MuzzleLoader Season Opens Saturday

I have been going on the mornings and evenings when I can. We have not yet tried tanning a hide. We always swapped them for a pair of gloves at the butcher shop where I get the pig done. We are going to try one this year though. I have a rack built for just that reason. Might do the one from this morning if I get enough time. 

5 hours ago, Omega said:

When I was stationed at Ft Bragg, the post had a shed they let us use to field dress/process our deer.  They would collect hides for the Scouts who would tan the hides and use them for their projects.  I've never tried it though I have read up on it, sounds easy enough, procedure wise.

Best those were some happy scouts. Leather can be expensive.

I have been told that unless you have a shed or something away from the house you will end up divorced. lol. Not a pleasant thing to do in in your tub...

I have read up too. Basically if you brain tan, you need very little besides the hide, brain and a tub. A fleshing knife can help.

I got out very early this morning because I just had a good feeling about the cold air and rain being gone today. I pulled in the driveway planning on hunting the East stand. As I got out for whatever reason I walked straight to the West stand. Heard one blow right bed daybreak on the neighbors property. Had the sneezing 6 point buck come in behind me around 7. Had two does pass behind me around 8. Decided to move to the other stand around noon and checked my camera before I climbed up. THIS morning at 8:05 the big 8 pointer came right by my stand. Same one that was in the yard Monday when I pulled in eating acorns. At 8:30 he passed back by it the other way. I was like “Are you kidding me!?” Haha Sat the the rest of the day and didn’t see a thing. Going back to try and catch him tomorrow. First daylight pictures I have of him and I wasn’t in that stand. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
16 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I got out very early this morning because I just had a good feeling about the cold air and rain being gone today. I pulled in the driveway planning on hunting the East stand. As I got out for whatever reason I walked straight to the West stand. Heard one blow right bed daybreak on the neighbors property. Had the sneezing 6 point buck come in behind me around 7. Had two does pass behind me around 8. Decided to move to the other stand around noon and checked my camera before I climbed up. THIS morning at 8:05 the big 8 pointer came right by my stand. Same one that was in the yard Monday when I pulled in eating acorns. At 8:30 he passed back by it the other way. I was like “Are you kidding me!?” Haha Sat the the rest of the day and didn’t see a thing. Going back to try and catch him tomorrow. First daylight pictures I have of him and I wasn’t in that stand. 

I guess thats why they call it hunting and not tagging...............Sorry you missed the big guy but there is always tomorrow!!!  Good luck!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I guess thats why they call it hunting and not tagging...............Sorry you missed the big guy but there is always tomorrow!!!  Good luck!

Ain’t that the truth! Still enjoyed being in the woods!! Thanks bersaguy 

1 minute ago, 10-Ring said:

Having the worst ml session in years. Hunted all day the past few days.  Had one wind me yesterday morning and three wind me this morning.  Might be time go wash my clothes lol.

Get higher in the tree. Lol. 

It has seemed tougher this year. Lots of wind and not from the usual directions. I have been thinking of moving a stand due to it. 

55 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Having the worst ml session in years. Hunted all day the past few days.  Had one wind me yesterday morning and three wind me this morning.  Might be time go wash my clothes lol.

I’m not sure if I got winded this morning or they saw my silhouette moving when I was getting situated. But they were behind me on a hill so either is possible. They were at my backside and wind was in my face for most of the morning, so not much I could have done differently. I was out very early but the moon was really bright, so just past of it. Didn’t see a thing all morning and left at 11:30 to handle some errands and pick up my daughter. 

I’m  hunting WIlson County and see people on Facebook hunting pages saying they have Buck’s chasing like crazy. Mine are still just in slow mode. Hope it picks up over the next few days. But I’m still having a blast being out there! Passing on several smaller bucks this year has become easier. Just waiting on timing to be right for one of the bigger bucks. If I don’t get one this year it’ll be better next year if they survive the neighbors. I’ll put a doe in the freezer and wait all year with high hopes again. Good luck in the morning y’all. 

3 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I’m not sure if I got winded this morning or they saw my silhouette moving when I was getting situated. But they were behind me on a hill so either is possible. They were at my backside and wind was in my face for most of the morning, so not much I could have done differently. I was out very early but the moon was really bright, so just past of it. Didn’t see a thing all morning and left at 11:30 to handle some errands and pick up my daughter. 

I’m  hunting WIlson County and see people on Facebook hunting pages saying they have Buck’s chasing like crazy. Mine are still just in slow mode. Hope it picks up over the next few days. But I’m still having a blast being out there! Passing on several smaller bucks this year has become easier. Just waiting on timing to be right for one of the bigger bucks. If I don’t get one this year it’ll be better next year if they survive the neighbors. I’ll put a doe in the freezer and wait all year with high hopes again. Good luck in the morning y’all. 

Meh...It's just the luck of the draw I think. My father saw 13 deer this morning, and killed a decent 7 pointer; the smallest of 3 bucks he saw. I hunt a better place, but that's the way the ball bounces. Stay with it. You'll get a trophy one day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Meh...It's just the luck of the draw I think. My father saw 13 deer this morning, and killed a decent 7 pointer; the smallest of 3 bucks he saw. I hunt a better place, but that's the way the ball bounces. Stay with it. You'll get a trophy one day.

