Update on my best friend Kasey

bersaguy

I didn't sleep to well last night so feel lousey this mornng. Then I got my coffee and biscuit and would normally be making her breakfast to but didn't have to. Then I turned on my computer and my wall paper is a picture of her and that just added insult to my already depressed feelings. I started to change it but decided not to. I will begin making changes in my house today and moving things around some. I need to get here memory Foam matress bed out of the livingroom which will open up one whole corner but then might put that off a while. Don't need the space anyway.

I have had about 6 different friends of mine here locally tell me to go look at some of the local Rescue Dog Centers and get another dog. I don't think I am ready for that yet!  I want to bring her home first and Vet said it should be Friday but could be Monday when I could come and get her. I was going to get her a very fancy urn but a friend of mine that is a finishing carpenter that builds things for a hobby has requested I let him build her an Urn. He knew Kasey and she knew him. So she will be coming home in a basic one and later moved to her final one when it is completed. I think he wants to do something nice for her out of respect for her. I know it may sound strange but Kasey played a roll in the lives of all my friends that came to visit often as she would interact with all of them while they were here so they were her friends as much as mine.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  There are days when one of the few bright spots is when I walk in the door and my Millie comes running to greet me or starts wagging her tail as I walk up to her.  Kasey was fortunate to have you and you were fortunate to have her.  If and when the time is right to get another companion and friend I am sure you will know.  I had my last pup - Mia (a chihuahua - maybe the best, most atypical chihuahua ever) for 16 years and when she passed I swore I wouldn't have another dog for a long time.  Well, a fairly short time later a lady at the Crossville Flea Market had pups to give away.  She was giving them away early (about four weeks) because their mom was biting them and she was afraid the mom was going to kill them.  I held one of them and she climbed up so she could brace her front paws on my chest and lick my face.  That is when I knew that she - Millie - had already decided I was her human.  You need time to grieve but when the time comes, don't feel bad as if you are trying to 'replace' Kasey.  She can't be replaced in your life or in your heart.  That doesn't mean you can't love a new four-legged friend, too, however.  I am sure Kasey would want you to be happy and would probably want to know that she has a successor to help take care of you.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, JAB said:

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  There are days when one of the few bright spots is when I walk in the door and my Millie comes running to greet me or starts wagging her tail as I walk up to her.  Kasey was fortunate to have you and you were fortunate to have her.  If and when the time is right to get another companion and friend I am sure you will know.  I had my last pup - Mia (a chihuahua - maybe the best, most atypical chihuahua ever) for 16 years and when she passed I swore I wouldn't have another dog for a long time.  Well, a fairly short time later a lady at the Crossville Flea Market had pups to give away.  She was giving them away early (about four weeks) because their mom was biting them and she was afraid the mom was going to kill them.  I held one of them and she climbed up so she could brace her front paws on my chest and lick my face.  That is when I knew that she - Millie - had already decided I was her human.  You need time to grieve but when the time comes, don't feel bad as if you are trying to 'replace' Kasey.  She can't be replaced in your life or in your heart.  That doesn't mean you can't love a new four-legged friend, too, however.  I am sure Kasey would want you to be happy and would probably want to know that she has a successor to help take care of you.

That was very well said. I think that in the scheme of things, animals in general, and dogs specifically, are the rewards of life. I've said it before, and still believe this...the love and affection of a dog is the closest thing on this earth to the love we are given from God. Nowhere else to we find such total and undemanding love in this world.

I had to make the decision to let my Cody go just into my chemotheraphy back in 2008. In 45 degree weather, against the wishes of many people, I dug a grave for her in one of Cody's favorite spots in our yard. Under a Crepe Myrtle tree overlooking our yard and beside a spring she loved to play in. I did this for me and for her. I swore no more would I go thru this pain. She had been a constant companion for 16 years, and always greeted me at the door after a chemo session. Got in bed with me and slept beside me.

I was a total basket case. We had just moved my mother in with us. She had fallen and needed care. Care my wonderful wife undertook without a complaint. She watched over the two of us and still worked.

Mom and I just sort of existed, moving only when absolutely necessary; and getting warnings from my wife that we had to get up and move about.

About three weeks later, on a Friday evening, my wife Susan came in late. Came into the living room and said that she had a solution for our lack of getting up.

Then opened her coat and placed the little black and white spotted puppy in my lap. She, the puppy, sniffed me and my robe, looked up at me with those deep brown eyes, and peed in my lap.

Then crawled up in my arms. I had been marked and claimed forever. 

