Best 9mm pistol, full size and compact

DWARREN123

Well there are several solid performing pistols in both categories. It does boil down to personal preference. 

I believe that Glocks are the most reliable handguns in the market. However, I can't hit with one worth a toot. So they are not for me. 

CZ 75 both full and compact are fantastic performers. Reliable, smooth shooting handguns. 

For me, the Beretta M9/92SF platform is the cat's meow. Ultra dependable, I can hit what I am at, follow up/rapid shots are smooth and accurate. I've never fired a Beretta compact as to me, they are not really "compact".

My compact is an M&P sheild 9 and so far, it is reliable with a decent trigger. 

Note: The best shooting striker fired handgun I've ever fired is the full size Canik TP9 SA. Smooth trigger and I hit what I am for. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I don't know about the best small 9mm. Smith and Wesson 940?

S&W is making the 986 in 9mm, but its an L-frame. Too big for a 2.5” IMO.

Ruger is making the LCR and SP101 in 9mm. Either of those would be small.

• Like 1

As far as platform with versatility, Glock, M&P, and Springfield.  Any size for any occasion.  There are a lot of good guns out there; something for everyone.  But my favorite is the M&P because the basic concept is similar from the Shield to the 5" models and in all the calibers with limited exception.

For a really small pistol, and if you allow the 9mm to be a bit... uhm... short, the P238 is a great gun. In fact, it has grown on me so much, that will likely change from dual-stack 9mm to single-stack (mostly for carry comfort reason). I haven't fully compared yet, but the Springfield Range Officer Compact (i9mm) is currently on the top of my wish list. There is indeed something awesome about the 1911 platform, and since you can get it in 9mm, I think it should definitely be on the list.

13 minutes ago, Obiwan said:

For a really small pistol, and if you allow the 9mm to be a bit... uhm... short, the P238 is a great gun. In fact, it has grown on me so much, that will likely change from dual-stack 9mm to single-stack (mostly for carry comfort reason). I haven't fully compared yet, but the Springfield Range Officer Compact (i9mm) is currently on the top of my wish list. There is indeed something awesome about the 1911 platform, and since you can get it in 9mm, I think it should definitely be on the list.

I have several of the P938 and P238s. My wife and daughter carry the 238 and I carry it when I have to go to our office (Strict dress code makes a full size a no go). I carry a 938 always. Usually along with my Sig 1911 full size. I have never had any issue with the 238 or 938s. My son also carries a 938. The other is a ruger fan and carries a LC9S. I like it but am a 1911 fan so I went with the 938.

92 and p224 

It' a shame that beretta can't make a compact or subcompact to the same quality as their fullsize weapons. I personally believe the 92 is superior to the p226, but it has no equal stepdown. Every sig in the classic line is built as well as any other, so my nod to p224 or p229. At this point, you may as well run a p226 for full size for mag compatibility. 

I wouldn't turn down a 226 legion Sao if it was free.

2 hours ago, Cookies said:

92 and p224 

It' a shame that beretta can't make a compact or subcompact to the same quality as their fullsize weapons. I personally believe the 92 is superior to the p226, but it has no equal stepdown. Every sig in the classic line is built as well as any other, so my nod to p224 or p229. At this point, you may as well run a p226 for full size for mag compatibility. 

I wouldn't turn down a 226 legion Sao if it was free.

Have you tried a PX4 Storm Sub Compact?  

The best feeling in my hand is a Browning HP. The best shooting was the CZ-75. The best all around is my FNH FNS and my wife's Glock 17.

Never owned a compact 9. For some reason I've always gravited to small .45 acps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Have you tried a PX4 Storm Sub Compact?  

Yes. It's entirely too rattly and plastic for me. It's a fantastic size, but doesn't carry well for me. Was also a poor shooter. I thought I had a dud, but I borrowed a different one to try and was equally disappointed. 

I searched forever for a da/sa 40 that would fit in my back pocket. The cz rami was a strong contender, but lack of a local dealer was a bummer. I am picky about having a local guy that's able to fix what I can't. Finally decided to get a p224, but took 19 months to find the one I wanted. 

2 hours ago, Cookies said:

Yes. It's entirely too rattly and plastic for me. It's a fantastic size, but doesn't carry well for me. Was also a poor shooter. I thought I had a dud, but I borrowed a different one to try and was equally disappointed. 

I searched forever for a da/sa 40 that would fit in my back pocket. The cz rami was a strong contender, but lack of a local dealer was a bummer. I am picky about having a local guy that's able to fix what I can't. Finally decided to get a p224, but took 19 months to find the one I wanted. 

I have one, I had the same results shooting until I changed the back strap, its just as wide as my 92f, so she's a fat little pig to carry..

54 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I have one, I had the same results shooting until I changed the back strap, its just as wide as my 92f, so she's a fat little pig to carry..

The p224 is a wide one as well. All double stacks are with exception of the Taurus 111g2. It's a decent pistol in its own, but not quite on the same level. 

Now the p239 is an interesting little weapon, but it's not much thinner than the 224 or g27, and carries a bigger footprint. You don't gain much but sacrifice a bit of capacity. 

For full size I'll defer, as always, to a Sig P226.  I'd love to nominate the P228 as a "compact" but in reality I can only carry mine with a loose sweatshirt or a jacket.  My current favorite carry 9 is a Kahr CW9, buy I'm still not sold 100%.  I like being able to fully grip the pistol, and a single stack mag for a thin profile is a must.  I'm considering grabbing a SIG P239 SAS Gen 2, buy I'm a little concerned with the weight  

Edited by Ranger431
  • Like 1

There's a lot of good options out there nowadays.  One combo that hasn't been brought up yet is the P30sk and P30L pair. Being able to get them in either da/sa or LEM combined with HK's reliability makes them an attractive option. 

My favorite range 9mm is the CZ-75 but it's too heavy for carry. I have two Sigs, the P-320 and P-238. The P-320 is waiting to be recalled so SIG is on my bad side right now. The Ruger LC9s has a sweet trigger but the mag release has given me trouble. I have one 9mm that doesn't stand out at all. It has a weird trigger, the sights are odd and it has a grip like a 2 x 4. It's the one I go to. I call it the Barvarian Brick others call it a Glock 19.

• Haha 1

Navy Seals in recent years switched from the Sig P226 to the Glock 19. Most likely for weight since it’s a backup gun, but I’d say the Sig P226/P229 and the Glock 17/19 are the best “Go to war” pistols on the market. If you ever want to watch in depth reviews of a variety of guns, accessories and gear look up the Nutnfancy project on YouTube. Idk if he’s ever been mentioned on this site but he’s by far the best reviewer online. If you haven’t seen any of his reviews you should definitely check it out. Most of his videos have a couple 100k views some have millions.

• Like 1

Another vote for the VP9 from me.  I've just never been able to love the Glocks or M&P line as much as I do the VP9.

I've also never been a fan of compacts, but I know that's just a personal quirk.  I carry my VP9 and it's no big deal to me since I'm a bigger guy.

Sig P226, is a great gun it’s the gun I hand new shooters. The weight of the pistol really absorbs the 9mm recoil and my mk25(a P226) is lights out accurate factory. I don’t know if it’s the chrome lined bore or what. Also I’d highly recommend the Glock 19 for a compact although for a guy my frame size 6’0 170lbs the 19 carries and prints like a full size on me. I hate the fat grip on the double stack subcompact glocks. The Springfield XDS feels good in hand but weighs too much. I have no experience with it but the Glock 43 seems super popular at every gun store these days I have the 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1