Heritage Rough Rider Revolver - Any Good as Cheap Single Action 22 Toy

PAULSHOOT

I say toy as my use will be plinkin' and target shootin' at slow pace (reduce AMMO use with fixed cylinder load 'em one at a time). Maybe play like a cowboy cause it is old time cowboy weapon replica in 22LR or 22 MAG caliber. Taurus bought Heritage MFG, but the guns are made in Miami, FL. 

I am pretty sure based on U-Tube Reviews (basically good gun for the money) and MY WANTS (sometiems wants are needs HA!), that I will buy one tomorrow at Bud's as best price currently around here $119 and includes 1/2 HR FREE Range time. It's a Wants & Needs Thing. :biglol:

So, just posting this for your Information and any KNOWLEDGABLE EXPERIENCEEd COMMENTS -- I probably should wait to buy, but going to jump the gun and do it FRI - maybe SAT. 

That said, there are a couple issues from reviews per U-Tube: It can be off and only sight adjustment is file / bend front sight (it is old style western fixed sights - like old 45s). Also, saw one bad review when a guy supposedly had one new with cylinder alignment off to point he got lead back in his face (fired 5 rounds before he decided it was a problem - seems strange). Also, only 1 year warranty.

By the way it has a safety that keeps hammer from hitting firing pin in case you should drop it or bang the hammer. So, can load all six rounds safely. Also, can get a 22MAG Cylinder to use in same gun for extra $29.99 (interchangeable with 22 LR).

List price for Basic 22LR with 4 or 6 inch barrel is $179. Two dealers  (Knifeworks and Floyds) in Sevierville, TN has them for $129. Just found out Bud's (Sevierville, TN) has them for $119 and includes 1/2 HR Free Range time. 

Have heard Sports Academy has Black Friday sales on these every year for $99. Their in stock price today was $179. FORGET THAT.

Edited by PAULSHOOT
add statement

I really like mine a lot.  Like any inexpensive gun I suppose they can be hit or miss but mine is definitely a hit, especially for what it is.  That said, I bought mine before Heritage was bought out by Taurus so I can't speak to any changes, if there have been any, since then.

I did notice in the Black Friday ad that someone posted in another thread yesterday that Cabela's is supposed to have a 9 shot version with 'black pearl' style grips and with the .22LR cylinder only for $129 (used to be able to order WMR cylinders directly from Heritage but, again, I don't know if that is still the case.)

This was from a few years ago at the Spring Creek Shooting Range.  As a lark - and because I had been consistently hitting hanging metal plates that were at 50 yards - I emptied a cylinder at a (large) target at 100 yards.  Walked out to get the target and realized I had managed to put two holes in the paper, at the edge.  As I and the folks I was shooting with were the only people there at the time I decided to try and 'dial it in' to see what I could do.  The colored circles and the legend that interprets them tells most of the rest of the story.  I was shooting off hand (I stink at shooting from a rest) in more or less a Weaver stance with a two hand hold using the factory iron sights.  We didn't have a spotting scope so I was walking 100 yards out and 100 yards back between each cylinder full to check the target and trying to remember my POA relative to POI from the previous cylinder full so I could make 'Kentucky windage' adjustments.  I only shot three cylinders full partly because I was tired of walking out and back and partly because I decided to quit while I was 'ahead' on the third cylinder.  This is the only handgun I own with which I have ever attempted a 100 yard shot.  In the hands of a better shooter I think the results could be downright impressive.  For perspective and to give an idea of target size, my Rough Rider is a 6.5 inch barreled model.  Mine is also a 6 shot model (they weren't even making the 9 shot at the time.)

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, JAB said:

I really like mine a lot.  Like any inexpensive gun I suppose they can be hit or miss but mine is definitely a hit, especially for what it is.  That said, I bought mine before Heritage was bought out by Taurus so I can't speak to any changes, if there have been any, since then.

I did notice in the Black Friday ad that someone posted in another thread yesterday that Cabela's is supposed to have a 9 shot version with 'black pearl' style grips and with the .22LR cylinder only for $129 (used to be able to order WMR cylinders directly from Heritage but, again, I don't know if that is still the case.)

