Question Regarding Love of Glocks

CJDore

I have a Glock 23, I have had it since the late 80s., it is my EDC most times and is as reliable as the day I bought it.  I don't consider Glocks ugly, there are a few out there that esthetically anyway just don't meet my standards so I don't buy them.  I own other makes and models, a Browning HP, Springfield and Kimber  1911, Rugger Mark II, Springfield XDs and yes even a dreaded Jennings .22, and all except the Jennings work flawlessly.  On duty, I've carried a handful of different ones, the Berretta 92 most often, but have carried a Glock, Sig  and an H&K for short durations.  Never really considered any one of them less reliable than an other, always felt assured they would go bang if/when needed.  

Bottom line is, I buy what I want and what I like, and Glock (and the .40, but that's another argument right there) has a place in my stable.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, CJDore said:

Harp I did want honest opinions as I have a hard time personally feeling like that I would ever buy a Glock. Hate the look and reliability is a yank my chain quality as all of my firearms are rock steady reliable.

Just curious what your end game is with this post? You asked for people's opinions but are responding to their responses like a dick. I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you into a Glock. You asked for opinions and people are giving them. Regardless of the topic (Glocks, 9mm vs .45, Kardashians) your methodology here is flawed and rude.

Im happy for you that all your guns are great, and I'm happy that mine are great for me......what's the problem with that?

1 minute ago, Danger Rane said:

Just curious what your end game is with this post? You asked for people's opinions but are responding to their responses like a dick. I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you into a Glock. You asked for opinions and people are giving them. Regardless of the topic (Glocks, 9mm vs .45, Kardashians) your methodology here is flawed and rude.

Im happy for you that all your guns are great, and I'm happy that mine are great for me......what's the problem with that?

How have I acted lick a dick? I am just trying to understand why anyone buys Glocks and seem loyal to them......the prevalent answer is reliability which I think most guns are these days. Harp mentioned a continuous trigger pull but that is easily fixed with most firearms.

CJ...Then be happy with your choices.

Having read this thread twice now,it seems like you're trolling for a negative response. People are merely sharing their experiences...not trying to change your mind nor persuade you purchase a Glock.

I happen to carry a Glock 19 for the past 20 years, better than 50K of rounds through it...but that's an example of one and an opinion of one.

I could care less what others choose other than a passing interest ... to each their own CJ.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

In the firearms of your choice, the "fix" is DAO or SAO. That's pretty much it. I don't see those as "fixes."

My questions is; why I should have to "fix" anything?  If I don't like the way it looks, feels, or shoots..I don't buy it.  The only time I ponder what trigger to install is when I am assembling my current build, and even there I don't buy any of these high speed triggers (unless I find a killer deal).  Now if a weapon I own starts to feel a bit different, shoot different, or otherwise feel funny, then maybe I'll look to replace something, otherwise they will stay with whatever parts I got them with.  I put tritium sites on my G23, and a laser, and due to me sending it in for one of the recalls (for which I never had an issue with BTW), a new lower.  I replaced my trigger on my 10/22, but that was because after ~25 years and thousands of rounds it needed some work.  My Kimber has an excellent trigger, much smoother than my Glock, but doesn't make me want to screw with my Glock, or any of my other weapons.  I thought of replacing the trigger on my Rem 700 when the recall came out (just because it was close to hunting season), but after looking at the prices of most triggers out there I sent it in and guess what, it hits where I aim it.

I don't knock those who do, but myself I can't see spending a ton of money on parts that will not make my gun shoot that much ($$$) better.

Edited by Omega
speeling
  • Like 1

That is a pretty broad statement you are making.  Most firearms have not performed flawlessly in the past 20 years.  Read some reviews.  Do some research and you find there have been a lot of flawed firearms, some made by the big name producers of handguns.  Your statement is incorrect.

Edited by rbishop
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, CJDore said:

I have shot Glocks and see no value in them. My Beretta 92fs and 2 Sigs have performed perfectly and each looks a lot better than any Glock sold today or yesterday.

