Sad day today

res308

I think Rosco might have been the best friend I've ever had, and he was just a little firecracker of black and brindle colored happiness. No one knew where he came from. No one knew how old he was. No one knew what breed he was. And it never mattered.

He was probably at least 2 or 3 years old when he came to us around 10 or 11 years ago.

He passed away this morning.

I guess the neighbors may have wondered today why a 49 year old man was out in the back yard sobbing. But I ain't ashamed of it. Because I dearly loved that little feller, and I ain't ashamed of that either.

My boys came home and helped me give him the proper and respectful burial he deserved right here at home. 

I have absolutely no complaints about him. He was one of the greatest blessings that God has ever given me.

In the words of men from long ago that I have great admiration for: He would do to ride the river with. 

Rosco was faithful and true, and he will be forever missed and loved. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

I hate ta here about ole Roscoe's passing Brother... I know exactly how ya feel... 

I'm typin this a bit teary eyed over my ole retriever, Jake... He's been gone a long time... I'm still sad... I've cried and mourned for him a bunch...

Here, i think, is a bit of the reason why.... Lord Byron said it best, i think...

http://www.newfoundlanddog.ca/lord-byron-and-his-newfoundland-dog-boatswain.htm

With sincere condolences...

leroy...

• Like 2

My condolences,  it's been a tough few month for our little friends.  We put one of ours down a few weeks ago too, we all miss him.  He is buried out at my hunting land, right next to one of my date trees.  He is the second to rest there, my other buddy is taking care of my plum tree.  I figured I'd move before selling my hunting spot so the decision was easy.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, res308 said:

Bersaguy, I really wanted to extend condolences to you when you posted that. I could not bring myself to type it in. I think it was because I knew this was coming. 

Thank you all. It is very much appreciated. 

Thank you and very very sorry to read about Rosco. Maybe Rosco and Kasey will run and play together at the Rainbow Bridge!! 

16 hours ago, res308 said:

I think Rosco might have been the best friend I've ever had, and he was just a little firecracker of black and brindle colored happiness. No one knew where he came from. No one knew how old he was. No one knew what breed he was. And it never mattered.

He was probably at least 2 or 3 years old when he came to us around 10 or 11 years ago.

He passed away this morning.

I guess the neighbors may have wondered today why a 49 year old man was out in the back yard sobbing. But I ain't ashamed of it. Because I dearly loved that little feller, and I ain't ashamed of that either.

My boys came home and helped me give him the proper and respectful burial he deserved right here at home. 

I have absolutely no complaints about him. He was one of the greatest blessings that God has ever given me.

In the words of men from long ago that I have great admiration for: He would do to ride the river with. 

Rosco was faithful and true, and he will be forever missed and loved. 

Well spoken, my friend. I feel for you loss and pains. Like many of us here, the passing of a great friend and companion is very hard to speak of.

My heartfelt condolences to you.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  But you know, something sent Rosco your way all those years ago.  He was probably out, lonely and alone and without a friend in the world, and he went to the right place to be loved, taken care of and, when the time came, missed.  I would say his life was a whole lot better - and longer - for having found you.

I think I might have related this, before, but even Napoleon is said to have commented on the loyalty of a good dog.  The story goes that he was on the battlefield one day after a battle and came upon a dog whining, maybe even howling, over the corpse of its master.  Obviously the dog had accompanied the young soldier into battle and had been there when the man fell.  Napoleon commented that surely there were other people from the same town or village as the fallen soldier who were around when he died.  Some of those people, in Napoleon's mind, had probably known him - probably had been friends or even kin.  And yet, here he lay on the battlefield alone and deserted by all except for one, loyal companion - his dog.  In closing out the tale, Napoleon commented that he had knowingly and without regret made decisions that meant men going to their deaths in battle and yet he was moved to tears by the love, loyalty and grief of a simple dog.  If a stranger's dog can make Napoleon cry then you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of in shedding tears for your friend, Rosco.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3