A2 carry handle on an AR pistol

Ronald_55

Posting in another thread I came up with the question: Is an A2 carry handle legal on an AR pistol? If so could you mounted at a 90゚ angle on the handguard rail and still be legal? Mounted under the rail might be questionable as it could be seen as a forward grip. Or would it?

I came up with this when trying to find a good way to mount a sling to the M-lock rail on one of my 9mm AR pistols. It is easy to arrach a rail piece or mount to the M-lock, but the lack if a stock makes the other end a challenge (to me at least). 

@TGO David

I don't have a pic of the setup, but here is a close example of what one if mine looks like. The other has a Sig brace on it. There are sights on each. 

CMMG-AR-Pistols-in-9mm-and-.300-AAC-Blackout-_-New-Product-5-600x384.1421392345.jpg

I thought with a M-Lock rail piece you could add an A2 handle to the side of the foregrip. Not sure how functional or comfortable it would be. Just an idea that popped into my head. 

7 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

The carry handle as in sight/handle? Yeah, that would be legal. Any type of VFG is not legal though.

I have reread your post several times and I am not sure I am getting it though, are you using standard nomenclature? 

See the above pic. I wanted to mount the handle to the side of the foregrip on a m-lock mounted rail piece not on the top rail. Does that clarify?

34 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Well this came up while looking at sling mounts, but is a separate idea. Yeah, I admit it is goofy, but might be a decent hand hold while firing. Lots of my ideas are goofy.  The one with a Sig brace is not an issue as I can shoulder it legally now. The one without is a little harder to hold  for me.

I am new to AR pistols and am just playing with ideas. 

You can put an AFG on it. That's legal. That can help with the fore grip. Some people like them, others don't.

On an 11.5", I think it's optional to have something that works as a hand stop, but if yours is shorter then I highly recommend getting something to work as a hand stop. I have long arms so it would be real easy to get my hand too far out front so I keep a Magpul AFG on mine, even with an 11.5" bbl.

Something I don't know....would it be legal to mount a VFG on the side of the hand guard? I'm thinking 90 degree mount, like what you'd commonly find on an angle grinder or hammer drill. The device is sold as a vertical fore grip, but if it's mounted horizontally, is it still a vertical fore grip?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

You can put an AFG on it. That's legal. That can help with the fore grip. Some people like them, others don't.

On an 11.5", I think it's optional to have something that works as a hand stop, but if yours is shorter then I highly recommend getting something to work as a hand stop. I have long arms so it would be real easy to get my hand too far out front so I keep a Magpul AFG on mine, even with an 11.5" bbl.

Something I don't know....would it be legal to mount a VFG on the side of the hand guard? I'm thinking 90 degree mount, like what you'd commonly find on an angle grinder or hammer drill. The device is sold as a vertical fore grip, but if it's mounted horizontally, is it still a vertical fore grip?

It would be interesting, but I guess the ATF would still call it a VFG.

I under stand and do not see an issue, as it wont be a VFG. It will be parallel to the barrel mounted to the side of the hand guard. It gives you a place to put your fingers. Just my $0.02 it will look like crap, but to each their own.

47 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I under stand and do not see an issue, as it wont be a VFG. It will be parallel to the barrel mounted to the side of the hand guard. It gives you a place to put your fingers. Just my $0.02 it will look like crap, but to each their own.

According to my wife, everything I do looks like crap, so it would be on par. :biglol:

This is more of a "what-if" than an exercise in practicality or aestetics. I just thought it was outside the box and could well enhance the grip at from over just a rail. Plus lots of people have handles lying around in their extra  parts bucket. In a pinch this would suffice. I am not real picky on parts though. 

13 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

Most A2 handguards mount via a picatinny rail, how would you mount that to a MOE handguard?

You have to add a MOE rail first. The longest one has 11 slots, not sure how many a carry handle spans? Might have to use two.

And btw FWIW, this is one of the more absurd AR15 accessorizing ideas I've ever heard of. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

You have to add a MOE rail first. The longest one has 12 slots, not sure how many a carry handle spans? Might have to use two.

And btw FWIW, this is one of the more absurd AR15 accessorizing ideas I've ever heard of. :)

- OS

OS, I am glad you agree with everyone else on this. I never said it was practical. Lol

Edited by Ronald_55
8 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

Most A2 handguards mount via a picatinny rail, how would you mount that to a MOE handguard?

As OS said, you attach rails to the MOE hand guards using MOE rails. then you attach whatever you want to the rails. Basically the same as M-Lock, but different rail pieces made for Magpul's proprietary MOE slots.

moehg_05.jpg

1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

As OS said, you attach rails to the MOE hand guards using MOE rails. then you attach whatever you want to the rails. Basically the same as M-Lock, but different rail pieces made for Magpul's proprietary MOE slots.

moehg_05.jpg

I probably need to get some of those two. One of my ARs has the Moe

On 10/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Posting in another thread I came up with the question: Is an A2 carry handle legal on an AR pistol? If so could you mounted at a 90゚ angle on the handguard rail and still be legal? Mounted under the rail might be questionable as it could be seen as a forward grip. Or would it?

I came up with this when trying to find a good way to mount a sling to the M-lock rail on one of my 9mm AR pistols. It is easy to arrach a rail piece or mount to the M-lock, but the lack if a stock makes the other end a challenge (to me at least). 

There are a ton of end pieces that have a QD socket or a loop on them. That's what most people use. The Shockwave has some slits you could use for a sling. I'd make sure you got a good hold with a M-lock sling mount. I didn't have much luck with the magpul one on my 308.

I use the magpul ASAP plate on all my ARs that get a sling for the rear point.

On 10/24/2017 at 5:50 AM, Ronald_55 said:

@TGO David

I don't have a pic of the setup, but here is a close example of what one if mine looks like. The other has a Sig brace on it. There are sights on each. 

CMMG-AR-Pistols-in-9mm-and-.300-AAC-Blackout-_-New-Product-5-600x384.1421392345.jpg

I thought with a M-Lock rail piece you could add an A2 handle to the side of the foregrip. Not sure how functional or comfortable it would be. Just an idea that popped into my head. 

That little round hole on the hand guard should be a QD sling socket. And in the pic you can see the loop on an end plate like I was talking about.