Best 9mm pistol, full size and compact

DWARREN123

• Administrator

The utility and ubiquity of the Glock 19 and Glock 17 platform are undeniable.  Arguing against them is like arguing that the AK-47 isn't a benchmark for the same qualities in the carbine platform.

But, I'm telling you, the M&P 9mm platform is better in just about every way.  All it lacks is the widespread presence that the Glock enjoys due to a two-decade head start.  Had the M&P been introduced at the same time as the Glock 17, we might be having a completely different conversation right now.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TGO David said:

The utility and ubiquity of the Glock 19 and Glock 17 platform are undeniable.  Arguing against them is like arguing that the AK-47 isn't a benchmark for the same qualities in the carbine platform.

But, I'm telling you, the M&P 9mm platform is better in just about every way.  All it lacks is the widespread presence that the Glock enjoys due to a two-decade head start.  Had the M&P been introduced at the same time as the Glock 17, we might be having a completely different conversation right now.

I'll tell ya I search my soul once a week over Glock vs M&P. I got a RMR on my Glock 19 and I got a #### ton (yes a technical term) of mags for my G34 and G19. I've more holsters than 1 man should own for glocks and am heavily invested in Glock.  But I shoot my M&P Pro for IDPA and shoot my M&P 9 full size better than my glocks. I just can't seem to make the switch to my Apex'd out M&P. 

Maybe if I box everything up and bury it deep deep in the safe under all that AK stuff I have from when I had an AK.

For a full size: the Browning Hi-Power. Nothing else even comes close. :bow:

I've never had much experience with compact 9s. Back in the early 1990s I carried a S&W 3914 for a while. Its a nice, small,  single stack  pistol. Great shooter. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it. 

• Like 1

The best one is the one that the shooter performs best with, and is most comfortable using.

Whether for sport, protection, or whatever, a handgun should act and feel like an extension of your body. If you are not comfortable with it, it's not the best one for you.

Now if you're equally comfortable with multiple pistols and have a specific use in mind, there is room to debate the technical features or other merits of a particular platform, but it's a bit like asking "Ford or Chevy". That being said, the poster hasn't shared their reason for asking.

When I got my permit and decided to carry, I went to my LGS and tried everything in the rental case (they had an indoor range at this store). I'm a big fan of German engineering and Glock carries a well earned reputation. However I shot my best group with the M&P, and it felt good in my hands. I use an M&P 9C for my EDC (v 1.0 mind you... don't have the cake for a 2.0 right now).

• Like 3

Since the OP’s question is wide open and does not exactly specify current production, I would have to say 3rd generation Smith & Wesson’s.  Before they got into the plastic game S&W made the finest American 9’s in the business.  They are still plentiful and quite affordable.

Edited by Garufa

I have full size 9mm in Glock, Springfield and S&W.  If I could only have one of them I would choose my high mileage S&W 5906.  I also have a supply of spare internals for the 5906 although I have never needed any replacements.  Yeah, I got it, "it's a tank" as far as weight comparison, but I can totally depend on it.

46 minutes ago, tacops said:

I have full size 9mm in Glock, Springfield and S&W.  If I could only have one of them I would choose my high mileage S&W 5906.  I also have a supply of spare internals for the 5906 although I have never needed any replacements.  Yeah, I got it, "it's a tank" as far as weight comparison, but I can totally depend on it.

The 5904 is light and nimble with its alloy frame.

I suppose the only factual answer would be... the best one is the one you have on you at the time... The rest is semantics and personal preference.

For me, Its a Gen 3 17 & 19, with a special nod to the 5906, CZ75b, XDM 5.25, XDS, and P229 

My gen 3 17 has been an absolute workhorse, and has never failed me. Its shot tens of thousands of rounds, run and run and run, its been through classes, its been drug through sand and mud, and still to this day the one i am the fastest and most accurate with...

Edited by 1fast4by

Most replies have been enlightening here at TGO. On some forums folks have got all wound up over this question.