I also own a Beretta 92FS/M9 and that steel frame makes the Beretta easy to shoot accurately. With some fat Hogue rubber grips that thing soaks up the recoil. But next to a G17 or G19, it's a boat anchor. There's no way I'd carry it. Even if you consider them equally reliable, there's no getting around that extra weight. Besides that, there's no safe way to carry a 92FS/M9 cocked and locked and no trigger job in the world is going to make that first DA pull consistent with the subsequent SA pulls. Finally, I don't want an external safety on a defensive carry gun. Ever. Glock wins the carry argument over the Beretta for me, hands down.

For a range gun, I prefer the Beretta. The Glock's not harsh, but the Beretta is almost marshmallow soft. Plus when my wife shoots it, it's so bit that it looks like she's working a Desert Eagle. :) 

Alright CJ, let's try this. You don't like Glocks, probably don't like anything about them. You probably don't like the way they look, the way they feel, or the way they shoot. You will probably never buy one. And I'm guessing it's because you don't think it's the right gun for you (and there ain't one thing wrong with that).

BUT, you ARE curious as to what draws people to them, correct? Should you have stated that up front a little more clearly? Well, maybe. BUT, I'm the knothead who likes to read between the lines and I figured all that out from the get-go. 

So, what draws people to Glock is, again, reliability, ease of operation, easy parts availability, easy customization, "it's what LE uses, or what .mil uses," "it's what some of the bearded high speed low drag guys use," OR - they just happen to be what some folks like. AND, let's face it, some people are drawn to them because that's what "other people" like.

Reliability: Like I said earlier, for the most part they have proven to be reliable. Again, I have used them in one capacity or other for over 20 years, and I am a Glock armorer as well, and I don't believe, nor would I say, that they are the last word in reliability. For example, if I didn't know that my 92FS had been as reliable, I wouldn't depend on it. And with some of the JUNK that's still produced out there today, the guns that have established a reputation for reliability deserve a continued place at the dinner table, even if they are Glocks.

Ease of operation: The fact that there is virtually nothing to fool with externally has always been a selling point for some. Good, Bad, Ugly? That's up to each end user.

Easy parts availability: Thanks to Glock's MASSIVE marketing effort over the years, the guns and the parts are everywhere. You can go into just about any gun store and find mags and parts for Glocks. That is also one of their selling points. ME? I ordered parts for the 92 from Wilson, Beretta, and Wolff, and mags from Grabagun, and just waited a few days. No big deal either way for me.

Easy customization: Almost everywhere offers some form of customization for Glocks, and I'm sure it's because of their popularity. And there's tons of videos out there on customizing you can do yourself. So far, I like doing all the work on my own guns after I study long enough to figure out what the heck I'm doing. But, that's not some people's cup of tea.

"It's what LE uses or .mil uses": That, for me, never has been the biggest selling point. But it has been one of their selling points. I can see the point of view there as far as logistics are concerned. After all, those same kind of logistics have helped the legions of Beretta owners over the years. Makes sense that if a particular brand/model is in broad use by LE, military, or gub-mint, then there's probably going to be a larger supportive manufacturing base and product R&D to follow, probably translating into more "stuff" available. That said, I'll keep using my Marlin Texan. :angel:

"It's what the 'cool kids' use": That has it's own set of problems for me, because I've always had a desire to go against the grain when it comes to popularity. But, let's face it, if the cool kids use it, then there will be people out there who will proclaim that nothing else will do. 

Which brings me to the final item on that list: It's just what some folks like. Buy and use what fits and works for you and you alone. There are people (yes, yes there are) who will try to sway other folks' opinion based on what they themselves want. And some of those are even arrogant enough to really believe that everyone else should use and do what they themselves use and do. Now Glocks seem to fit some people just right. They never have fit me just exactly right, they never have slinked into my hand like a 92 or a CZ, but I always worked around that. But I never have tried to tell someone else what they need.

To me, every last one of these points I've made here are completely dependent on whether or not each point appeals to you. These points are simply my opinion on what has made Glock so popular. 

