Gun season opens in the morning

Darn kids, got up late. Gave kid my stand so he would have the best opportunity. 45 minutes later, bang, his first deer! 

Nice 8 point. So his fat, old, out of shape dad helped dress it, drag it to truck, get it home then hang it in tree. I am now kicked back with cinnamon rolls the wife made and coffee. All in all a good day. 

IMG_20171119_083146869.jpg

• Like 6

The wind sure cut through ya this morning! I had two doe come by about an hour apart. One of them had a deer 50 yards or so behind it but never could make out what it was. I moved to my blind at 9:30. First time hunting out of it this year. I have to leave at noon so these bucks need to step it up and come on :dirty:

Nothing in my patch, my neighbors must of dropped at least a couple by the sounds of it. Wind was good, sun came up good viz, but only birds and a squirrel or two. Out of the stand at 12:30, do some stand and trailer maintenance, I'll also get a bite, then back at it.

Hit the stand this morning. Watched a spike come in and hang around a pretty good while. He moved on to the thicket behind me, and I could hear some deer moving around back there.  A little while later an 8 and a small 4 came out together from the same thicket behind me. The wind had been in my face the whole time, blowing toward that thicket. I guess my attempt at homemade cedar cover scent worked!

I watched that 8 for just a bit, wasn't sure if I wanted to take him or not. But then I thought about last season and how they all went nocturnal right after opening day. 

So I consulted with the Texan, we came to a consensus, and he sent out a 170 grain .30-30 round by way of greeting. The 8 just dropped without ever taking a step. Not the best or biggest of deer by far, but it's meat on the table. Plus it broke the ice after letting myself get skunked last year. Now I can relax and try to find a nice buck and then some more freezer meat. 

Site won't let me upload a picture of it though. 

• Like 1

My neighbors were kind enough to let one by for me, little 4 point was down at the bottom of the hill at the end of my food plot so I invited him home for dinner with my .270 Vanguard using 130 grain Winchester Super X.  Hit him in the spine, and out his shoulder, 13° down angle, DRT.  One of his tines was broke a while back, lots of bark in the broken area, so their fixin to rut I guess.

A friend asked me to get him one so I figured this one would do, because I can never tell the size of does through my scope unless their real tiny, and since he is paying for the processing I want to make sure it's worth it for him.  All local processors are at capacity though, until maybe tomorrow at one place, the rest until after Friday.  I'll pack him in ice until then, then if no openings I'll either keep him, I process my own, or see if I can find another processor.

So now, I have to be super careful to not shoot a button buck today.  Now watch, one of them trophy buck will come by and tease me.  :biglol:

5a134f757ea2b_4point.jpg.55ae80bbf26211d5128227bf77879fc7.jpg

• Like 5

Well son's first deer is now in the freezer. I am getting old. I used to be able to process a deer in a couple hours. Now it took the of us 4 hours and I am exhausted. 

Oh well good food and a great memory for the son. Good Thanksgiving so far. 

• Like 1

I'm not gonna lie....I froze out in the wind this morning. I saw a bunch of deer, with one decent buck I probably would have shot if I had more than one buck left on the tag this year. Looks like the two buck limit thing is really working; at least with me.:D

My younger son was going with me. We got halfway there and he forgot his hunting license. Went back home to get them and he decided he'd just stay home since it was windy.

On 11/19/2017 at 10:07 AM, n0rlf said:

Darn kids, got up late. Gave kid my stand so he would have the best opportunity. 45 minutes later, bang, his first deer! 

Nice 8 point. So his fat, old, out of shape dad helped dress it, drag it to truck, get it home then hang it in tree. I am now kicked back with cinnamon rolls the wife made and coffee. All in all a good day. 

IMG_20171119_083146869.jpg

There seems to be a message in here somewhere.......always take a kid hunting with you :D

Wisconsin girl, 6, bags 6-point buck 

girl_and_deer.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2017/11/22/wisconsin-girl-6-bags-6-point-buck-under-states-new-hunting-law.html

Got in the tree at 4:45. At 5:15 I had a deer walk literally behind my tree but have no idea what it was. I had to come out at 9:30 because we’re doing Thanksgiving at in laws and since the wife just had shoulder surgery she needs help getting ready. So I eased down and checked my camera to find a new 6 pointer that was 20 yards in front of my stand Monday at 9am while I was at work. As I put the card back in two does came out from back property line. I waited for 20 minutes to let them get on by my truck but they didn’t. Waited until I got up there and eased back in the woods. Anyway, usual for the deer on this place to move later in the morning when it’s really cold so I wasn’t surprised to see them as I left. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Well, unless another friend requests one, my season is done.  Last evening, two minutes before my personal "do not shoot" time two doe walked into my field of view.  They didn't present a shot and disappeared at the bottom of the hill toward my food plot.  I waited to see if they'd appear for a few minutes, when they didn't, I set my rifle down thinking they laid down.  Started packing to leave when they showed up at the opposite side of my food plot, I figured I had already engaged them so they were in play.  I chose to take the older of the two and took a neck shot.  It was at the exact same spot as the buck, but unlike the buck she had enough energy to go up and over the hill.  At first I thought I missed, but when I went down I found a good blood trail and tracked her down.  Man, you would think she weighed more than her 125 lbs trying to get her back up the hill, I played hell trying to get any traction and felt like she was stuck on something.  Took what felt an hour to get to the top, and once there she decided to slide down the other side taking me along a couple times. The rest of my time will be used  to make improvements to my stand and hunting area in general.

• Like 1

Sitting in the woods this morning for the first time in maybe 30 years. Made it a priority to go at least once this year. My 12yr old should be with me, but he came down with a  cold yesterday. Hovering around freezing in SW VA. On my in-laws property, so I waited until they got a couple before coming. Buck only in VA in Sunday, but nothing moving anyway except some geese that flew up the valley below me. 

My Son and grandsons have been wondering what the heck happened to all the deer they had all Summer and Fall on the trail cams. Normally they all have limits by now. Justin put up a bunch of trail cams last weekend and they found out why the deer are gone. Poachers on the property. He got pictures of them two different times dragging deer out during the week off to a road at the back end of my sons property. He called TWRA and they said if he has pictures of them they can do something so a Warden came out to the house and he showed them the trailcams that had the pictures , times and dates the pictures were made. The game warden actually knew two of them as he has arrested them before for tresspassing and poaching. I have not heard anymore as to what happened. I'm still hoping they can put me one more in my freezer this year anyway. I have a Doe my grandson Logan got for me in Muzzle loader in it already. 

I haven't posted much because my hunts have been fairly uneventful.  I also haven't been able to get out as much as I usually do because I have to work weekends through deer season this year!! Anyways, I made it out there today and it was the most I've ever hunted in a single day ever!  With the exception of only 2 hrs for a lunch and potty break...I hunted 30 mins before sunrise to 30 mins after sunset!  So I certainly did my part.  The deer didn't do theirs....there was a lot of rutting activity in the morning, saw some nice bucks, but I was doe hunting, and a doe never presented a shot.  Later on that evening, I only saw a spike.  Where have all the doe gone?!?!

We have also seen an unprecedented amount of buttons and spikes this year.  Not sure whats up with that.  I guess i'm glad we have young bucks that will become old bucks, but I want a few doe!