This was from a few years ago at the Spring Creek Shooting Range.  As a lark - and because I had been consistently hitting hanging metal plates that were at 50 yards - I emptied a cylinder at a (large) target at 100 yards.  Walked out to get the target and realized I had managed to put two holes in the paper, at the edge.  As I and the folks I was shooting with were the only people there at the time I decided to try and 'dial it in' to see what I could do.  The colored circles and the legend that interprets them tells most of the rest of the story.  I was shooting off hand (I stink at shooting from a rest) in more or less a Weaver stance with a two hand hold using the factory iron sights.  We didn't have a spotting scope so I was walking 100 yards out and 100 yards back between each cylinder full to check the target and trying to remember my POA relative to POI from the previous cylinder full so I could make 'Kentucky windage' adjustments.  I only shot three cylinders full partly because I was tired of walking out and back and partly because I decided to quit while I was 'ahead' on the third cylinder.  This is the only handgun I own with which I have ever attempted a 100 yard shot.  In the hands of a better shooter I think the results could be downright impressive.  For perspective and to give an idea of target size, my Rough Rider is a 6.5 inch barreled model.  Mine is also a 6 shot model (they weren't even making the 9 shot at the time.)

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

WOW! You're my hero.:no1:

Hey -- Thanks for the responses. Sounds like folks are happy with the pistol. AMAZED at gregintenn's 100 yard stuff. FUN. 

Makes me feel better as I all ready bought mine today (11-10-2017), should have waited for some reviews - but would have bought anyway with what has been said here. 

Bought it at Buds Gun Shop & Range, Sevierville TN. Best deal around here ($10 less than any place I checked). $119 + $10 Background Check + Tax = $142.xx

Includes 1/2 HR Range FREE (pretty sure I took longer to shoot about 90 rounds of 22 LR I had taken with me and I also shot a clip of 9MM). 

Range setup (SEE PICTURES ATTACHED) -- My target (middle) is set at 30 feet in picture for last 2 groups and a 9MM group (earlier 6 groups of 22 pistol shot at 20 feet).

9MM group has squiggly outline (not too good shooting). It overlaps 22LR group #8 (top left). There are 4 rounds of 9MM I am OK with (one a bit high and two close and one a bit low)

Heritage Rounds 
Refer to PICTURE ATTACHED  for the new 22 Revolver (shot it with hands rested on table as wanted to take me out of the equation as much as I could). I am not the best consistent shooter.

It's fun to shoot, might be more fun playing cowboy (draw and shoot and fan the hammer -- not recommended by the MFG). :-)

By the way, even with the safety (it stops the hammer from hitting the firing pin),  the MFG suggest leaving a round out of the cylinder and carry the gun with that hole in cylinder at firing position (prevent accidental misfire if hammer hits the firing pin). That was definitely the only safe way to carry a single action with no safety (like in old days). Then when you cock the hammer (single action pistol) the cylinder rotates a live round under the pin. However, if you intend to shoot right after you load, then load all six rounds.

Sights are a bit hard to see (rear sight is like a troth in the frame and front sight is dark black). I think I will eventually put a dab of white paint on at least the front sight and maybe the rear as well.

I Shot 8 groups at 20 Feet:

First 3 Groups (6 shot groups):
#1 in center at the X, #2 lower right at the 7, #3 lower left at the 7.

Basically, I decided gun is shooting low and left a little (maybe me but U Tube reviews indicate the fixed sights are off some and cannot adjust except to file the front sight and bend it left or right)

AS I SAID - it is old west like the 45s of the day).  

Next 3 Groups (12 shot groups):
Not sure when, but some shots I aimed high and right (KY Windage) to compensate for the gun being off (I think it is off). I did some better. 

#4 at center 3 inch pasted on target, #5 at right 2 inch target, #6 at left 2 inch target.   

FINAL 2 groups at 30 feet (18 shot groups):
I am pretty sure I aimed most all of those high and right of target in an attempt to compensate for the guns sights.

#7 at upper right 4 inch target, #8 at upper left 4 inch target.

#8 group, the last one had some a bit high VS low and not far off.
There is some overlap from the 9MM that was aimed even higher and to the right of the 4 dot target in center at top (pitiful on the real bad ones). 

IMG_20171110_113352_LI.jpg

IMG_20171110_114102.jpg

Edited by PAULSHOOT

I have one as well, have both cylinders, 22LR and the mag. I have been told to not fire many mags as the frame could crack. Kids love to shoot it as much as I do.

Edited by RED333
Because I can

WHAT I WANTED TO DO was see if I could use paint marks on FRONT and REAR sights to then position the sights when shooting to be on target. I was hitting mostly low and left (roughly 2 inches each direction at 20 feet). Realize I am not the best marksmen in the world and I had only shot about 90 rounds at Bud'S Gun Range the day I bought it (they allow you 30 MIN Range Time when you purchase a gun there).    

