Kennedy files to be released

xsubsailor

10 hours ago, res308 said:

It's for sure that someone somewhere at some time knows/knew the truth. Not that we ever will. I've always thought that LBJ caused the demise of JFK, but I don't know if LHO was on the roll with the boys on the grassy knoll. 

The thing I've always wondered is why he would cheat on a beautiful lady like Jackie Kennedy with that bleach blond skank. 

Come on! You'd hit it too!

1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

Come on! You'd hit it too!

Ha! Not saying she wasn't hot, but from what I've read over the years one could have a cleaner ride in an 1800's cathouse before the advent of "safety gear."

On the other note, I had always heard that the "war machine" angle was part of the equation. I seem to remember one of our forefathers issuing a warning to beware the military - industrial complex. 

Personally I doubt much of anything significant will be "revealed" by the release of this material. I may be surprised though. 

1 minute ago, res308 said:

Ha! Not saying she wasn't hot, but from what I've read over the years one could have a cleaner ride in an 1800's cathouse before the advent of "safety gear."

On the other note, I had always heard that the "war machine" angle was part of the equation. I seem to remember one of our forefathers issuing a warning to beware the military - industrial complex. 

Personally I doubt much of anything significant will be "revealed" by the release of this material. I may be surprised though. 

He hit it because he could, and I'm sure there were more than we know about. 

The thing I wonder about is, why was he so great?  Or was it just because he got assassinated that everyone holds him up as a shining example of a President? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, res308 said:

That was his predecessor, Ike in his farewell address:

As for Kennedy, Raoul is right. Kennedy followed FDR, Truman, and Ike. Three much older guys that, though different politically, were from another generation. Kennedy also benefited from following Eisenhower's boom years. Think Obama without the 2008 market crash, or Clinton without the Bush 41 recession. Things looked great in the economy, and Kennedy's youth and charisma made them look even better. He took a different path with the Soviets than his predecessors, more akin to Reagan than not. Instead of matching them the way Ike did, Kennedy wanted to surpass them. That's what the moon shot was all about. It had far less to do with exploration than with showing Ivan who had a bigger rocket in his pocket. Add in the Cuban missile crisis where he and his cadre almost killed us all, but managed to spin it like he saved us all from the bomb (and in some ways that's true), and you end up with a huge up swell in national pride, mostly associated with Kennedy.

He did have some real accomplishments in his relatively short time in office. In addition to starting the moon shot program and resolving the missile crisis, he also established the Peace Corps and finally got the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty signed in 1963, though it was something Ike had been working on for many years prior to Kennedy. It was significant in that it was the first arms reduction treaties between west and east and paved the way for all that followed. In reality, it didn't do a whole lot because the parties had already voluntarily stopped atmospheric nuke testing once we all figured out just how bad that was for ourselves.

It wasn't all success though. Don't forget about the Bay of Pigs. Ike authorized the CIA to plan it, but Jack gave the green light to execute.

Edited by monkeylizard

Yeah, that dang Cuban missile crisis. For a big part of my life I thought he did a good job at that. Until I talked to a dear friend of mine who was actually there. Geez! Talk about a close call for the purpose of political gain!

7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have no doubt LBJ was in on it. He had made I think three different bids to get the White House and never made it. ...

He only ran for the nomination once, losing to JFK, but becoming his pick for Veep. And of course, after becoming president, didn't run for a second full term.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

He only ran for the nomination once, losing to JFK, but becoming his pick for Veep. And of course, after becoming president, didn't run for a second full term.

- OS

My mistake OS! It was Nixon that ran 3 times before finally making it................:doh: