Do you tip your barber?

john455

I got my ears lowered today, I have went to the same barber shop all my life Rubles in Newport. While sitting there waiting for my turn with my favorite barber I just happened to notice that most people didn't tip the barber when he finished. I always tip my barber if he does a good job and keeps me entertained while cutting my hair, just wondering if I am the odd one on this?

Being I have not cut my hair in close to 7 years, think of all the money I have saved. I know some cut their hair at home and think it does not cost, but it does. Electric power is not free, nor your time or the time of the ones that do the cutting. So yes I have saved money.:blah:

To answer the OP question, depends on how long, how good or how it looked as to a tip.

Yep, I have always tipped my barber. Most barbers are self employed, but many of them still work together in a shop where they pay the owner of the shop an agreed upon percentage of the agreed upon fixed fee that they all charge for a haircut. If they had their own shop, they could charge what they want, and then I might not tip, but with the arrangement that most of them work under, they rely on those tips. The shop I go to probably doesn't charge enough anyway, so I don't mind tipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Always tip my barber.  Anybody that uses a straight edge razor on my neck I want to keep happy.

I've never had a shave at Rubles, they offer it, and I've thought about it 100 times but haven't gotten the nerve up to trust someone with a razor at my neck yet.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, john455 said:

I've never had a shave at Rubles, they offer it, and I've thought about it 100 times but haven't gotten the nerve up to trust someone with a razor at my neck yet.

It is kinda exciting knowing that with one hiccup or sneeze you could be sol.  lol

2 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Yeah I do but I go to a country barber that probably doesn't charge near enough anyway. Besides...I've been going there for 22 years and I'm pretty sure he's never repeated one of his stories.

Yeah I've been going to the same Barber shop since I started getting hair cuts, use to get it cut by Ruble SR, now by his son Ruble JR since SR retired, I used super cuts once or twice when I was working out of town, and when I went back Ruble SR knew I had gotten my hair cut by someone else. I felt like I had cheated or something when he mentioned it to me lol. The stories and banter are just as important to me as the good haircut.

I got my ears lowered today, I have went to the same barber shop all my life Rubles in Newport. While sitting there waiting for my turn with my favorite barber I just happened to notice that most people didn't tip the barber when he finished. I always tip my barber if he does a good job and keeps me entertained while cutting my hair, just wondering if I am the odd one on this?

Yes I do. Usually a couple of dollars. Haven't used a Stylist since I was a teenager... along time ago.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I use to go to a buddy of mine that was a barber and fellow fisherman and I always tipped him. After he had a stroke and could no longer cut hair my daughter had finished her schooling and she began cutting my hair and trimming my beard. Some times she is to busy to cut it and I have to call her and tell ere I'm beginning to be mistaken for a Big Foot and she comes by and cuts it....LOL