I am not asking for info to buy, I just would like to know what other folks think and why.

I have a couple in each group. Full size is CZ P-09 or Witness P and in compact the CZ P-07 or CZ 75B compact.

I’ve had several M&P’s since they first came out. I have four right now. I haven’t owned a 9mm in many years; all my M&P’s have been in 40. When I decided I wanted a target Tupperware gun I went with the 9mm M&P CORE Performance Center.

Up to this point I have never had a real problem with their triggers. Mine were all okay for a duty/carry type weapon. Mine were also black box LEO SKU’s. There were rumors these had better triggers. I didn’t believe it; I do now.

My 9mm had the worst trigger I have ever felt on an M&P. I just figured it was a bad one that got past quality and Smith & Wesson would take care of me as they always have with customers that have issues. I was wrong. Even with 2 trips back to S&W and the VP of the firearms division getting involved; nothing was done.

I had to put an Apex trigger in it just to have something that was useable. What’s really frustrating is that had I waited a few more months I would have had the new gen.

Having said that I’ll still probably buy more S&W’s, but it’s disappointing they don’t have the customer support that they once were famous for. (At least in my case)

I should query the OP whether he wants to know what I think is the best or what I think is the best that I can afford :)

I recently had the opportunity to shoot a Nighthawk 1911 in 9mm that made my pants tight in weird ways and gave me the warm fuzzies like a teenager copping his first feel. But alas, I have 4 kids so that gun won't be in my budget this side of who knows how many years of college.

As for what I think is best that I can also afford; a G17 Gen 4 for full size, a G19 Gen 3or4 midsize, and a Kahr for compact/single stack.

As to the why....I'm a fan of Glock for their affordability, shoot-ability, reliability, ease of maintenance, ease of upgrades, etc, etc, etc. I'm also a fan of having a work gun that I don't give any thought to it getting banged around. While I do have a few safe queens that I'm proud of, none of my Glocks are in that category, and I don't think I've ever spent more than $500 on any of my Glocks. I mentioned the Kahr as my preference for compact 9mm. While I do like the single stack Glocks I like the Kahr in that size a bit better, and I like the Kahr trigger a lot better. I have the MK9 which is a great shooter for that size, but the all steel construction makes it pretty heavy/awkward to pocket carry at times.

Nike or New Balance, Ford or Chevy, this type of question again......hmmmm

There is no such animal. I see this question asked so much and I think it is too vague.

Plastic, Chunk of metal, caliber (whole new thread even though the op stated 9 mm) S/A, D/A, size, etc. What do you shoot the best? I truly think you shoot the best with the pistol that  you are most comfortable with, most confident with. It is a question that will be repeated. How bout a TGO poll!

Edited by sybo
  • Like 1
On 10/27/2017 at 7:01 PM, Garufa said:

Since the OP’s question is wide open and does not exactly specify current production, I would have to say 3rd generation Smith & Wesson’s.  Before they got into the plastic game S&W made the finest American 9’s in the business.  They are still plentiful and quite affordable.

Cdisales out of KY (found on GunBroker) appears to have bought all of S&W used steel/alloy 9s for resale

For right now I say the Glock 17 and Glock 19. They have the fewest parts and extremely reliable. They will always be my favorite and most reliable pistols. Now I got the new Beretta APX a few months ago. It has proven to be extremely reliable and will eat any ammo I give it. And rumors says it will have a compact soon.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, DWARREN123 said:

Most replies have been enlightening here at TGO. On some forums folks have got all wound up over this question.

I am not asking for info to buy, I just would like to know what other folks think and why.

I have a couple in each group. Full size is CZ P-09 or Witness P and in compact the CZ P-07 or CZ 75B compact.

I pick Glock for it's simplicity and the fact that I can detail strip it with a simple nail or punch or anything like a pencil. Parts can be found several places and a gunsmith is not needed. I can do my own repairs to it if needed in the field with no special tools.  I like other pistols like the CZ and such but they have a gazillion parts and springs and need special tools to repair .