Smith & Wesson Performance Center Revolvers

A516

Is what you gain in features/action smoothness on a particular model S&W revolver worth it to pay the extra money to get a Performance Center revolver over a similar model that has not gone to the Performance Center?  Or are you just as well off to buy the standard model and take it to a gunsmith that can give you a good action tune-up?  I am considering a 686.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 686PC. It is very smooth and very nice. But, I was able to trade into it so I was not out for the full fare. I also have an early 686 (686-1) and it is very sweet. Personally, while I do really like the PC, I'm not sure it feels any better than my old one. Plus, I know a good gunsmith who loves revolvers. He can REALLY slick up a Smith. If I ever do get around to buying another wheel, I'll get the standard model and take it to him. Of course, with what people are asking for their old Smiths, you could almost get a PC. All that said, I do like the way the PC guns look though. 

Edited by res308

It use to mean something; I don’t think it does anymore. I recently bought an M&P that was sold as a “Performance Center” model. It didn’t say Performance Center on it, didn’t come in a performance center box, and if it went through the Performance Center I’m guessing it was just on a cart passing through. I’m a Smith & Wesson fan, but it is a terrible gun. (At least this one copy)

I would invest that money in a mint condition Pre-Lock 686. There are plenty of Gunsmiths that can make any S&W K or L frame smooth as glass (I do my own). But you may find it doesn’t need it.  Unless you are going to shoot in competition I think you would be happy with the older Pre-Locks.

A new Performance Center with a lock isn’t going to hold value the way the pre-locks are.( If that’s a concern to you.)

Thanks for the comments.  Just what I needed to wake up my old mind.  I have a pre-lock 4-inch 686 new in the box.  I am interested in having a 686 with a 2.5-inch barrel.    I may have another pre-lock 686 4-inch that is like new that has had an action tune-up rebarredled.  So many decisions.  Again, thanks for your input.

Edited by A516

The S&W Performance Center builds guns with special features such as custom barrels, optics rails, special markings and such. If that's what you want, fine. As far as actual performance goes, I've never really found them to be any better than a standard model of the same gun. They're more about looks than performance. 

On 10/29/2017 at 7:07 AM, DaveTN said:

It use to mean something; I don’t think it does anymore. I recently bought an M&P that was sold as a “Performance Center” model. It didn’t say Performance Center on it, didn’t come in a performance center box, and if it went through the Performance Center I’m guessing it was just on a cart passing through. I’m a Smith & Wesson fan, but it is a terrible gun. (At least this one copy)

I would invest that money in a mint condition Pre-Lock 686. There are plenty of Gunsmiths that can make any S&W K or L frame smooth as glass (I do my own). But you may find it doesn’t need it.  Unless you are going to shoot in competition I think you would be happy with the older Pre-Locks.

A new Performance Center with a lock isn’t going to hold value the way the pre-locks are.( If that’s a concern to you.)

Absolutely agree