveing the hand stop behind makes sense as well.

6 hours ago, tjc357 said:

That's why they are called a hand stop, not a grip

Yet most, including the one the OP asks about, seems designed to have hand in front of it. It stops the hand from coming back toward the butt, not from going forward toward the muzzle. 

12 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Nope. All about giving your hand purchase to pull against to drive the stock into your shoulder. 

Of course, a pistol has no stock, right? :)

(I know,  the brace tech does same thing).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Haha 1

@MP5_Rizzo has it right, it can go either direction and depending on your weapon, and training, it can be used to pull back on without slipping, or to keep you from burning, or  perforating, your hand on a short barreled weapon.  I personally don't use them, they seem to be just another gadget to me.  Besides some of the smooth hand guards most have a rough surface so your hand should not be slipping in either direction.