Question Regarding Love of Glocks

CJDore

YAAAAWWNN.......did I just wake up? /Pinch...yeah not dreaming.....hmm... This seems like a topic we were talking about with Tungsten, MolonLabe, The Rabbi, Steelharp, Kahrman and others back in 2007 here on TGO. The Glock 19 was then and still is my carry gun. If looks are a primary deciding factor for your firearm then good for you..god bless murica.......if you think the Glock is fugly how about the Chiappa Rhino? Well, I guess the Chiappa was kind of sexy in Margot Robbie's hands in Suicide Squad......but then that was mostly the booty shorts not the gun. The purpose of the Glock for me is a reliable defensive handgun and that they do beautifully......./Yawn okay back to bed.....

• Like 3
21 hours ago, CJDore said:

How have I acted lick a dick? I am just trying to understand why anyone buys Glocks and seem loyal to them......the prevalent answer is reliability which I think most guns are these days. Harp mentioned a continuous trigger pull but that is easily fixed with most firearms.

You seem to have enough experience and understanding of what you like, so I doubt anyone here could tell something about a Glock that you couldn’t figure out yourself by picking one up and putting some rounds down range with it.

Other than looks, is there a tangible reason you don’t like Glocks?

9 minutes ago, BrasilNuts said:

You seem to have enough experience and understanding of what you like, so I doubt anyone here could tell something about a Glock that you couldn’t figure out yourself by picking one up and putting some rounds down range with it.

Other than looks, is there a tangible reason you don’t like Glocks?

As previously stated, I think the Glock design is plain Jane and boring. I also think that the reliability "advantage" is grossly overstated as most firearms today are very reliable. And finally, Glocks are not even priced affordable anymore.....I mean why would I spend $600 on a Glock when I could spend less than $400 and get a SW M&P that beats Glock everyday now on form and function.

23 minutes ago, CJDore said:

As previously stated, I think the Glock design is plain Jane and boring. I also think that the reliability "advantage" is grossly overstated as most firearms today are very reliable. And finally, Glocks are not even priced affordable anymore.....I mean why would I spend $600 on a Glock when I could spend less than $400 and get a SW M&P that beats Glock everyday now on form and function.

I thought the same way until the first time I took my G30c to the range, it fit my hand perfectly (short fat finger) and ran everything I put threw it, the trigger was smoother than anything I had shot before, and I was hooked. I still own and like my S&W, Canik, Ruger and now Beretta, but for my personal and family's protection I trust fully in my Glock.  

Edited by john455
42 minutes ago, CJDore said:

What is “reliable”  “performs flawlessly” to you?

50 rounds standing at the range, clean and repeat?

Monthly IDPA or USPSA match 200 rounds, clean and repeat?

1000 round handgun class rolling around in the dirt, clean and repeat?

5000 rounds, hasn’t been cleaned since it came out of the box?

I have a muzzleloader that’s reliable, goes bang every time, runs flawlessly....

I’ve only fired it once.

edit: Have you ever fired a Glock?

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, CJDore said:

Yeah and so do all of my other firearms.......

Not after they have had 2000 rounds without cleaning, dropped in the mud, rinsed in the creek and baked in the sun....  

I'll repeat what others have said.  A glock isn't pretty but it is hard to argue with their reliability under the most extreme circumstances.  

Just now, Dane said:

Not after they have had 2000 rounds without cleaning, dropped in the mud, rinsed in the creek and baked in the sun....  

I'll repeat what others have said.  A glock isn't pretty but it is hard to argue with their reliability under the most extreme circumstances.  

Beretta M9/FS92 has been used by our military for the over 20 yrs and has been dropped in more sand and swamps than your glock has ever been exposed to and yet performs flawlessly.

6 minutes ago, CJDore said:

Beretta M9/FS92 has been used by our military for the over 20 yrs and has been dropped in more sand and swamps than your glock has ever been exposed to and yet performs flawlessly.

CZ75 was in military service for near 40 years then replaced by a variant with a NSN, the P01.

Do I win?

I have to ask this at the risk of offending many on this site. What is the reason that so many here seem to own and love the Glock brand? Is it because local LEOs are using these? To me they are the most God awful looking handgun and are roughly the same price as a Sig, Beretta, ETC.  If I am going to shell out $600, it better not look bland as tupperware. I would buy a Sig, Beretta, H&K any and all times rather than buying a single generic looking Glock.
Police use them, several military 's around the world use them. They have a fantastic reputation all over the world. There's no real reason to not like a Glock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CJDore said:

If the M&P is so great why has it not been adopted by any military units around the world? They are not expensive so you can't blame it on cost. Why does Glock still dominate the law enforcement market? Texas DPS had to transition back to Sig after having so many issues with the M&P's. Atlanta PD had to get rid of theirs as well. 

