Owners of SIG P238 with Failure to Feed Issues

guyver60

I bought a SIG P238 not long after they were first introduced and fell in love with it. Once I got into the 600-800 area of rounds fired, I began to experience the failure to feed issues.  It got to where I was experiencing 2-3 FTF per clip.  I tried different types of ammo, but that did not correct the problem.  I got frustrated with it, no longer trusted it as a carry gun and stuck it in the safe.  Due to work and family stuff at the time, I did not want to deal with it.  I recently got it back out, tried different ammo again and a new magazine; but still experienced 2-3 FTF per magazine.  I read this appeared to be a common problem with many of the P238's, so I called SIG to see what they would do about it.  There was no acknowledgment of my issue being a common issue, and he suggested that since my gun was 7 years old I should get the full service package - so I would have a dependable carry gun.  (Oh, I thought I bought a dependable carry gun.)  I acknowledge the gun was 7 years old, but had no more than 1000 rounds through it and sat in my safe for most of it's life.  Anyway, I sent it in for the Full Service Package, got it back in about two weeks, and it shoots great.

I realize I should have called SIG when it was new.  However, if my issue was a common one, I don't think I should have had to pay for the full service.  It appears from some of your posts on this site that you sent your guns in, had them repaired, and at no cost to you?  I would be interested to know what was repaired and/or replaced and what you were charged if anything.   Thanks.

2 hours ago, leroy said:

I would replace the recoil spring and see what happens... 

leroy...

Agreed. My wife's 238 started showing some pretty unusual wear on the barrel(metal actually disappearing). I sent pics to Sig. They agreed it wasn't right and sent me a new recoil spring. I'd give Sig a call and they will probably take care of you. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine runs like a swiss watch. I don't have 1000 rounds through it though. I love the pistol but I have started carrying the Ruger LC9s or a S & W model 36 so it has become a safe queen. I need to take it out and start running some ammo through it.