The reason I made the point about being able to abuse and neglect Glocks is not the fact that my Beretta can't handle it. It's because I care too much about the Beretta to do that. That, for me, would be one of the selling points of the Glock, and the reason that I might well own another one. The fact appeals to me that none of the MANY Glocks I've owned over the years have held a special place in my heart. I can place it on the shelf or in the truck right next to my Estwing hammer and not have deep feelings for it, since Glocks only occupy the position of a tool - FOR ME. Others' mileage can and does vary.

At the end of the day, my Stepfather drives a Chevy 4x4, a good friend of mine drives an F250, another drives a Dodge, and yet another drives a Jeep. I don't berate them and tell them they are wrong because they don't drive a Toyota Tundra. Each one of us makes our choice based on what appeals to our sense of value, reliability, and usefulness. And no one tells us what to use to meet our needs. You're in the same boat.

Hope that helps.

Edited by res308
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, res308 said:

There are people (yes, yes there are) who will try to sway other folks' opinion based on what they themselves want. And some of those are even arrogant enough to really believe that everyone else should use and do what they themselves use and do.

I could name an instructor, but... nah.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, res308 said:

"It's what LE uses or .mil uses": That, for me, never has been the biggest selling point. But it has been one of their selling points. I can see the point of view there as far as logistics are concerned. After all, those same kind of logistics have helped the legions of Beretta owners over the years. Makes sense that if a particular brand/model is in broad use by LE, military, or gub-mint, then there's probably going to be a larger supportive manufacturing base and product R&D to follow, probably translating into more "stuff" available. That said, I'll keep using my Marlin Texan. :angel:

That right there was one of the primary reasons I owned my Berretta 92, my ARs, and yes my AK.  Not because I wanted to be "cool", parts, and all that other stuff, it was mainly because I felt my life could depend on my being real familiar with those platforms.  Once I retired, then I wasn't as worried about that anymore because now, I just have to be familiar with my EDC, and my other owned weapon systems.

There's some value in using what the cool kids use. I don't have the resources to torture test dozens of types of firearms over years of harsh conditions. Operators operating operationally do and they learned what works and what doesn't. When choosing something I'm betting my life on, why not take advantage of their experience?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

There's some value in using what the cool kids use. I don't have the resources to torture test dozens of types of firearms over years of harsh conditions. Operators operating operationally do and they learned what works and what doesn't. When choosing something I'm betting my life on, why not take advantage of their experience?

Yeah I should've included that particular part of the point. I meant that people think they just HAVE to use something because they think someone else has made it "cool" and not for their own reasons. 

That being said, the testing and torture that a gun can endure in the mil is astronomical. I have to admit that it's one of the reasons the 92 does appeal to me. WIth the torture, torment, lack of maintenance, lack of parts replacement, lack of lubrication, (and did I mention living hell?) that certain guns have endured and, for the most part, keep on trucking, well that is confidence inspiring. 

I'm not a Glock guy, so I will chime in, especially on the customization perspective.

I love the simplicity and reliability that G-Locks provide.  I prefer the ergos of my CZs. Regarding the $500-$600 nib price point: a lot of great options today for less, but used is a different story.

My Glock started as a sub $300 Gen 2 G19. Off the Bowie Tactical for G26 grip cut and radius reduction, and NY1 "-" trigger.

Result is a great $600ish package. Reliability and simplicity I love, improved ergos, and with the 10 round mag, conceals height wise as well as my Kimber Micro. 

The extended mag gives enough additional grip to makes it fun to shoot and very controllable with the added bonus of the G19 site radius.

Whether you spend $450-$650 on the gun, by the time you upgrade sights, find the right holster, and obtain spare mags, I'll bet we are all within $100 comparing our go-to / primary handgun.

I can also argue my semi custom / higher end non G-Locks would have a substantially lower return on investment than Mrs. GtG's stock G3 G17 or my 19/26

20 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I was going to insert some Hi-Point torture tests, but remembered someone posted this a while back...

3 hours ago, res308 said:

Alright CJ, let's try this. You don't like Glocks, probably don't like anything about them. You probably don't like the way they look, the way they feel, or the way they shoot. You will probably never buy one. And I'm guessing it's because you don't think it's the right gun for you (and there ain't one thing wrong with that).

