Guns with sentimental value.............

Bob Wright

I have a few guns that have special meaning to me, and as such doubt that I'll ever part with them.  This S&W Model 36 Chiefs Special being one exception:

100_8883_zpsciqgcpkh.jpg

Now there's a story (Oh, No! you may groan!) behind this gun.

I was at the range one morning and mentioned to a good friend of mine that I was looking for a Chiefs Special.  Now this friend was one of those who I knew only from the range, but a friend nonetheless.  He told me he had just traded one at a local gun shop.  I believe I left him standing there, so quickly did I depart.  I hied to that store and there was the gun sitting in the display case, and I filled out the paperwork and went over to an ATM to get the money.  And that afternoon I had my Model 36.

Some time after that my friend died.  He was the father-in-law of my gunsmith, and in time I learned his wife, the daughter of my friend, was trying to assemble her father's gun collection.  Well, Christmas was approaching so I told my 'smith about having the gun.  Well, he bought it from me to give to give  wife for Christmas.  He told me she teared up upon opening the package and finding that gun!

Bob Wright

Edited by Bob Wright
  • Like 3

I have inherited three guns that have special meaning to me.

The first was my Dad's Remington 11-48 12 gauge. He was a big quail hunter and that gun brings back memories of days afield, fine bird dogs and time spent with him. One day this will belong to my oldest son.

The second is a 6" S&W Model 29-8 that belonged to my friend Bill. He was a retired LEO and had a love for the .44 Magnum. He actually had another Model 29 before this one and shot it so much that when he sent it in to the factory for its 3rd overhaul that they just replaced it with this one. That big ol' cannon was his EDC as well. :eek: He left it to me when he passed away in 2002.

The third belonged to my best friend Bob. After he passed, his wife and I were going through the safes. She told me "Bob wanted you to have this one." and handed me his 1975 6" Colt Python. 

I'll never sell any of these. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 3

I have only one gun that is close to my heart and thanks to many folks here I was not forced to part with it but would have for sure to do what needed to be done. My model 85 Bersa I have. It came from my friend of 30+ years, BT. He passed away last February while fishing on Dale Hollow Lake. He came for coffee and a biscuit about every other morning here for the past 10+ years and he always  scratch and loved on Kasey when he was here and she looked forward to his coming by. She learned what days he would be coming by and she would lay in the carport waiting for him. For about a week after he died she bgan laying in the parking area where she could see the driveway better and I guess she did that for a month and finally realized he was not coming by any more. That 380 will be going to my son Ronnie when I am gone. 

• Like 2

I also inherented some guns, 1 was a single shot 12 gauge that my grandad owned, broke the firing pin and replaced it with a nail.  

The other 3 I inherited from my dad, 1 28 gauge shotgun, and 2 model 190 22 rifles. All are buried in the safe so deep they will never be found. 

• Like 3

Bear with me for this struck my sentimental bone.  I have my Dad's pride and joy that he left me which was his 1962 production Browning Sweet 16.  It was fired 10 rounds since new.  I have the original box of "Super X" as well.  Then there is the Remington 870 Wingmaster my Grandpa bought new.  I remember going with him to the Grand Opening of Wal-Mart #3 in Conway, AR to buy the Wingmaster.  I stood at the counter as a small boy and watched my Grandpa count out $67 dollars and change for the shotgun.  I remember thinking at the time that my Grandpa had to be RICH to have that much money.  I have many fond memories of rabbit hunting trips with that shotgun and my Grandpa.  There are others but those are my "special" ones.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

My granddad gave me his Savage 22 Bolt action rifle when I was about 3 years old. First gun I ever shot. No telling how many rounds I've shot with this gun. Still as accurate as it was almost 50 years ago. 

And now a 38 S&W revolver my father in law gave me about 5 years ago. He had a stroke earlier this year and is now in a nursing from the stroke and dementia. 

These priceless treasures will be passed on to my daughters one day. 

• Like 3

This is my Grandaddy's Kessler Westchester 12 gauge bolt action shot gun with a 2 rd detachable magazine. It is marked "Buffalo Bill Cody" edition. If I remember correctly I think Sears or Montgomery Wards made them. It is at least 55 years old. When I was 8 years old I remember my Granddaddy shot one shell at a flock of blackbirds. I saw 8 fall dead. I didn't realize how a shotgun worked at that time and I thought he and that gun were magical to get 8 birds with one shot. He died when I was 15 so I got his shotgun and kept it just the way he had it , even with the old electrical tape around the forearm.

kw1.jpg

kw2.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 3

NrbMqSi.jpg

eA76XI0.jpg

My father picked this Colt Woodsman up somewhere. It had a busted stock. He made these stocks out of a piece of scrap walnut he had lying around. I told him he did a great job on the stocks (Colts don't have grips), I guess he remembered, and later gave it to me as a birthday present. As you can see, he put a lot of work into them.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

A Model 36 is the only gun I have that I won’t sell. It was the first off duty gun I bought. I sold in to a friend many years ago when I needed cash, but my wife got it back from him for a birthday present one year. I kinda wish I had kept my first duty gun; a Model 19 I paid $175 for brand new. Or the three Pythons I had...or... :D

I don’t get too attached to guns. My collection has most applications covered, so anymore if I want to try something new it usually involves selling something.