M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm First Impressions

TGO David

1 minute ago, Moped said:

So you don't have to flip the lever down or up whatever direction it called for in the disassembly instructions with some sort of pointy tool?  That's a plus!!! Having cut my teeth with pistols on the 1911a1 in the military, having to have a tool to take down any weapon for basic maintenance just sorta irked me.

Seriously, how is the trigger?  I do not want to spend another $150 for another part to make a pistol perform the way it should, straight out of the box.  I really want to like these pistols, since S&W is an American company, but once burned...

I edited my post as you posted but you don’t have to flip that lever at all.  Just confirmed on my “M1.0” Shield.  After you flip the takedown switch and the pistol returns to battery just pull the trigger.  It then comes apart.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I edited my post as you posted but you don’t have to flip that lever at all.  Just confirmed on my “M1.0” Shield.  After you flip the takedown switch and the pistol returns to battery just pull the trigger.  It then comes apart.

Thanks!  I guess I was guilty of reading the instructions.

Boy, just went to the Smith & Wesson Forum to read about alternative disassembly of M&Ps.  Don't go over there and tell them that you got passed flicking that little safety lever down, by dry firing the pistol!  Apparently S&W installed that as a extra safety step to cut back on NDs.  Glocks were disparaged because they don't have this step and people got shot when failing to check the chamber, before dry firing the pistol for disassembly.

Edited by Moped
16 minutes ago, Moped said:

Thanks!  I guess I was guilty of reading the instructions.

Boy, just went to the Smith & Wesson Forum to read about alternative disassembly of M&Ps.  Don't go over there and tell them that you got passed flicking that little safety lever down, by dry firing the pistol!  Apparently S&W installed that as a extra safety step to cut back on NDs.  Glocks were disparaged because they don't have this step and people got shot when failing to check the chamber, before dry firing the pistol for disassembly.

I made the same mistake with my Shield by doing what the manual said and was mighty irritated when I brought it home.

The M2.0 directions are even more complicated by having you remove the “take-down” tool that holds the grip insert on and removing the insert as well, lol!

If it wasn’t for lawyers and idjits that sear deactivator in the mag well would not even exist.  But since Mr. Lowest Common Denominator might actually exercise the take down procedure with a fully loaded clip and manually lock the slide to the rear, flip the take down switch, pull the trigger and blow a hole in something, those of us with at least half a wit must suffer.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Moped said:

So S&W still hasn't fixed the trigger? :/ I purchased a Gen 1 Compact two years ago in .45ACP and was very disappointed.  Not only with the trigger (the most horrid trigger I had ever experienced on a $400+ pistol), but with the pistol as a whole.  It felt extremely clunky and unbalanced.  Not to mention that it required a tool for take down; another negative for me. I tried my best to like it, but ultimately ended up trading it away two months later for an Springfield XDs .45 ACP (which I still have, shoot and carry). Accuracy was on par for a polymer striker fired pistol and it was reliable.  Never had any issues with that at all (but just 200 rounds of mostly ball).  Honestly, my experience with this pistol has kept me away from the Shield in any caliber. 

What constitutes a "good" trigger for you?

What constitutes a "good" trigger for you?

A smooth take up, with a slight stack and a clean break. I can handle a long take up like on a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2, as long as it does what I like. The best trigger I found on a striker fire so far is on a FNH FNS and my Glock 17. They are about even. The worst was the M&P Compact. I'd compare It to a FEG copy of the Browning Hi-Power, I owned back in the early 90's. It was gritty and in no way smooth. The stack before it broke felt like it was hanging up, till you put a little extra effort into it.

All the pistols I own or have owned, have been factory. I don't modify them in any way. I've had my Glock 17 since 1990.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Moped said:

A smooth take up, with a slight stack and a clean break. I can handle a long take up like on a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2, as long as it does what I like. The best trigger I found on a striker fire so far is on a FNH FNS and my Glock 17. They are about even. The worst was the M&P Compact. I'd compare It to a FEG copy of the Browning Hi-Power, I owned back in the early 90's. It was gritty and in no way smooth. The stack before it broke felt like it was hanging up, till you put a little extra effort into it.

All the pistols I own or have owned, have been factory. I don't modify them in any way. I've had my Glock 17 since 1990.

Neither of my M2.0 feel like what you described for a bad trigger.  But neither of them feel like a Glock either.  If you want that, you want a Glock.

