People simply don't know gun laws

So on the drive home a little while ago I was listening to a show called "Beyond the beltway" that comes out of Chicago. They were talking about gun control vs mental illness and what we can do. So the "pro gun" guy brings up about how Chicago has the third toughest gun laws, but one of the highest gun murder rates. The liberal lady says that something like 60% of the guns recovered in Chicago come from Indiana, then the gun guy refers to Steven Crowder from PJ media who tried to see if he could buy a gun at a gun show and was shut down across the board by sellers. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEihkjKNhN8  At that point the lady brought up the "gunshow loophole"-that there are a ton of private sellers at gun shows, to which the guy replied that those people are still supposed to do background checks! So the gun guy had it flat wrong and while the liberal lady technically had it correct, was using it to make people assume that anyone can drive in from another state and just easily buy guns private party (and it is illegal for private party seller to sell to anyone out of state anyway.) But it's situations like this that make it so hard to have any kind of serious conversation with people because they heard people like these two morons and "think" they are educated on the issue. The fact that they can trace guns back to Indiana shows that a citizen of Indiana is at some point is committing a crime (giving them to citizens of IL.) But no, we have people in the media talking about guns that don't know guns, don't know the laws, and obviously cannot think logically....and I'm just talking about the people who are supposed to be the "pro gun" people! The sad part is that this is true on so many subjects, not just guns. The sad part is that things like guns laws are super easy to find the answer on most of the time (unless we are talking about crazy nuances that only a good old TN lawmaker can add to the law;)) )

In Illinois so are supposed the check their FOID status.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx

Of course there is no logic or reason to the debate. If you have money, someone will sell you a gun no matter what state you are in or where you are from.

Most narcotics are a felony to sell. But it’s obviously not hard to find a seller.

• Like 2

AS much as I'd love to fault people for not knowing gun laws, I'm a very active pro gun person who carries who frequently crosses state lines. With a college level education and extreme familiarity searching the internet I can barely keep up with the states I'm traveling to/from and constant changes to their laws. The sheriff in the county I own a business in in IL didn't even accurately explain their new HCP process to me in passing last year, and he's supposed to be one of the ones enforcing it!

No offense but most of the people on this forum don't even understand TN gun laws (yes they're crappy and make no sense what so ever), how do you expect anybody to understand all the combinations of federal and state gun laws that exist out there?

We have a republican legislature that can't even pass a pro-gun law that doesn't make the gun laws even more stupid and hard to understand.  I use to be able to carry into the small town city hall where I went to high school, I can't now because in the basement is the police office.  How many city halls in TN have been shot up by permit holders?  None, yet we have to make the law even harder for a otherwise law abiding citizen to follow.

Somebody please explain to me, how when we had a democratic legislature we got more and better gun laws passed than we do under a republican one?

My thing is this; If you don't know the law, then don't go on talk shows, give interviews, or otherwise use a public platform to give bad information.  I give forums like this a pass, mostly because I know many have a misunderstanding of laws and the people on forum will mostly auto correct their perception.  But when you are supposed to be the "Expert", you dang better be read up on the law or topic you are supposed to be an expert on.

Only a little off topic. I have an app on my smart phone called CCW that gives all kinds of gun law info for all 50 states and DC including reciprocity and such. Every time you start it up it checks for updates for the data it uses and asks if you want to be updated. It wasn't free but it was only a couple of dollars.

On 11/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, DaveTN said:

In Illinois so are supposed the check their FOID status.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx

Of course there is no logic or reason to the debate. If you have money, someone will sell you a gun no matter what state you are in or where you are from.

Most narcotics are a felony to sell. But it’s obviously not hard to find a seller.

Thanks!  I thought I was fairly up to date.  But did not know that they slipped this in on us, effective in 2014.