Walnut, Blue, Old School Rifles?

DaveTN

5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’m curious why you would want an A-bolt or even an X-Bolt over the SUPER GRADE? I haven’t shot either. But most of the comparisons I read rate the Super Grade over the X-Bolt. I’m just asking; I have no idea.

I had a relative that had an A-Bolt Medallion that I hunted with as a kid, and I have been collecting the "guns of my youth" the last few years.  So my reasoning was nostalgic.  

5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t know what was available when you got yours, but the Browning site shows 19 calibers available in both the X-Bolt and the A-Bolt and 10 in the AB3.

If you look at the website, all of the calibers that show "No MSRP" are not currently in production on the A-Bolt Medallion. 

On 10/22/2017 at 9:18 AM, DaveTN said:

Thanks guys, it looks like The Model 70 Supergrade in .243 might be just what I’m looking for in a current production model. Looks like they switched manufacturing to Portugal about 4 years ago. I’ll have to see if I can find out what that did to the quality level.

Dave,

CDNNSports has several Supergrades for auction on Gunbroker.  Here is a link to one in .243.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/685614621

They also have several other nice rifles for sale.

A matte finish on a high end gun isn't the same as a bead blasted WalMart special. I wouldn't get too hung up on shiny until I saw them in person. Too much of a gloss finish looks cheap and greasy to me.

The Savage 14 American Classic is a handsome rifle by any standard. So is a Winchester 70 Featherweight.

A pre 64 Winchester has a matte receiver with polished blue barrel and bottom metal, and a matte stock.

A post 64 Classic model 70 featherweight has polished blue metal and a matte stock with a beautiful fluer de lis checkering and graceful schnable fore end.

The Model 14 American Classic Savage also has high polished metal with a matte wood with an ebony end cap.

Edited by gregintenn
45 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

A matte finish on a high end gun isn't the same as a bead blasted WalMart special. I wouldn't get too hung up on shiny until I saw them in person. Too much of a gloss finish looks cheap and greasy to me.

The Savage 14 American Classic is a handsome rifle by any standard. So is a Winchester 70 Featherweight. Matte action, but a polished barrel and bottom metal.

I know, I have a 700 VLS in .308. that has a matte blue finish. Not exactly what I would call a Walmart special. :D

If I go with the model 70 it will probably be a new Super Grade. I haven’t had any luck in finding anything used.

I just wondered if Savage ever made anything in polished blue, or course it they did it probably wouldn’t be accutrigger. 

38 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I know, I have a 700 VLS in .308. that has a matte blue finish. Not exactly what I would call a Walmart special. :D

If I go with the model 70 it will probably be a new Super Grade. I haven’t had any luck in finding anything used.

I just wondered if Savage ever made anything in polished blue, or course it they did it probably wouldn’t be accutrigger. 

The 14 American IS a high polish blue. The wood has a low sheen finish, but is very nice. Mine has the fancy trigger. I personally do not care about the removable magazine, but that would be my only complaint.

The one I have is chambered for 250-3000 Savage, but I think they make them in chamberings you'd be interested in as well.

You won't go wrong with a Super grade. They are awesome! They made a limited edition of them a while back in 7x57. I still keep an eye out for one.