.357 sig

john455

Ok, honest question here, I am intrigued by the .357 sig but I have never shot one. I use to own a .357 mag but ended up selling it because the arthritis  in my hands made it to painful to shoot anymore. Now I mostly shoot a .45, G30 and M&P. 

I guess my question is, would the .357 sig be viable for me, when the .357 mag was not? 

I have two Sig P320's in full and carry size. It's nothing more than a very hot 9mm, (approximately 200 fps faster). I don't find it particularly snappy nor having anywhere near the same recoil of a 230gr .45 in my old Ed Brown Kobra Karry which had a lot more weight to absorb the recoil. You should also consider the fact that there's a direct transfer of recoil into your hand from a revolver versus a semi-auto. 

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd let you shoot mine. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

The best way, and the cheapest, is to get a box of 9mm ranger T +p+ 124 grain ammo. Standard 357 Sig is 124-125 grains at 1300 fps. The Ranger T load is published at 1300 fps. That will give you a really really close approximate of it. 

John, if for recreational or novelty purposes, go back 70ish years and look at 7.62x25 tok.

I think this is cool little round, new mfg available on line, PPU actually makes a HP.

The guns that shoot it however, are not necessarily shining examples of higher end, precision made, comfortable shooting delivery systems.

Of the handguns, the CZ (vz.) 52 uses a neat roller-delayed system and sports a Buck Rogers look. I've got one - from the internet, seems to be the best made/assembled of bunch but I havent handled a TT or it's clones. Recoil is minimum, ergos were a secondary or tertiary consideration. Parts are available from Harrington.

I recently obtained a PPS-43c; cold war stamped steel goodness.

Choices are limited if you end up going down this rabbit hole...come on down and join me.

357 sig is my self defense round of choice. In a semi auto the recoil is very manageable. To me, the recoil impulse of the 40 is much worse. I'm also not a big fan of running super hot ammo through a weapon not designed for it. It's been a while since I read up on it but I seem to remember +p+ is not a recognized standard. 

The bottleneck cartridge also aids in feeding the beast without issues. I once ran a high round count 3 day class with one. I used range ammo but my hands took a beating a bit so it was harder on me than the 9mm I usually train with. I just wanted to see the limit of what I could endure and compare my split times with times from previous classes I shot with a 9. I was about 1/10 slower on average. 

In that class we had an opportunity to test various rounds on a car. The sig penetrated much better than the 9, 40, 45, and interestingly enough a 223 fired from a SBR. Depending on your point of view that can be a good or bad thing...

Mark

4 hours ago, Mark A said:

357 sig is my self defense round of choice. In a semi auto the recoil is very manageable. To me, the recoil impulse of the 40 is much worse. I'm also not a big fan of running super hot ammo through a weapon not designed for it. It's been a while since I read up on it but I seem to remember +p+ is not a recognized standard. 

The bottleneck cartridge also aids in feeding the beast without issues. I once ran a high round count 3 day class with one. I used range ammo but my hands took a beating a bit so it was harder on me than the 9mm I usually train with. I just wanted to see the limit of what I could endure and compare my split times with times from previous classes I shot with a 9. I was about 1/10 slower on average. 

In that class we had an opportunity to test various rounds on a car. The sig penetrated much better than the 9, 40, 45, and interestingly enough a 223 fired from a SBR. Depending on your point of view that can be a good or bad thing...

Mark

That's why a lot of people like it and why a lot of the newer ammo for 9mm and 40 are bonded bullets. One of these days I'm going to get a barrel for either my Glock 35 or M&P Pro if I ever find one.