TWD Season 8

john455

48 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I agree it was excellent seeing Negan dragged around the dump, tied to a mechanic's creeper or something similar, but the next scene was the worst continuity error in the entire show.  Jadis is making dire threats, and all of a sudden Negan is still tied to the creeper but he has a loaded 1911, a bunch of photos that are valuable to Jadis, and a lit highway flare.  WTF?   It's like a scene was deleted or something.

Not to mention that it's incredibly stupid that the helicopter coming to evacuate Jadis could hover at 50 feet 150 yards away from her and apparently couldn't see her even though she was waving at them and Negan had a flare.

It seems like every time the show begins building back some goodwill with unexpected plot developments or exciting action scenes, they undo it by stupid writing, bargain-basement special effects, or some impossible activity that could have been avoided if the show had a single technical advisor who had completed fourth grade.

I cringe in anticipation of  Sunday's episode, which apparently is going to depict Eugene's ammunition handloading factory.  

I still raise the question about why it took people so long to start reloading. They are in GA, you know they should have found equipment and components. Plus how is Eugene reloading in a machine shop? Unless he is making all his dies, molds, and such first. That would be a lot of work for each caliber.

Looks like @Omega beat me to this point. Lol

Edited by Ronald_55
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Plus how is Eugene reloading in a machine shop? Unless he is making all his dies, molds, and such first. That would be a lot of work for each caliber.

They also need a source for powder and primers, unless the show's producers think they can be made in a machine shop.  The preview for this week showed a scene with a brief glimpse of some powder measures on a table, so at least the producers are aware you need those.

7 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I still raise the question about why it took people so long to start reloading. They are in GA, you know they should have found equipment and components. Plus how is Eugene reloading in a machine shop? Unless he is making all his dies, molds, and such first. That would be a lot of work for each caliber.

Looks like @Omega beat me to this point. Lol

While the show is filmed in Georgia and the show started in GA, the characters are currently in Northern Virginia.  They have been for a long time now.

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

While the show is filmed in Georgia and the show started in GA, the characters are currently in Northern Virginia.  They have been for a long time now.

Yeah, I know, but at the start tgey coukd have found stuff

6 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Yeah, I know, but at the start tgey coukd have found stuff

I’m more curious about how they found all those fully automatic assault rifles (yes, that is redundant).  Those things aren’t exactly common.  :lol:

• Like 3

In the Woodbury scenes, they went through a workshop with reloading equipment, so at least the Governor had some sense.

Until recently, none of the Virginia groups had to use a ton of ammo.  As the four communities picked clean the relatively small geographic area, supplies have become more limited, hence the need to start making ammo now.  Coupled with a war, the need for reloading is more critical than it would have been when they were first building walls.

As someone who only recently started reloading, I would say the task would be daunting with just books and no YouTube or internet forums.  I know that is how it was for years before the Internet, but having some type of demonstration first was very helpful.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I’m more curious about how they found all those fully automatic assault rifles (yes, that is redundant).  Those things aren’t exactly common.  :lol:

Yep, they must have found all those illegal caches of weapons so many people seem to be scared of. Or you know, just converted them with a file, cause, you know, that is a thing....NOT!

10 hours ago, dawgdoc said:

As someone who only recently started reloading, I would say the task would be daunting with just books and no YouTube or internet forums.

Nope.  As someone who started handloading in the late 1960s, I can assure you it's possible to learn it without Youtube or online forums.  Books really do work.  :)

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 2

I only started in the 80's, and with the Lee Anniversary Kit in 9mm I had everything I needed.   It came with a manual, which I still have BTW, and everything you needed to get started.   I can't imagine someone in any of the 50 States can't find ONE reloading room.  In an apocalyptic scenario, you would be looking for supplies,  and with all the shooting taking place since the series began I can assure you any sane person would be looking for means to get or make more ammo.  Granted, finding a military base and accessing it's Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) could supply you for a long time, but sooner or later you would need to acquire more.

Which begs the question, why didn't they head to a military installation?  Getting to Fort Benning would of given them all the food, weapons, ammo, grenades, rocket launchers, claymores they would need to erect a perimeter that a band of outlaws would find extremely difficult to break.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:10 AM, Whisper said:

I agree it was excellent seeing Negan dragged around the dump, tied to a mechanic's creeper or something similar, but the next scene was the worst continuity error in the entire show.  Jadis is making dire threats, and all of a sudden Negan is still tied to the creeper but he has a loaded 1911, a bunch of photos that are valuable to Jadis, and a lit highway flare.  WTF?   It's like a scene was deleted or something.

