Man accidentally shoots himself, wife in church

FortKnox

Oh for petes sake! The last thing we need to crop up right now is Gomer, Goober, Otis, and Esrnest T Bass showing their guns to each other in church! We all need training and refresher training, and we all need to follow the BASIC rules of firearms safety. The first of which is to not be ham fisting and booger hookin yer shoot'n iron. Crap like this can very well create an environment in various churches where guns are no longer welcome and the congregation goes back to being unprotected. 

• Like 1

Between the terrorists shooting up the churches and and bubbas trying to protect the churches, and our church, that seems that the best thing to do is pray that no one shoots up our church, I've sadly made the decision to lay out of church for a while.

2 hours ago, Sam1 said:

both of them being in their 80's I'll refrain from a 'stupid is as stupid does' comment.  Hope they heal completely and fast.

I also hope they do heal but at 80 + no one heals fast. I have bumped into friends while out somewhere and they are all packing also and the know I do so we might stand and talk a few minutes and talk about what we are packing that day. I have had a few times one of them or someone with them that has never see a Mod.85 and will ask to see it. All I do is open my windbreaker and show it to them and close my jacket back. Just to show them, yea I do have it but you ain't touchng it approach and that normally ends that. Any gun I am packing feels leather twice a day. When I place the gun in the holster and and when I get home ad take it out of the holster. At the range it will get more leather action as I do practice standard draw aim fire routine but not like Matt Dillion or Jesse James. Just normal stuff.

10 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I've sadly made the decision to lay out of church for a while.

My fellowship meets in various members homes.....like in the beginning when we were, collectively, called followers of the Way....(Book of Acts)...I get to know others better and how to pray for them....we protect each other and its not a small group either. With all the stuff happening nowadays, I believe it would be beneficial for the followers of Christ to abandon the large buildings we call the church and meet together in our homes so we can be the church. True persecution is coming brothers....Yeshua was persecuted and promised the same for us.  :2cents:

Well, how about a statement from the guy across the table of the man that had the accidental discharge?

• After having a Thanksgiving lunch in a meeting room of the church the discussion went to what kind of handgun a lady at the table should get for concealed carry.
  • The gentleman just across from me said " I carry everyplace I go ". With this he reached into his pocket and pulled out his LCP. Dropped the mag and cleared the chamber
  • He handed me the gun, I gave it a proprietary look and handed it the lady we were talking about. She also gave it a 5 second look and handed it back to him.
  • He then returned the mag and charged the chamber. Then put it back in his pocket. [Never saw a holster]
  • He then took it back out of his pocket to show my wife the paint he put on the hammer so he could see at a glance if the gun was cocked.
  • If you've noticed I didn't say anything about him clearing the gun again.
  • He had the gun in the palm of his hand facing away from my wife so she could see the back of the pistol and unfortunately toward his.
  • Why, I don't know but his finger ended up inside the trigger guard and accidentally pulled the trigger.
  • The blast from the gas blew a great deal of the tissue from just under his thumb away. The bullet impacted his wife in the lower abdomen, traveled just under the skin for a distance of 3-4 inches exiting and continuing on to hit her in the underside of her forearm, impacting both bones.

Now let's talk about the way Tennesseans react to such an emergency. It took 15-20 seconds for the rest of the people in the room to realize what had happened. You might expect them to run away from the danger, but that wasn't the case. Several went outside and were in the process of calling 911. Some moved the tables out of the way. Many were cleaning up the blood off the floor. Those of us with medical training were working were working with the injured.

Minutes later the Tellico Plain Police were on the scene. Followed by those from the next town North, followed closely by EMS. The man was taken by squad and his wife was taken by helicopter to UT.

I don't know why anyone would remove their gun from it's holster and not clear it everytime before handing it to someone to show it to them.  And I never put my finger inside the trigger guard when I am clearing it or reloading it period.............:wall:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I don't know why anyone would remove their gun from it's holster and not clear it everytime before handing it to someone to show it to them.  And I never put my finger inside the trigger guard when I am clearing it or reloading it period.............:wall:

bersaguy I agree with you completely. It was accident, but all accidents have a reason for happening.

• Like 1