Yessir! Oh every one is a trophy to me, I’m just working on discipline and learning the hard way in the journey. As far as how the ball bounces, I 100% agree. Look how many people go out one time and kill a buck that would give me a heart attack haha! Heck I’ve definitely gotten able to see more deer and enjoy watching them eat, flirt during rut, etc. 15 years ago I’d shoot the first deer I saw and couldn’t have been happier. I didn’t know people sat out to watch, pass, and wait till later. It’s very different and enjoyable at the same time. 

• Like 1

Well my daughter and I bumped a deer walking in and got into the blind a little after 2.  It was quiet.  There was a large fox squirrel with a white face running around but he was the only thing moving until 4:30.

We were sitting side by side but facing opposite directions so we could cover more ground.  Right at 4:30 a deer just appears about 35 yards from the blind.  I whisper deer.  She slowly turns around and gets the scope on the deer.  I am using my binoculars and see it is the same little spike I filmed Saturday morning.  I tell her not to shoot because he is really young.  We are watching him for a minute and she whispers deer and its another buck.  This buck had come up from behind us and was about 20 yards out the left window.  I tell her not to move, he is going to feed to right in front of you.  He was focused on the small spike and paid the blind no attention.  This was an older deer with a deformed rack.  He had a nub on one side and a fork on the other.  I told her she could cull that one if she wanted it.  While waiting for a good shot she whispers deer again.  She spied a tail about 60 yards away kinda in front of us and off to the left.  Well the buck finally gave her a nice broadside shot and she squeezed the trigger.  After the smoke cleared I could only see the spike running away.  She said the other deer ran off to the right and it looked like it was running funny but disappeared.  The last time I took her hunting she missed a big buck and was worried she had missed again.  

I reloaded and we were waiting a minute and then I see another deer.  It was the one she spied earlier.  It was  doe and was feeding right to us.  Then another deer ran up from behind us to right in front of us.  it was the small spike that had just off.  The doe feeds over and it is really small and we decided to let her grow up some.  Well now it is getting dark and we still need to go look for the other deer but the spike and doe do not want to leave.  Young deer are really stupid.  We start making a little noise and they just look at us.  They are only about 20 yards aways.  I finally stand up and start zipping the all the windows up.  We both get out of the blind and the two deer finally decide to leave. 

We walk over to where we though the deer was to look for blood.  I forgot to bring a flashlight so we were both using our lights on our phones.  We can't find anything.  We are looking for little drops of blood and I come across a big spray of blood.  Caitlin got real excited knowing she did not miss.  We follow the trail for about 15 yards and there is a lot of blood being sprayed.  I am looking down and Caitlin says there he is.  You could just make out the white of his belly and tail  We get over to him and he doe not have the one antler.  it has broken off.  She starts to look for it while I get ready to gut the deer.  I then spotted the antler right next to a tree about 5' away.  i guess he hit his head as he fell and broke off the antler.  I think I will let the deer hang till this weekend before I process him.  Then it is venison chili time.

944305d5f760e8c8459934c9099bf0d3.jpg

• Like 10

I got a call yesterday that we will not begin work until tomorrow. Just what I wanted to hear. They were really moving this morning. This amorous fella was chasing a doe. I don't know what he weighs, but I about never got him in the truck!:eek:

G8rB5mU.jpg

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 7
45 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I got a call yesterday that we will not begin work until tomorrow. Just what I wanted to hear. They were really moving this morning. This amorous fella was chasing a doe. I don't know what he weighs, but I about never got him in the truck!:eek:

G8rB5mU.jpg

That is a big 8 pt.  Nice!!

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

G8rB5mU.jpg

Very nice! Love the shape of his rack!

18 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Yessir! Oh every one is a trophy to me, I’m just working on discipline and learning the hard way in the journey. As far as how the ball bounces, I 100% agree. Look how many people go out one time and kill a buck that would give me a heart attack haha! Heck I’ve definitely gotten able to see more deer and enjoy watching them eat, flirt during rut, etc. 15 years ago I’d shoot the first deer I saw and couldn’t have been happier. I didn’t know people sat out to watch, pass, and wait till later. It’s very different and enjoyable at the same time. 

The two buck limit, deer hunting t.v. shows, or something have seemed to finally change the mindset of a lot of hunters here. It seems most of us are now passing up the year old bucks we used to shoot. This is resulting, at least in my area, in some nice mature bucks walking around. I used to think "well, if I don't shoot it, he'll be popped as soon as he tops the next hill". So did most everybody else.

• Like 2

That's a good looking deer Greg, congratulations!

It was windy here this morning and I didn't wear enough clothes, went in about 8:30 without seeing anything.

Saw a nice doe on the way to my stand this afternoon while on the four wheeler.  Didn't spook it, she just eased I along, hopefully we'll reconnect before dark.

• Like 1