That was 9 years ago. Molly has taken my heart as much as my wife and I could ever believe possible.

Molly has been such a blessing for our family. As she grew older, Molly entertained my mother, and would sit in her lap. Always went to check on her as we went to bed. Many times we would find her sleeping in the bed with Mom. We took her to visit my Mother and other patients when Mom had to go to a care facility. Always ran thru the halls, stopping to lick hands and faces, get a pat or two, then run into the right room. Always sniffed Mom out. Would stay in bed with here as long as we were there.

When we lost Mom, and started bringing her things home, Molly went to her old bedroom and sniffed and whined looking for her.

I told that Mom was gone. Molly crawled into my lap and slept with me in a chair all night.

These are creatures of wonder, meant to give companionship and solace meant to give light to our lives. I'll never believe otherwise.

Read W. Bruce Cameron, author of A Dog's Purpose, and other books. You will see.

Again Doug, I'm saddened by your loss. Perhaps words will comfort you, I hope so.

• Like 4

Kasey laid claim to the back seat of the Jeep the day I brought it home and loved to ride and I would take her to a park down the road from the house and she wold chase all the squirrels up the trees and chase all the geese into the lake that were on the grass and then turn and look at me for approval and I would say good job and she was happy. I have her collar hanging on my rear view mirror so every time the Jeep goes so does she. Coming home is still hard not having her meet me at the door when I open it. So far I have had 5 people offer to help me find a Rescue Dog and some have even shown me pictures of dogs up for adoption but most if not all are Males and if I have another it will be another female. I have told them that if the time comes that I am ready I have a feeling the right dog will find me just as all the that mean tom cat I shot that was trying to kill Kasey 17 years ago did. The cat had stolen her out of a litter of pups somewhere and the animal control guy had been trying for months to catch the cat in cage traps all around my house but the cat was to smart to go in one. I bet the cat weighed 20 lbs. I put a 22 short in the cats hear and rescued Kasey from it. Had to bottle feed her because she was probably only a week or so old and I had no idea where her mother was. I called the guy from animal control and told him I had to cat and he needed to come and get it. When he showed up and saw the cat was shot he looked at me and msiled and said well, thats one way of doing it, loaded the dead cat up and left. It is against the law to discharge a firearm inside but he never said a word about it.

14 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Kasey laid claim to the back seat of the Jeep the day I brought it home and loved to ride and I would take her to a park down the road from the house and she wold chase all the squirrels up the trees and chase all the geese into the lake that were on the grass and then turn and look at me for approval and I would say good job and she was happy. I have her collar hanging on my rear view mirror so every time the Jeep goes so does she. Coming home is still hard not having her meet me at the door when I open it. So far I have had 5 people offer to help me find a Rescue Dog and some have even shown me pictures of dogs up for adoption but most if not all are Males and if I have another it will be another female. I have told them that if the time comes that I am ready I have a feeling the right dog will find me just as all the that mean tom cat I shot that was trying to kill Kasey 17 years ago did. The cat had stolen her out of a litter of pups somewhere and the animal control guy had been trying for months to catch the cat in cage traps all around my house but the cat was to smart to go in one. I bet the cat weighed 20 lbs. I put a 22 short in the cats hear and rescued Kasey from it. Had to bottle feed her because she was probably only a week or so old and I had no idea where her mother was. I called the guy from animal control and told him I had to cat and he needed to come and get it. When he showed up and saw the cat was shot he looked at me and msiled and said well, thats one way of doing it, loaded the dead cat up and left. It is against the law to discharge a firearm inside but he never said a word about it.

I guess he figured cats spring leaks all the time. :devil:

• Like 1

When I first moved here back in 1998 there was a family about 5 doors down from me that had cats galore. Inside and out side. When they moved the house landlord had to spend 1,000 of dollars to get the smell out of the house and then had to remodel the whole inside of the house. When they moved they left about 40 to 50 cats loose in the neighborhood. I had cats every where. I called animal control and he brought me 5 cage traps and food to put in them and every day for about a month I called him to come and pick up the trapped cats. He would ask me how many and he would bring that many new traps and food for them. I think it took about 2 months to finally get them all caught except that big Yellow tom Cat that was to smart for a cage trap but not to smart to dodge a speeding bullet..........:clap:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well Kasey is back home. Vet called yesterday to tell me she had been returned and was ready for pick up. I went right then and got her. This time she got to ride in the front seat of the Jeep!!!!

Glad she is back home. I'm sure her spirit enjoyed the ride and being back with you. 

• Like 1