A different kind of 300 Blackout pistol

Here is a pistol project I just started. 

It is a Remington Model 7 with an 8 twist 8” barrel with PT&G bottom metal. Still trying to figure out what trigger to use. I also plan on installing a Sako style extractor.

The stock is also something I need to sort out. I have some very nice walnut to work with, thanks @mhmd The barrel still needs to be profiled, going to use an M24 profile just shortened to fit an 8” barrel, thanks @LawEnforcementSalesTN  

My goal is to build several barrels of different calibers and be able to change barrels in minutes. Plans are a 300 Blackout barrel, 223 barrel and a 9mm barrel. And of course all will be silenced.

5a1050be8341c_modelpistol.jpg.840f8f66621dd9241aa5f02c92c7b8b0.jpg

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 7

Dolomite, have you used the PT&G stuff before? I really want a bolt action rifle in 300blk that takes standard AR mags. I'd become resigned to buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 223 and having a barrel built for it. I would have been stuck with crazy expensive AI mags if I did that.

This looks like a much better option. I need to get Mike to get me a barrel and weld a suppressor mount on it so it will be 16.1" overall. 

I await further details on your project. It looks cool...

PT&G..sigh.... I sent an email to see what they say. The magazine catch will not hold any magazine in place. The catch itself is beveled on the bottom AND the top. It looks like the bevel was done by hand and they accidentally beveled the top instead of the bottom. It is an easy fix for me but may not be for others. I am going to add material with a welder to fix it.

Also, anything other than milspec magazines will not drop free. You have to literally beat Magpul magazines in and out because the magwell is so tight. Lancet magazines are the same way as well as some off brand magazines I have.

You have to machine the receiver to open it up to accept the bottom metal. 

And finally, there is no refunds or exchanges on their bottom metal. We shall see how they respond to my email regarding the catch but I am not holding my breath.

I will make it work but it isn't drop in.

10 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

Out of curiosity how are you getting around using the Model 7 action for a pistol build? Was it a straight non- barreled action purchase? If so good on you, I'd wondered about that in the past.

A few years ago these were sold as bare receivers. Initially they were pricey but in the end a friend bought a BUNCH of them for a little over $100 each. That friend sent this one to me.

9 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

A few years ago these were sold as bare receivers. Initially they were pricey but in the end a friend bought a BUNCH of them for a little over $100 each. That friend sent this one to me.

OK, that's what I'd suspected but I'd never expected a great price like that. I owned an XP-100 many years ago which had been opened up and re-barreled to .308. This was a few years ahead of Remington offering it in anything other than the .221 Fireball and it was a good deer hunting set up. I suspect your build in .300 Blackout will be much more efficient.