Neither of my M2.0 feel like what you described for a bad trigger.  But neither of them feel like a Glock either.  If you want that, you want a Glock.

They don't sound like the original M&P either, so I might be interested in a 2.0. And I have a Glock.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Moped said:

They don't sound like the original M&P either, so I might be interested in a 2.0. And I have a Glock.

The feel of the trigger in the M2.0 is superior to the 1.0 in my experience.  I still own a few 1.0's so it is easy for me to access either of them for a side by side comparison, and my impression still holds.

But, if you want a Glock-like trigger - stick to your Glock.  The M2.0 trigger is excellent but it's still somewhat different.  Or, at the very least, try several of them before you buy one.  Trigger "feel" is a purely subjective thing, and I really wouldn't want you to buy one because I or anyone else said it was improved, only for you to regret it and end up with more buyer's remorse.

The funny thing to me is that my Gen 4 Glock 19 has more grit and twang in the trigger than the M2.0 and consequently feels worse.  But again it's subjective, and I am looking for a different feel from the trigger than you might be.

• Like 1

I just purchased a MP 9C about 5 weeks ago. Like it better than all my Glocks because the Glocks have grips that are too large for my med sized hands. Consider the 2.0 9C a much better fit for me, plus the sights and grip stippling, grip angle, and size feels better in my hand. Is very accurate also, but will say I have not gotten accustomed tot he trigger yet. Have about 200 rounds through it. The feel of the trigger pull is much different than my usual EDC Revolver. I am trying to fit the 2.0 into my EDC routine.  Been pocket carrying a Taurus mdl 617 7 shot revolver and am  trying to carry the 2.0 in an OWB, with a cover garment for church, and an IWB Cross Breed tuckable for EDC. The last is not working so far. 

Edited by pop pop
The feel of the trigger in the M2.0 is superior to the 1.0 in my experience.  I still own a few 1.0's so it is easy for me to access either of them for a side by side comparison, and my impression still holds.

But, if you want a Glock-like trigger - stick to your Glock.  The M2.0 trigger is excellent but it's still somewhat different.  Or, at the very least, try several of them before you buy one.  Trigger "feel" is a purely subjective thing, and I really wouldn't want you to buy one because I or anyone else said it was improved, only for you to regret it and end up with more buyer's remorse.

The funny thing to me is that my Gen 4 Glock 19 has more grit and twang in the trigger than the M2.0 and consequently feels worse.  But again it's subjective, and I am looking for a different feel from the trigger than you might be.

That's why I may go rent or borrow one to try out. Thanks for the advice though. I really appreciate yours and Garufu' input.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, Moped said:

That's why I may go rent or borrow one to try out. Thanks for the advice though. I really appreciate yours and Garufu' input.

That's a very smart thing to do.  I wish more people would follow your lead.

The best I can offer is what my own experiences with a product are or have been, and I really like the M2.0 pistols.  A lot.  So much that I don't even carry a Glock 19 these days and instead go for my M2.0 9mm Compact.  It is very accurate and the grip just feels great to me.  The trigger is good enough that I don't even find myself thinking about the trigger when I shoot it.  To me, that's really when I know that I have a gun that I can use well:  When I no longer think about the trigger.

But like I said, it's really a subjective thing.  It's so subject that I almost don't even want to talk about trigger "feel" when people ask about any gun unless we're going to talk about the quantifiable things like amount of take-up, pull weight and reset length.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am annoyed, because I'm really not.  I've just come to the point where I have had to admit that its no easier to describe all of the things that culminate in trigger "feel" than it is to describe to a blind person what a sunset looks like.

• Like 1
That's a very smart thing to do.  I wish more people would follow your lead.

The best I can offer is what my own experiences with a product are or have been, and I really like the M2.0 pistols.  A lot.  So much that I don't even carry a Glock 19 these days and instead go for my M2.0 9mm Compact.  It is very accurate and the grip just feels great to me.  The trigger is good enough that I don't even find myself thinking about the trigger when I shoot it.  To me, that's really when I know that I have a gun that I can use well:  When I no longer think about the trigger.

But like I said, it's really a subjective thing.  It's so subject that I almost don't even want to talk about trigger "feel" when people ask about any gun unless we're going to talk about the quantifiable things like amount of take-up, pull weight and reset length.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am annoyed, because I'm really not.  I've just come to the point where I have had to admit that its no easier to describe all of the things that culminate in trigger "feel" than it is to describe to a blind person what a sunset looks like.

