Question Regarding Love of Glocks

CJDore

I have to ask this at the risk of offending many on this site. What is the reason that so many here seem to own and love the Glock brand? Is it because local LEOs are using these? To me they are the most God awful looking handgun and are roughly the same price as a Sig, Beretta, ETC.  If I am going to shell out $600, it better not look bland as tupperware. I would buy a Sig, Beretta, H&K any and all times rather than buying a single generic looking Glock.

Until the past few years, nothing really matched the size, weight, and reliability of Glock. I've never been a big fan of Beretta. Sig quality isn't nearly what it used to be, and H&K's have historically been really expensive. Keep in mind that all of the companies you mentioned are trying to make guns that rival Glock. Why is that?

Glocks are ugly, not the most ergonomic, and no longer innovative but they usually work very well.  I do agree that as of 2017 there are probably better options for $500 than a Glock 19. 

• Like 1

Because traditionally the Sig, HK, and Beretta were DA/SA guns and usually more expensive. A relatively light trigger that is the same every time with no manual safety has merit. Lower cost than a new Sig, HK or Beretta. And marketed heavily, whether that is through dirt cheap prices to PDs or heavy use in Hollywood and pop culture.

They're as exciting as dry white toast and as common as sand on the beach, but they're about as reliable as it gets. Kind of like Honda Accords.

There's some truth to the adage "Have a Kimber to show your friends. Have a Glock to show your enemies."

I agree that some others have come on the market in the past few years that rival Glocks in reliability and simplicity without being uglier than the girl nobody wants to admit they made out with. The Smith & Wesson M&P line comes to mind and it's cheaper.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
Because you can gets parts and magazines at every gun store in America?
And, because they work.  

And to me, even more importantly, the magazines, parts, and accessories are generally much cheaper but yet produce excellent results per dollar spent compared to other brands.

Also, compatibility between 19/17/26 and 23/22/27 is, in my opinion, unmatched with any other handgun system out there regarding magazines, internals, and holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

This is an instance of beauty in the eye of the beholder, I love the way my Glocks look; plain, black, simple lines.......and they work, every time I pull the trigger.

I've used Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas extensively overseas, and I've had several environmental induced malfunctions with Sigs and Berettas, but not the Glocks. Don't get me wrong, these were tough conditions that would have choked out most weapon systems, but the Glocks kept chugging, even grittier than a wet SEAL rolled in sand. 

As for esthetics, while I have nothing per say against the look of most Sigs, I dislike the look of most Berettas, and pretty much all H&K handguns.

Thankfully, the beauty of Americas' great gun culture is that it is a cornucopia of options, so even though we may not agree on which ones we favor, we can all walk away with a lighter wallet and a bang stick we can be proud of. 

• Like 2

I own a pair of G19s. I am accurate with them, and I trust my life, and my family's lives with them.

I am a single action revolver guy. I grew up with a Ruger Single Six as the only handgun in the home. That is what I know. When my daughter was born, I knew it was time to move up to something more... modern. I spent about a year researching all the top brands at a price point I was comfortable with. I wanted something that I could trust with the most important things in my life. Over and over again, review after review, professional opinion, opinionated opinion and experienced opinion, it came back to a Glock. I am a 9x19mm guy by default (I inherited 10k rounds) and after just as much research I decided that the G17 or the G19 was exactly what I needed. I then headed to the LGS and spent an hour holding a G17 and a G19. My G19 followed me home, with a serial number I can recite off the top of my head. I have lost count of the rounds, but it has been a lot, several training courses, two HCP/CCDW courses, etc. The only failures have been expected (Korean 33 RD mags suck.)

I trust XXX589 so much that last year I went out and bought another G19, this one USA marked. It is even more accurate. 

Sigs have poor triggers, and cost too much. I have zero experience with H&Ks because they cost too much. Berettas have external safeties and cost to much. Being a Glock devout now, I am anti external safety. I believe in the point and click that Glock has indoctrinated me in. In a moment of 'OH SHI*!' it will not fail me due to an extra step or two.  