So, I went to Bubbling Spring Range (Nat'l Park) this AM - left home at 6:47AM and rode my MC there (it is about 60 miles). I took a break on the way for coffee and Biscuit & Egg.  Three guys already there and shooting (rifle range - so I had 25 YD Pistol range, walk up to 20 feet). I think they get there at sunrise (same group last Sunday). Just saying - lot of shooting on SUN AM as day off work. I am retired and should not be taking up time from others on a Sunday. 

Back on topic - Here are two pictures of the sight modification I did.

The first picture is not retouched and shows the paint mark on front sight (faint white dot) and also shows the paint mark at right side of the rear sight.
The picture is off as the front dot needs to be on top the rear dot (hard to hold sights aligned and the camera aligned). Anyway, it gives an idea of the concept. My idea is to get the bottom of the paint on the front sight at top of the paint on the rear sight and on target. That brings in elevation (gun was shooting low before) and windage (gun was shooting left before). The Hammer is pulled back to firing position so can see see the sights. BTW, not much of a trough on the Old West Guns at the rear sight as you can see. 

The second picture is from another setting in basement and it was blurry. So, I edited the paint marks on the gun with white dots, and the trough ("u" area) with a black line. The front and rear sight are aligned better in this picture

I will need to refine the dots some and use a better white paint (actually, this is a silver auto body paint I had on hand). 

The Experiment at Bubbling Springs - TARGET PICTURE I took. (remember, I am not a great marksmen) 

The right target was a group of 25 rounds when I was doing initial setup. Aimed first with front sight in trough on gun. Most of the first few rounds were low and left. I started adjusting aim (white dot on sights position) and finally got more in the black target. 

Results of new aim are shown in the left target (white dot on front sight aligned over white on rear sight as shown in first two pictures). That is another 25 rounds more evenly spaced and I was playing with sight position a bit. However, I reckon most of the scatter, not all bulls eyes is cause of me. GROAN  

Anyway, I hate putting the paint on a replica gun, but I would anyway if gun was right on with front sight in the trough as makes sights more visible.

I do think I would rather do this than to start filing and bending he front sight. 

Anyone, have any comments are better way to get these fixed sight guns on target (comments will be appreciated).   

DSCN8365.JPG

DSCN8358.jpg

DSCN8359.JPG

Edited by PAULSHOOT
On 11/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, gregintenn said:

WOW! You're my hero.:no1:

Ha!  Thanks but not sure if I could do it again, now.  That was from 2009, if I recall correctly, and the past eight years have taken their toll on both my eyesight and the steadiness of my hands - plus I think the stars were just aligned right that day or something.  I hope to make it back down to Spring Creek one of these days, though, so maybe I will try it just to see.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, gregintenn said:

Put the barrel in a vice with padded jaws and screw it in a bit tighter?

Interesting thought -- that would move the right direction.

I would be scared to mess something up (would thing barrel all ready tight). Do you think could screw it in enough to move the sight over as far as Ia m showing (looks like 1/16 inch at least)?  

10 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

Interesting thought -- that would move the right direction.

I would be scared to mess something up (would thing barrel all ready tight). Do you think could screw it in enough to move the sight over as far as Ia m showing (looks like 1/16 inch at least)?  

Do you know the barrel is tight? It would be worth a try to me. There have been revolvers with loose barrels before. It would explain why the front sight isn't in an upright position.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Enjoyed the gun so far.

Saves on AMMO for sure and kind of fun unloading and loading like the Ol Cowboys and Gunslingers use to. :-)

I managed to get the Cylinder locked up one time. I think I pulled the hammer back past position 2 as I was getting ready to unload it and the lock mechanism at bottom of the cylinder raised up. Coludn't turn it either way. Finally got smart enough to remove the cylinder (that fixed things). Then my G-Son turned around and did the same thing I did.  

Anyway, be more careful in the future. 

I got a Rough Rider along with 2 other guns while making a gun deal back a few years ago and it ended up costing me about 50 bucks with both cylinders. I took it to the range just to check accuracy of it with 22lr and not the magnum cylinder. Was impressed with it at 15 yards. with out being familiar with it I managed to even impress myself at how accurate the gun was. Right now son in law has it cause he was having issues with critters killing his chickens at night in chicken house. He ended up killing 2 possums and a skunk which was lucky enough to kill outside the coop and my daughter heard a comotion one evening while son in law was still at work and she managed to shoot and kill a weasel that had killed a chicken and was eating on it when she shot it. It was outside the coop and in the chicken yard. She has also killed three chicken snakes with it in the summer time. Tommy offered to by it off of me and my daughter has just told me I can't have it back "SO" I guess that is that. I don't own one any more.....................:doh:........:clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

KEYHOLING, Key Holing (not sure which is proper as seen it both ways).

