IWI Announces the Masada Pistol

TGO David

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

My co-host on Shooters Nation, Mark, really liked it when he got his hands on one at Triggrcon in Washington state last month.  The thing that I noticed on a video review that I watched was that the optics mounting plates are polymer.

The reviewer said this surprised him, which it does me as well, but he then added "Well so are the frames of practically every gun made in recent history so I guess this really shouldn't bother me" and I had to concede that he had a valid point.

Really what I think the Masada signals to me, along with the arrival of the FN 509 MRD and the Sig P365 XL and a slew of other optics-ready guns from SHOT and NRAAM this year, is that the gun industry is finally making this mainstream.  The Masada, though, is making it affordable... and that's awesome!  :)

I know what video review you watched. 

I’m leaning towards that P365XL. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • 2 weeks later...

I've handled one and got a chance to look at it with the slide off.    The internals didn't inspire a lot of confidence.  The rails were relatively flimsy sheet metal that were floating and not firmly molded into the frame, and some of the fire control assembly parts appeared fragile and not up to much use and abuse.   

There was nothing off-putting about handling and dry-firing.  It is pretty acceptable all the way around.   Trigger was around 5 pounds.  About the only exceptional feature here is the optic mounting system, at this price point.  

I'm not saying I won't buy one, but I want to wait until some longer-term reviews start to trickle in, and I will wait until I can pick one up more cheaply than I've seen it so far ($470).

Back in the early 90's I was kicking around the idea of becoming a polymer engineer when I was trying to choose a major. I was intrigued by a guest-speaker who was an engineer from a plant in Kansas City that made parts for nuclear weapons who told me that they had a polymer so tough that they couldn't find a tool that could reliably cut it. I learned not to poo-poo things because it was a polymer.

• Like 1