Guns with sentimental value ~ Part II

Bob Wright

This Ruger Super Blackhawk belonged to my son-in-law, Mike Vick.

100_31731.jpg

His dad had bought the gun while he was in the Marine Corps.  When Mike got old enough, his Dad gave him the gun.  Mike read an article in a gun magazine featuring a 5" Super Blackhawk, written by Lee Jurras.  Mike had the barrel cut back to 5" but did not have the gun ported.  In July of 1979, Mike was killed in a car wreck, and a couple of weeks after the funeral, my daughter gave the gun to me.

For awhile I dressed up the gun with some stag grips from Eagle Grips:

101_0027.jpg

But, after a number of years, it needed some improvements, so I sent the gun off to Dave Clements who did considerable work on the gun, and I replaced those stags with rosewood, from Lett Grips:

101_0005.jpg

This remains one of my favorite guns, and its round count is just over 17,000 rounds fired through it.

Bob Wright

Edited by Bob Wright
  • Like 2

My Ruger story begins with trickery...

A few years ago, my phone rings and the call id reveals an  international call, it's my buddy calling from Afghanistan.

Buddy as in high school, best man, etc.

This particular conversation included, "what would be a cool revolver?"

I like the size of the SP101, so my contribution was:

3" barrel (slight improvement when shooting .357

Better grips and front sight.

Some improvement to the trigger.

Months and months after the conversation, I went to visit while he was home.

He hands me a box and inside is a  beautiful 3" SP fresh from Gemini Custom and Andrews Leather holster.

Bead blast finish, billboard removed.

XS Big Dot front sight.

Cut for moon clips.

I swapped the grips, the 3" is sporting Trausch Grips.

Bob, I'm not sure how to describe how quickly the cylinder rotates when you begin actuating the hammer for SA or trigger for DA for the next shot, but is seems amazingly fast.

I teared up and gave him a hug when I noticed he had my initials engraved on the frame...

Note, the 2" also came from Buddy in a trade

IMG_20161014_160551440.jpg

• Like 4