Odometer, of sorts.....................

Bob Wright

Many years ago I had the care of two 106mm Recoiless Rifles entrusted to my care.  These guns had a record book and each round fired was recorded in those books.  So, I decided to do the same, keep a log book for my guns.  My first entry was made in 1958, and it now consists of over a one hundred thousand rounds fired, and maybe fifty handguns.  So when I give a round count for any gun, I know its accurate and know what I'm talking about.

This milestone for my Ruger Blackhawk is for my most-fired revolver:

100_7434_zps4b8472d4.jpg

I record the date, rounds fired, type of ammunition, bullet used, and total rounds to date.  Often photograph targets with loading data displayed:

100_0167_zpscb77f806.jpg

Bob Wright

Edited by Bob Wright
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Certainly very interesting. I myself have a decent accounting mindset and reconcile every single one of my financial accounts daily. Even I cannot see myself doing what you do!

But what is more impressive is the number of rounds through that .45 Colt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I don't keep good records like that.  With as many guns and rifles out there older than I am and still going strong, like my old 303 Brit and M1, round count would mean little to me, if a barrel gets worn, I just cast a bigger bullet, or if real bad, just get another barrel.

I keep a count of rounds, type/manufacture and what gun, for everything but .22s and shotguns. I don't keep track of when. As part of what I record is any failures and what type of failure, to see if there is a repeatable problem with a certain ammo. I do keep notes on .22 failures with gun, ammo, type of failure.

I just keep it all in a spreadsheet with a page for each gun, all .22 data is one sheet.

My record keeping has never been very good. I do keep a notebook with my reloading manuals that has a few recipes scribbled down but its no spreadsheet by any means.    BW tell us some good choices for powder in 45 Colt? So far I have tried 2 and have another that I intend to try. AA#5, 2400 and an old jug of unique. My Redhawk has a 4.2 barrel and the cylinder has been honed to .4525. Tried two different projectiles so far. The Hornaday 240 XTP Magnum and some  HY-TEC coated RNFP 250's I picked up from Acme. The Ruger is New to me just picked it up a couple months ago.      

Edited by Sunfish
correction

For starters, a mild target load:

100_0012_zps0a159858.jpg

Another factory duplication load:

100_0006.jpg

An attention getter:

img055%20-%20Copy_zps7wjrukua.jpg

I no longer load the .45 to heavy loads, having a .44 Magnum for that.  But of powders, I've found Hodgdon's HP-38 for moderate loads, HS-6 for warmish loads, and H4227 for the heavier loads.  All of these have given me good performance in both velocity and accuracy.

Bob Wright

Oh yesssssssss! I have a couple of “ notebooks “ full of data, pics, reload ladders, targets, brass, blown and flattened primers etc. The research and experimentations for each of my reload and accuracy projects are one of the many facets of the sport that I love!