Not to mention that it's incredibly stupid that the helicopter coming to evacuate Jadis could hover at 50 feet 150 yards away from her and apparently couldn't see her even though she was waving at them and Negan had a flare.

It seems like every time the show begins building back some goodwill with unexpected plot developments or exciting action scenes, they undo it by stupid writing, bargain-basement special effects, or some impossible activity that could have been avoided if the show had a single technical advisor who had completed fourth grade.

I cringe in anticipation of  Sunday's episode, which apparently is going to depict Eugene's ammunition handloading factory.  

Remember ....... It's just television.  Probably 98% of the viewers have no idea about reloading or other firearm related things that we understand and use on a daily basis.  The writers were striving for entertainment value, not total realism.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:10 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Yep, they must have found all those illegal caches of weapons so many people seem to be scared of. Or you know, just converted them with a file, cause, you know, that is a thing....NOT!

In one episode there were some soldiers at a fair. There are many others where they had shelters set up. 

4 minutes ago, Hidalgo said:

Remember ....... It's just television.  Probably 98% of the viewers have no idea about reloading or other firearm related things that we understand and use on a daily basis.  The writers were striving for entertainment value, not total realism.

Dang it, why not? Lol

I forgive a lot to enjoy the show. Sonetimes though it seems like those cartoons where the baby is crawling along on a ledge and miraculous boards and such just fall in to place to keep it from falling. Dumb luck only goes so far. The writers have plenty of creative input to get details close to right. 

2 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

A half dozen RCBS single round loaders.  Eugene needs to read up on progressives ...

On the other hand, he does seem to have a massive melt pot ...

I haven’t watched it yet but it sounds like a solid idea to use single stage presses. If the workers aren’t skilled in reloading it would be easier to teach one step to each one. 

4 minutes ago, joe4vol said:

I haven’t watched it yet but it sounds like a solid idea to use single stage presses. If the workers aren’t skilled in reloading it would be easier to teach one step to each one. 

50 "soldiers" wielding automatic weapons ( since it seems everybody in TWD has a FA) is going to really use up a lot of ammo, those 6 guys with the single stage presses are going to have to get after it ...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, No_0ne said:

50 "soldiers" wielding automatic weapons ( since it seems everybody in TWD has a FA) is going to really use up a lot of ammo, those 6 guys with the single stage presses are going to have to get after it ...

My guess is that Eugene is going to screw up the handloading process deliberately so the Saviors have little functioning ammo, thereby giving the Hilltop crowd the edge in the pending battle.  This would also redeem Eugene in the eyes of Rick and company.

Eugene seemed pretty ticked and determined, like Rosita had cut all chances of him going back.  He picked up a priming tool, possibly because he saw how seating the primers could be screwed up.

46 minutes ago, Whisper said:

My guess is that Eugene is going to screw up the handloading process deliberately so the Saviors have little functioning ammo, thereby giving the Hilltop crowd the edge in the pending battle.  This would also redeem Eugene in the eyes of Rick and company.

He was doing a pretty good job with QC when Gabriel was trying to sabotage some loads.

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

He was doing a pretty good job with QC when Gabriel was trying to sabotage some loads.

Qc would have been better if he checked primed cases before filling and seating the bullets. The feeling I get is that his workers are not old hat reloaders. So checking each step could save time overall. Not from a reloading perspective, but a manufacturing one.

I agree that he might deliberately sabatogue the Saviors to prove Rosita wrong. Even if he does though, he should be shot for making them eat canned sardine mac & cheese. 

These writers need to bone up on their reloading equipment and techniques.   That round could not of been taken out of the shell holder with it sticking that far out.  And single stage presses, while good, would suck in mass production they could of got some turret or progressives to make it seem like they actually knew something.  

As to sabotage, I would of just reduced the powder in a few to give them squibs and possibly blow up the weapon on subsequent shots with a double load thrown in there every now and then...they would have to dump all the rounds or pull the bullets.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Omega said:

These writers need to bone up on their reloading equipment and techniques.   That round could not of been taken out of the shell holder with it sticking that far out.  

Anything can happen in the WD world.

9 hours ago, Whisper said:

I think Eugene has gone over to the savior side permanently now.  Having both of your old comrades swear to kill you while kidnapping you will tend to do that.  I also don't think he much liked the idea of being locked up in a hole until called on to render ideas, after all that scenario isn't nearly as appealing as being Dr. Smarty Pants for Negan, along with the perks of women, wine, and especially garlic flavored sardine enhanced mac and cheese ...