Classifieds Temptation

gregintenn

59 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Am I alone in noticing the classified sections here have recently

had a noticeable uptick in the quality of items for sale?

I'm really working hard at sending kids to college and saving for retirement, but some of you are killing me!!!

Move to the western end of the state, nothing interesting ever gets put up for sale here :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Haven't notice, but I did notice the NFA classified section was removed months ago:(

I honestly don't remember us ever having a dedicated NFA classifieds.  My intention would be for anything NFA to be listed in the appropriate category.

• A short barrel rifle or shotgun would go in the firearms classifieds and the seller should indicate that it is NFA.
  • An AOW would go in the firearms classifieds, same as above.
  • A suppressor would go in the accessories classifieds and the seller should indicate that it is NFA.

The sticky wicket of NFA items is that the purchase of them of course involves a tax stamp or being a Class 2 or Class 3 SOT.  In the case of private parties transferring NFA items to one another when neither is a SOT holder, the buyer would have to apply for and receive their tax stamp from the BATFE before the seller can give the item to them.  Since that could be months, up to or exceeding a year currently, the buyer would ostensibly give the seller the money for the item and then wait that period of time and hope that the seller doesn't skip town, lose or damage the item being purchased. 

Are private-party NFA sales / trades very popular?

Reading through this blog entry here (click me) it sounds like there's twice the taxation involved in doing this through an FFL.

• Administrator

As to the general uptick in traffic in the classifieds...  Yep, I've noticed it too.  I've participated in it lately.  :)

I think we can ultimately thank the fact that good deals are to be had on the primary (new) market, and as a result folks are moving things around on the secondary (used) market to fund those new purchases.

Capitalism at work.  Gotta love it!

• Like 1

I miss being in Tennessee for the classifieds. Here in Kentucky they are a joke. Folks are asking over MSRP for all sorts of items with heavy use. There is a thread right now on a forum by a poster asking why his featureless homebuilt AR isn't selling at $500 even though he has bumped it daily for a month and he has well over $1000 (by his counting) invested...

To be honest, (I haven't linked it, or posted it) I have mentioned points from TGO David's post about selling in this market (and given credit ;) ) in response to several questions on the local board regarding selling.

I suppose that we take it for granted, but for any of us that haven't left TN, let me make it clear, you are members of the premier local based gun forum, hands down.

• Administrator

Feel free to link it or post it if you want.  Those thoughts are just the sum of my rumination on the current state of things and don't represent any sort of copyrighted epiphany.   I imagine many others have thought the same things I did long before I hammered that out.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
49 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I honestly don't remember us ever having a dedicated NFA classifieds.  My intention would be for anything NFA to be listed in the appropriate category.

• A short barrel rifle or shotgun would go in the firearms classifieds and the seller should indicate that it is NFA.
  • An AOW would go in the firearms classifieds, same as above.
  • A suppressor would go in the accessories classifieds and the seller should indicate that it is NFA.

The sticky wicket of NFA items is that the purchase of them of course involves a tax stamp or being a Class 2 or Class 3 SOT.  In the case of private parties transferring NFA items to one another when neither is a SOT holder, the buyer would have to apply for and receive their tax stamp from the BATFE before the seller can give the item to them.  Since that could be months, up to or exceeding a year currently, the buyer would ostensibly give the seller the money for the item and then wait that period of time and hope that the seller doesn't skip town, lose or damage the item being purchased. 

Reading through this blog entry here (click me) it sounds like there's twice the taxation involved in doing this through an FFL.

I am currently involved in a private party NFA transfer.  The only reason that I am doing it in that manner is that the other party is one of my closest friends. I trust him implicitly, therefore I am comfortable buying a can from him.  Anyone else outside of a core group of friends? Not going to happen. 

• Like 1

Sadly, I ran out of time and money at the moment. Hope to get back to taking advantage of some of this activity soon. Maybe when I settle into the new job and finally get the $$$ my past employer owes me.

For now I watch from the sideline..... :cry:

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Feel free to link it or post it if you want.  Those thoughts are just the sum of my rumination on the current state of things and don't represent any sort of copyrighted epiphany.   I imagine many others have thought the same things I did long before I hammered that out.

Thank you.

19 hours ago, TGO David said:

For regular NFA items probably not, for a MG yes, I'd drive to the end of the state fitting these criteria's

1. face to face with the seller, you can make a better judgement on who your dealing with and you can test it out..

2. 50/50 payment is another good option with a individual vrs a gun shop.

3. F4 to F4 "in state" no dealer involvement or transfer fee's, just 1 stamp fee.

4. No state sales tax 

• Like 1

I have gun money burning a hole in my pocket. I’ve tried to buy an AR pistol, and am right now trying to buy a bolt action rifle. I post on all three of the big sites and haven’t had any offers on what I want that were under what I can buy new for. Although I will say I am pretty specific on what I want.

Trumps good for us, but the used gun market has slowed to a crawl. (From what I see actually being sold)

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, my82cam said:

I’m about to post a custom rock river lar8. Will be the most expensive thing I’ve posted for sale. But I agree, very nice things listed lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're good. Are you a salesman by trade?:D

• Like 1