This year I bought my now eleven year old daughter (for her birthday) her choice of handgun, and if Glock made a .22LR handgun, it would have been that. Since they don't, she will be indoctrinated into the world of S&W with her M&P22. It fit the price range I was willing to pay, and if you have seen the pictures I have posted, she can shoot the heck out of it.

Gun aficionados can argue as much as they like, but steel is a 1911 world, modern polymer is a Glock world. I own plenty of modern and classic firearms, but the Glocks are what I trust. They have proven themselves to me.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 3

Don't worry about offending. I think we know that's not your intention. Some on here probably like Ford, Dodge, or Chevy trucks and I like Toyota. That's why they make different guns.  

Personally I am taking a hiatus from Glocks. I've been running them at work and at home for over 20 years. May give them another shot one day, but not right now. In fact, I had set two G19s up for myself, then turned around and gave both of them to my son. Right now I'm running a Beretta 92 when I'm off work, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. 

That said, the Glocks, while not the absolute perfection that Gaston and the factory parrots would have us believe, are generally very reliable. I think that's always been the appeal. It has been proven that they will take abuse and neglect and keep wagging their tail. I have seen and had some bobbles over the years with the Glocks chambered in .40S&W (cursed be it's name forevermore),  but I never have with the 9mm versions. I'm sure it's happened, as anything man made can fail, but we do know the reliability is there. 

Just like anything else, each one has his/her preference. Nothing wrong with em at all, unless it just doesn't fit you personally. And that requirement is one that I have always believed to be very important. 

• Like 2

I have 2 Sigs and 1 Beretta and have never had a fail with either. Today's guns are made to be reliable and Glocks certainly does not have the best anymore. You have to really love your Glocks to say that they are not plain Jane looking or even butt ugly. I can also get any part for any of my pistols with very little effort.

Edited by CJDore
grammar
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, CJDore said:

I have 2 Sigs and 1 Beretta and have never had a fail with either. Today's guns are made to be reliable and Glocks certainly does not have the best anymore. You have to really love your Glocks to say that they are not plain Jane looking or even butt ugly. I can also get any part for any of my pistols with very little effort.

Do you own, or have you shot any Glocks? Or are you just trying to incite conversation?

1 minute ago, Murgatroy said:

Do you own, or have you shot any Glocks? Or are you just trying to incite conversation?

I have shot Glocks and see no value in them. My Beretta 92fs and 2 Sigs have performed perfectly and each looks a lot better than any Glock sold today or yesterday.

5 hours ago, CJDore said:

I have shot Glocks and see no value in them. My Beretta 92fs and 2 Sigs have performed perfectly and each looks a lot better than any Glock sold today or yesterday.

Having owned several SIG's, I conversely see no value in them. Only because they don't shoot well for ME. They are excellent, just not my "cup o' tea." I prefer consistent trigger pull.

1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

Having owned several SIG's, I conversely see no value in them. Only because they don't shoot well for ME. They are excellent, just not my "cup o' tea." I prefer consistent trigger pull.

Harp it is not that hard to change out a trigger......just saying. For each his own I guess. Consistent trigger pull is a new reason to love your Glock I guess. But the reliability falls a bit on deaf ears as my Beretta and Sigs have performed flawlessly as do most firearms made in last 20 years.

Edited by CJDore
38 minutes ago, CJDore said:

For each his own I guess... But the reliability falls a bit on deaf ears...

Exactly. I don't think I mentioned reliability, though.

So, did you want honest opinions, or just a pissing match? Your responses seem to suggest the latter. :confused:

Edited by Steelharp
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Exactly. I don't think I mentioned reliability, though.

So, did you want honest opinions, or just a pissing match? Your responses seem to suggest the latter. :confused:

Harp I did want honest opinions as I have a hard time personally feeling like that I would ever buy a Glock. Hate the look and reliability is a yank my chain quality as all of my firearms are rock steady reliable.