Anyway, my Heritage is apparently tumbling rounds (makes nice big holes and not to inaccurate at 20 feet, but bad at 30 feet).

What Little I have learned with minimum investigation is could be build up of lead in barrel.  I tried cleaning it better last evening after recent shoot, find it hard to look up the barrel as hard to do on a revolver. I did try a mirror.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with Keyholing on this gun (or any gun -- especially 22 Caliber Pistol).

Note Pictures of last time at a range  20 foot in this post Shucks - don't see the picture (it let me put it in, but it is not here). Maybe I messed up. 

30 foot target pictrue shows more scatter and obvious tumbling, web site want let me load more than this one picture (40.9KB Limit).    

Edited by PAULSHOOT
Pictures not showing up.

I have one with both .22LR and .22WMR cylinders.  Both were very accurate for me at 15 yards off hand.  Don't know how it will hold up but for the price it is more than I expected.

In short, I have been pleased.  

Edited by Jimbo100

Shot only six rounds using Blazer (3 rounds) and Am Eagle (3 rounds) today (3-22-2018).

Explain: Shot only 6 rounds total because I only had 30 min time (FREE) at Bud's Range in Sevierville, TN and mainly was there to shoot a new GSG 1911 22LR (first time) and wanted to test it with four different AMMOs.  

Anyway, at 20 feet -- had two in Bulls Eye and 1 about 1/2 inch out, and 2 about 1 inch out, and one about 2 1/4 inch out. No evidence of Keyholing.

MAYBE, the good cleaning fixed it.

Wish I could have shot more -- but ran over on time as it was with the 1911 GSG.

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • 5 months later...

Lost a screw (backstrap screws I think they call them - 4 in back near handle and 1 in front of the trigger guard). They hold the workings (my term for barrel and cylinder) to the frame (my term for the handle and rail with trigger guard). The screw I lost is the one in front of the trigger guard looking at the bottom of the gun. Apparently worked it's way loose and fell out the last trip to the range. 

By The Way -- came home and found a U-Tube regarding screw coming loose problems. SOLUTION -- Take them out and use Lock Tite (blue).  MIGHT KNOW, I would find that after the fact. GROAN

Anyway, tried all morning to contact Heritage Customer Service -- get to the point of choosing Tech Support or Part Support and get a Message  "We are having Tech Difficulty - Pleas call back later."

In  the meantime I got to a web site that listed some Heritage Parts. There was a kit containing the 4 screws in back and the 1 screw in front for $9.99 plus shipping at like $10.95 = $21 to get the one screw I needed. I still hoped to call and see if they would ship the one screw CHEAPER.

Since I could not call today, I went searching with a screw I took out of the back (one of the four), they are all the same thread, but different heads. That said the ones in back would work in front but not the other way. 

Found a screw at Fastenal in Sevierville, TN  https://www.fastenal.com/ 

They looked and looked and found one to match thread with a different head (phillip head) and is Zinc Coated with a Silver Look.  ONE PROBLEM -- comes in PKG of 100 at $4.37 with tax. 

I painted it with Rust Oleum (Shinny Black), let it dry, and installed using Lock Tite. 

NOTE: that screw would not work in the other 4 positions due to the type head on it. 

Also, I took other screws out ( 4 in back, one at a time), the Grip Screw, and the Ejection Assembly Screw (hold he assembly or it will go flying) and used lock tite when put them back in.

By The Way --  I might add two or three of those were loose and only a matter of time until the Ejection Assembly Screw came out (parts and springs would fly away).  

Now if I could find the receipt I saved, I could give the screw specifications (40 something and 5/16 long).

Can't find receipt  😕 have to go get the PKG in basement later.  OOPS Found RECEIPT. 😁

Screw is  PPH MS 4-40 x 5/16 Z  and 100 count is $4.31 plus tax = $4.73

Don't know what PPH MS means -- MY GUESS other is pitch and thread (4-40) and length (5/16) and Z (ZINC).

REMEMBER -- these will not fit the four back locations.  

Edited by PAULSHOOT
1) Correct errors. 2) Add screw type o