BUT, you ARE curious as to what draws people to them, correct? Should you have stated that up front a little more clearly? Well, maybe. BUT, I'm the knothead who likes to read between the lines and I figured all that out from the get-go. 

So, what draws people to Glock is, again, reliability, ease of operation, easy parts availability, easy customization, "it's what LE uses, or what .mil uses," "it's what some of the bearded high speed low drag guys use," OR - they just happen to be what some folks like. AND, let's face it, some people are drawn to them because that's what "other people" like.

Reliability: Like I said earlier, for the most part they have proven to be reliable. Again, I have used them in one capacity or other for over 20 years, and I am a Glock armorer as well, and I don't believe, nor would I say, that they are the last word in reliability. For example, if I didn't know that my 92FS had been as reliable, I wouldn't depend on it. And with some of the JUNK that's still produced out there today, the guns that have established a reputation for reliability deserve a continued place at the dinner table, even if they are Glocks.

Ease of operation: The fact that there is virtually nothing to fool with externally has always been a selling point for some. Good, Bad, Ugly? That's up to each end user.

Easy parts availability: Thanks to Glock's MASSIVE marketing effort over the years, the guns and the parts are everywhere. You can go into just about any gun store and find mags and parts for Glocks. That is also one of their selling points. ME? I ordered parts for the 92 from Wilson, Beretta, and Wolff, and mags from Grabagun, and just waited a few days. No big deal either way for me.

Easy customization: Almost everywhere offers some form of customization for Glocks, and I'm sure it's because of their popularity. And there's tons of videos out there on customizing you can do yourself. So far, I like doing all the work on my own guns after I study long enough to figure out what the heck I'm doing. But, that's not some people's cup of tea.

"It's what the 'cool kids' use": That has it's own set of problems for me, because I've always had a desire to go against the grain when it comes to popularity. But, let's face it, if the cool kids use it, then there will be people out there who will proclaim that nothing else will do. 

Which brings me to the final item on that list: It's just what some folks like. Buy and use what fits and works for you and you alone. There are people (yes, yes there are) who will try to sway other folks' opinion based on what they themselves want. And some of those are even arrogant enough to really believe that everyone else should use and do what they themselves use and do. Now Glocks seem to fit some people just right. They never have fit me just exactly right, they never have slinked into my hand like a 92 or a CZ, but I always worked around that. But I never have tried to tell someone else what they need.

To me, every last one of these points I've made here are completely dependent on whether or not each point appeals to you. These points are simply my opinion on what has made Glock so popular. 

The reason I made the point about being able to abuse and neglect Glocks is not the fact that my Beretta can't handle it. It's because I care too much about the Beretta to do that. That, for me, would be one of the selling points of the Glock, and the reason that I might well own another one. The fact appeals to me that none of the MANY Glocks I've owned over the years have held a special place in my heart. I can place it on the shelf or in the truck right next to my Estwing hammer and not have deep feelings for it, since Glocks only occupy the position of a tool - FOR ME. Others' mileage can and does vary.

At the end of the day, my Stepfather drives a Chevy 4x4, a good friend of mine drives an F250, another drives a Dodge, and yet another drives a Jeep. I don't berate them and tell them they are wrong because they don't drive a Toyota Tundra. Each one of us makes our choice based on what appeals to our sense of value, reliability, and usefulness. And no one tells us what to use to meet our needs. You're in the same boat.

Hope that helps.

Res that is exactly what I was looking for in my initial inquiry. Personally, I would never buy a Glock but I felt like I was missing something as so many of you on here seems to be in love with the brand. Thanks again res for telling many sides other than "it is reliable".

I will chime in.  I am a Sig guy myself, but I own lets say well North of 5+ Glocks.  They work, they are proven, and like others have said they get the job done.  So do the P series Sigs, with class.  However, its like taking the best looking girl to the prom, she is nice, sexy, gets all of the looks, and makes you look good and she will put out, but the ugly girl in the back may be ugly, not sexy, etc, but one thing is or sure, she most definitely will put out without fail.  

One more point, if I accidently dropped a Sig, I will fret if a scratch is made, but if the Glock drops, who cares.  BTW, I am not talking about dropping a P320!    

• Like 1