54 minutes ago, CJDore said:

That's a very presumptuous, uninformed, and ignorant comment to make (fake news). Have you actually talked with many military personnel that have routinely had their M9s in the sand and swamps that had great things to say about them? Just because someone is in the military and carries an M9 does not mean it gets used, and certainly does not mean it sees harsh conditions, aside from dust bunny accumulation in a holster. Hell, less than 10-15% of the military even work in harsh conditions, especially in the last 15 years. I think it is telling that the units that have discretionary funding and authority to test, choose, and purchase nonstandard sidearms started going away from the M9 as far back as 2005. While many of their support personnel still carry M9s, the guys getting down and dirty in the sand and swamps have been carrying Glocks for years. Next time you run into SEAL ask them why they won't touch a Beretta and instead use MK25s (Sig226) and Glock 19s.

Your trolling skills suck, at least put some effort in.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Danger Rane said:

That's a very presumptuous, uninformed, and ignorant comment to make (fake news). Have you actually talked with many military personnel that have routinely had their M9s in the sand and swamps that had great things to say about them? Just because someone is in the military and carries an M9 does not mean it gets used, and certainly does not mean it sees harsh conditions, aside from dust bunny accumulation in a holster. Hell, less than 10-15% of the military even work in harsh conditions, especially in the last 15 years. I think it is telling that the units that have discretionary funding and authority to test, choose, and purchase nonstandard sidearms started going away from the M9 as far back as 2005. While many of their support personnel still carry M9s, the guys getting down and dirty in the sand and swamps have been carrying Glocks for years. Next time you run into SEAL ask them why they won't touch a Beretta and instead use MK25s (Sig226) and Glock 19s.

Your trolling skills suck, at least put some effort in.

And your prediction skills blows also. My son is a Marine and it would probably surprise you that I know many Navy Seals.

Just now, CJDore said:

And your prediction skills blows also. My son is a Marine and it would probably surprise you that I know many Navy Seals.

Awesome! I sincerely appreciate your son's service. I will note that unless he is in MARSOC he probably doesn't have a choice in his handgun selection like I mentioned above, and one of the excellent traits about Marines is they make do and accomplish the mission, even under less than favorable conditions and often with antiquated equipment compared to the rest of the services. It does not surprise me that you know many SEALs, but it does surprise me that you have the view of the M9 that you have if you talk firearms with them very often. I encourage you to ask them about NSW's opinion on the M9 and then please share with the group. 

1 minute ago, Danger Rane said:

Awesome! I sincerely appreciate your son's service. I will note that unless he is in MARSOC he probably doesn't have a choice in his handgun selection like I mentioned above, and one of the excellent traits about Marines is they make do and accomplish the mission, even under less than favorable conditions and often with antiquated equipment compared to the rest of the services. It does not surprise me that you know many SEALs, but it does surprise me that you have the view of the M9 that you have if you talk firearms with them very often. I encourage you to ask them about NSW's opinion on the M9 and then please share with the group. 

I have had many Seals at my home and when we discuss firearms they all have stated that they loved the Sig 226S and were not happy of the decision to go to Glock. They did say that A seal has many other options than the "official firearm" also.

12 minutes ago, CJDore said:

I have had many Seals at my home and when we discuss firearms they all have stated that they loved the Sig 226S and were not happy of the decision to go to Glock. They did say that A seal has many other options than the "official firearm" also.

And their opinion on the M9 was?

• Moderators

Ok. Then carry an M9 if you want. I don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 minutes ago, CJDore said:

After seeing my 92FS they smiled and said they loved the M9.......accurate and dependable!!!

I think you made my point. Who's going to look at their friend's gun that he is clearly proud of and talk crap about it? The conversation would likely have gone differently had your Beretta not been the opener.

Back in 1987/1988 while the Beretta was in acceptance testing my with the military, several NSW operators were injured due to slides breaking and the back of the slide coming off the gun striking them in the face. 

As a result NSW as a whole went away from the Berreta and went with the Sig.

Non-SOF Navy and the rest of the services went with the Beretta, but only after an engineering change to prevent further injuries. If you remove the left side grip panel of your Beretta you will see a penny sized circle that sits right below the slide. A portion of this circle rides in a slot in the slide and will prevent the rear of the slide from coming of the frame if/when there is a slide breakage, which usually only happened at a very high round count. A round count beyond what most service members and civilian users will reach. If you note, the Brigadier model is substantially reinforced in the troublesome slide area.

To be clear, I think the Beretta is a very accurate gun in single action, and I have shot more rounds than I can count through several of them. I have had some malfunctions with them, but as I said it an earlier post, they were environmental related. If they had been even reasonably clean, which was impossible at the time, I have no doubt that they would have performed flawlessly. The Berettas are not my cup of tea, but I would never put down someone that had one, as it will most likely serve them well.

Not that my opinion should matter to anyone at all, just as yours does not matter to me, but I am happy that you like your Beretta. With as many options as we have, no one should have a gun they don't like. My only reason for engaging with you at all in this thread was your antagonistic approach and responses. While I don't care about your opinion I do take issue with your attitude which is why I responded in kind.

• Like 3