Need an opinion

ThomasH

I am interested in getting my concealed carry but here is the rub, the only handgun I own is a RIA 1911A1 in .45 (full size, weighs about 40 ounces unloaded)....It is barebones (no nite sights or rail) which limits it to home defense, I am looking at a compact 9mm that can perform both CCW and HD.  Would I be best served by sticking with a .45ACP or go to 9mm? I have quite a bit of .45 ammo or should I sell it and switch to 9mm? Thanks.

• Admin Team

Generations of folks have carried bare bones 1911s without night sights or rails to good affect.  

I’ve yet to shoot a RIA pistol that wasn’t reliable.  They conceal well in a proper holster.  I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Generations of folks have carried bare bones 1911s without night sights or rails to good affect.  

I’ve yet to shoot a RIA pistol that wasn’t reliable.  They conceal well in a proper holster.  I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it. 

IWB or OWB? I'm 6'3 and 285 with a beer belly, I can't bring a firearm on work property.....I suppose it could be a truck gun, I wish I had never sold my Glock 21.

Because I have been told I am wrong regardless of my opinion or basis on it lately, I am going to stick with that. If you are sold on .45ACP. get a Glock 30. It will do everything and more that you want. If you are set on a 9x19mm, get a Glock 19.

If however you realize that the value of an HCP is irrelevant to the firearm you choose, just carry the 1911.

The permit is more valuable than the gun IMO.

I carry a G19. Unless I am feeling lazy, then I carry the Micro Eagle because it is super simple to drop in a pocket.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
56 minutes ago, ThomasH said:

IWB or OWB? I'm 6'3 and 285 with a beer belly, I can't bring a firearm on work property.....I suppose it could be a truck gun, I wish I had never sold my Glock 21.

I’m 6’0” and 150lbs. if I’ve had a good breakfast.  I generally run OWB in a RCS Phantom or similar.  I’ve got some IWB holsters that work great, but as a general rule if I need to tuck my shirt in, I pocket carry a j-frame.  

At 285lbs., you’re going to have to find what works for you - and that’s as a whole system - pistol, holster and belt.  There’s not a right answer, but every body type is different.  You’ve got to find what works for you. I’d probably start OWB in a good holster around 4-5 o’clock.  Maybe try IWB in the same position from there.  

I carry a full size Beretta 92 during my off time. I'm about 5'10" and about 210 and I have no problem with this one. Used to carry a full size 1911 too. Right now I'd concentrate on getting the HCP, then find your groove on which gun has the mojo for you. You shouldn't have a problem packing what you have now, then you can go try a bunch of them out and see what you like. Lots of good choices out there. Glock, Springfield, Beretta, Smith, Sig on an on. 

I am 190lb at 6'. This is a trim build, think working man, not 'built.' In slim cut jeans I can drop my Micro Eagle in a pocket holster and it looks like a wallet. With a loose shirt I can carry my G19 in a IWB holster with little notice. I can not wear a fitted shirt (and damn do I have the chest and arms for it now,) the narrow waist makes an obvious print.

Overall, you will have to pick what works for you, but first and foremost, the piece of plastic (HCP) is the first step.

Edited by Murgatroy

Nothing wrong in my mind about carrying that 1911, bare bones or not. But since you are asking about a compact 9mm I'm guessing you are not wanting to carry the size/weight of the 1911, is that correct? So the next hurdle would be whatever your budget is. If at all possible I would keep the .45 and the ammo reserve you have for it, and buy yourself a compact 9 and start building your reserve for that. Either way, welcome to TGO!

Caliber wise, it just doesn’t get much better than a .45ACP. (Okay maybe .357Mag, but that doesn’t pertain here :)).

I have 1911’s and love them for range toys. I can carry them, but I don’t. They are big and heavy. If I’m going to carry something that big it will have 15 rounds of .40S&W.

I would suggest you check out the S&W Shield. It will fill both your applications. (And with rebates they have been pretty cheap lately)

I like them in .40S&W, but you can get it in 9MM. Then your Wife/Girlfriend can shoot it also. :D

EDIT: Guns are like anything else; application driven. No gun will cover all applications. So if you can afford it; keep the 1911 and add another carry gun. Or three...or four...or five.

Edited by DaveTN
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Caliber wise, it just doesn’t get much better than a .45ACP. (Okay maybe .357Mag, but that doesn’t pertain here :)).

I have 1911’s and love them for range toys. I can carry them, but I don’t. They are big and heavy. If I’m going to carry something that big it will have 15 rounds of .40S&W.

I would suggest you check out the S&W Shield. It will fill both your applications. (And with rebates they have been pretty cheap lately)

I like them in .40S&W, but you can get it in 9MM. Then your Wife/Girlfriend can shoot it also. :D

EDIT: Guns are like anything else; application driven. No gun will cover all applications. So if you can afford it; keep the 1911 and add another carry gun. Or three...or four...or five.

Yeah that's my rub about the RIA 7+1 where even a FN 509C, CZ P series and the 2.0 S&W Compact have 12 plus including Glock.