Sighting in deer rifles for deer season

This seems to be a somewhat religious event among deer hunters. I'll shoot a rifle every now and again, but not necessarily just before deer season.

I don't know about your experiences, but mine always shoot exactly where they shot last year. Is this a problem I've just been lucky enough to somehow avoid?

• Like 1

Back in the day I use to I guess you could say sight my deer rifle in about a week before the season but I think it was just more of a get together of a few deer hunting buddies that enjoy deer hunting but also enjoy shooting so it was kind of a combo deal for us. Most everyones rifles were all dead on from year before but was still fun to get together.

• Like 1

I am struggling to find a time and a spot to sight in my "new to me" rifle/scope combo. Been years since I hunted at all. Where I am invited to hunt, they frown on any shooting this late. Anyone know if any of the indoor ranges in NE TN have setups for rifle? All the pics I have seen are pistol type tables. I may just have to try one of the National Forest ranges, but I hear they can be very hit or miss and the closest is about 40 minutes away. My schedule is as much an issue as anything else. Only thing I miss about my old gig. I had a place to shoot there whenever I wanted.

My Dad used to sight in his with one shot each year, but it was never was a get together. Maybe because shooting that .444 was not fun after a few shots. Or because the cost per shot was enough to make you wince. He also hunted alone most of the time though and still does.

44 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

A friend of mine said he went and shot a new rifle he bought at Buds but it's not a rifle range but he got to shoot his new rifle anyway.

I don't trust sighting in off-hand. I need somewhere to set it up on bags or a sled. 

May not matter. I am probably kidding myself that I will get to go anyway. Life likes to do things to prove I really am not in control. That has been the case all day today. My wants rarely work out. 

52 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

I've seen some guys at ORSA make one or two shots to confirm zero and leave, seen some be there a long time.  

I think about 3/4 of the members show up once a year for the deer rifle sight in but are never seen again until the next year. 

19 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I don't trust sighting in off-hand. I need somewhere to set it up on bags or a sled. 

May not matter. I am probably kidding myself that I will get to go anyway. Life likes to do things to prove I really am not in control. That has been the case all day today. My wants rarely work out. 

Sight it in however you expect to shoot. If you're shooting from a blind or stand where you can use bags or a rest, then sight in that way. 

I confirm every year. Years ago I was using an aught six with a dang tasco scope on it. Killed some deer with it one year, then put it up in a hard sided case in the closet. Never got bumped or anything, stayed safely tucked away. Next year I took it straight to the woods without confirming zero. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I remember getting so mad I removed the scope and destroyed it. I've confirmed zero every year since. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine get shot year round so I do not check them for deer season . I have however helped other sight theirs in . Most buy 2 boxes of shells ( sometime their even the same brand ) and hit the range with a rifle they haven't seen since last season . One guy had a .300 Win Mag he had dropped from his stand two days before the season ended and had hunted the last two without checking zero . He couldn't hit a refrigerator box he was using for a target backing . When he dropped the rifle the guts in his scope had busted and his cross hairs were now an X instead of a cross . He hadn't noticed ! I advised that he get a new scope and send the old one back to the factory to see if it could be repaired . 

See a lot of guys settle for pie plate groups because they bought 7 mm and .300 Mags and more than 3 or 4 rounds beats them up so much they can't really get one sighted in anyway . Most would be way better off with a good .243 and a good 100 grain load but you cant tell them that . They tell you how flat their rifle shoots at 300 yards and I have to tell them my .243's do pretty much the same but don't beat you up . Besides , there not hunting anywhere that they can see a deer at 300 yards anyway . 100 yards is a long shot most anywhere around here if your hunting fields and in the woods it's a lot closer shots than that . 

Eddie

PS : I really like old steel tube Weavers and older Redfields .

Edited by Eddie Southgate
16 minutes ago, Eddie Southgate said:

Mine get shot year round so I do not check them for deer season . I have however helped other sight theirs in . Most buy 2 boxes of shells ( sometime their even the same brand ) and hit the range with a rifle they haven't seen since last season . One guy had a .300 Win Mag he had dropped from his stand two days before the season ended and had hunted the last two without checking zero . He couldn't hit a refrigerator box he was using for a target backing . When he dropped the rifle the guts in his scope had busted and his cross hairs were now an X instead of a cross . He hadn't noticed ! I advised that he get a new scope and send the old one back to the factory to see if it could be repaired . 

See a lot of guys settle for pie plate groups because they bought 7 mm and .300 Mags and more than 3 or 4 rounds beats them up so much they can't really get one sighted in anyway . Most would be way better off with a good .243 and a good 100 grain load but you cant tell them that . They tell you how flat their rifle shoots at 300 yards and I have to tell them my .243's do pretty much the same but don't beat you up . Besides , there not hunting anywhere that they can see a deer at 300 yards anyway . 100 yards is a long shot most anywhere around here if your hunting fields and in the woods it's a lot closer shots than that . 

Eddie

PS : I really like old steel tube Weavers and older Redfields .

Back in the day when I was a range offier for a well known AR Manufactureer I ran into something similiar. While running a course of fire for an event we had several local LEO attend that wanted to get into IPSC shooting. Great, gave them the tour, explained how things ran, safety brief, then away we go. first couple guys did OK, did not shoot worth a darn but did not hit anyone either. 

3rd guy comes to line, Shooter ready? Nods, timer goes off, shooter draws, click! Shooters stares at gun for a minute, looks to see if there is a mag, pulls trigger again! Nothing.

Racks slide, pulls trigger again, click! Again. Drops mag, racks slide (Yes, he got the order right!) Looks at round, no mark on primer. Looks at me and says "Well I guess I am done."

Major issue with this was.....wait for it.....It was his everyday duty gun! Lord only knows how long it had been broken.

So yes I take a couple shots every yeare before season as you never know which gremlin got in the safe last.

• Like 1