You have not come across as annoyed at all. Rather, with patience in trying to understand my point of view and have offered good advice. Thank you! [emoji5]

• Like 1

LETS CHECK IT OUT... I own the CZP10c and a gen1 M&P but I would not mind trading up to the 2.0 because its without a doubt a better gun than the GEN1 but the CZ is a tough contender for best in class...What I dont like about the CZ is lack of sight options where as Glock and M&P you have endless customizing options CZ no matter what model you buy you have like 2 sights to pick from and no aftermarket really. CZs back strap change is also twice the work it should be . Trigger however CZ is in a league of its own,no one comes close 

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, TGO David said:

Trigger "feel" is a purely subjective thing, and I really wouldn't want you to buy one because I or anyone else said it was improved, only for you to regret it and end up with more buyer's remorse.

I’ll add to this. I’ve owned several M&Ps since they came out, and own 4 now. I never understood the complaints about the trigger; all of mine were good. A little over a year ago I bought a C.O.R.E Pro that was supposedly a Performance Center model. The trigger was absolutely terrible. It went back to S&W twice. I was assured they would take care of it. Long story short…they did nothing, and said nothing was wrong with it. I had to replace it with an Apex before I even used it.

So all triggers are not created equal…even on the same model.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SonnyCrockett said:

LETS CHECK IT OUT... I own the CZP10c and a gen1 M&P but I would not mind trading up to the 2.0 because its without a doubt a better gun than the GEN1 but the CZ is a tough contender for best in class...What I dont like about the CZ is lack of sight options where as Glock and M&P you have endless customizing options CZ no matter what model you buy you have like 2 sights to pick from and no aftermarket really. CZs back strap change is also twice the work it should be . Trigger however CZ is in a league of its own,no one comes close 

I don't have the M&P 2.0 yet, but I'm working on it. Gotta sell some stuff first. Do have TGO David's old CZP10c and ran across a great buy on the HKVP9 a while back. Haven't had them on the range yet(health problems) but I hope to soon. The loser will be for sale. lol

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I’ll add to this. I’ve owned several M&Ps since they came out, and own 4 now. I never understood the complaints about the trigger; all of mine were good. A little over a year ago I bought a C.O.R.E Pro that was supposedly a Performance Center model. The trigger was absolutely terrible. It went back to S&W twice. I was assured they would take care of it. Long story short…they did nothing, and said nothing was wrong with it. I had to replace it with an Apex before I even used it.

So all triggers are not created equal…even on the same model.

I would agree however APEX is an improvement but over priced and if your savvy you can buy a spring kit (20 bucks) and polish all the parts and get the same results

I agree that the M&P 45 1.0s had some horrible triggers.  The weight was far out of proportion for what was reasonable IMO.  This is due to an extra strength trigger spring, apparently.  I was able to replace mine with an Apex competition spring kit which contributed a large amount of improvement.

The M&P 2.0 triggers are uniformly a big step up from the 1.0 triggers.  The sear face has been shortened to decrease some of the creep that was felt on the old sear style.   Overtravel was another problem on the 1.0 triggers; the trigger would travel so far after breaking that it would noticeably cause the front sight to twitch when it bottomed out on the frame.  The Dan Burwell DIY trigger job showed one good way to correct this.  I performed the Burwell mods on all my M&Ps which saved me from buying a lot of Apex sears.    I haven't sat down and measured the overtravel on the 2.0 but the sight twitch is pretty much gone.  

As to the CZ P10C, the trigger is not bad out of the box and can be improved a little simply by putting a dab of grease on the striker surface.  Mine will never approach a good tuned M&P trigger but it's perfectly serviceable.   What worries me about the P10C is that the trigger safety blade can hang if you don't get a close-to-perfect trigger finger position so that you pull the trigger straight back, and of course the documented striker rotation problems.  I hope CZ can address that with a drop-in redesigned part.   My gun apparently doesn't suffer from that problem, but peace of mind would be worth replacing the striker anyway. 

I like the P10C a lot and would like to see it succeed.  I never had much luck getting it to fit the G19 holsters as advertised, but it was a pretty good fit in many of my M&P holsters; go figure.

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I finally got around to picking up an M2.0 compact. I’m almost giddy with the thought of getting it to the range. It just feels so damn good in the hands. 

You’ll be pleased.  If not, you ain’t right.

Did you go with 3.6 or 4.0?