Sooo.....I was looking for a dog

xsubsailor

56 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

You do realize that Buttons wasn't a dog right? He was a chupacabra. 

Well actually no, I have never heard that before. The Breeder my wife got his mother from called them Chinese Crests and had papers on them. My wife wanted a small dog and went to Airport Kennels to look for a lap dog and came home with his mother. The mother was given to my wife along with papers because she was considered to small to breed by the breeder. Well the man at the kennel was surprised when my wife notified him to tell him that her dog just gave birth to 3 babies. She was pregnant when he gave her to Margie and didn't know it. They looked like little pink rat babies about the size of my thumb. The Breeder made a trip to the house to see for himself. He was shocked to see the babies. This was a brand new breed that the Kennel had just began to handle and she was in his first shipment from China. It became evident really quick that the mother didn't like being a mother to all 3 pups but would care and feed 2 and she kept pushing Buttons out of the bed onto the floor. I called the kennel and he told me to come by and he would give me what I needed to keep the reject alive. He said that it was a natural thing for that breed of dog that the mother knew how much milk she could provide and how many she could raise and he was the chosen to not live. Well it was bottle feed him or let him die and I was not going to let that happen without a fight so the Kennel owner set me up with very small doll baby bottles and four 10 oz cans of dog milk for $65.00. Margie and I took turns feeding him and I made him a bed on a heating pad to keep him warm and when he was on his own and able to eat food Margie and I had a talk and I said i won't tell you to get rid of the dogs because they are yours but I really don't want a mother dog around that will not be a mother to all of her babies and Margie agreed so we sold her and it surprised me when Margie made the decision that Buttons would be the only one she would keep so she sold the other two pups and the mother and Buttons was king of the domain. When my wife passed away he became the king of my domain.

That is all I can tell you about them except people pay big money for them. Margie got $500.00 for the mother and $700.00 for each of the pups. Now as far as what I know about them I just figured they were very ugly dogs that required as much attention as they can get. That is why you see me carry him in most of the pictures. His being on a leash was totally unacceptable to him. When he went out someone had to go with him or he would not go out. Margie did train him to use a newspaper when it was raining or to cold for him to go out and I put a small fake tree next to where his paper was and he would pee on the small fake tree and Margie would wash the tree. That part went away when Margie passed and the real master of the domain took over and he went out when he needed to go and if it was raining we used a big umbrella and when it was cold he went out did business and came right back in and laid on his heated bed. So now with all of that said!!!! You called him a Chupacabra but I still say he was an ugly spoiled rotten dog..........:clap:

Edited by bersaguy

Good morning! Had to weight in. We have three dogs and three cats. All our animals are considered senior now. All the cats are rescues and two of our dogs are, both seniors. We adopted our Choc. Lab almost three years ago and we estimate she is around 11 or so. Sweetest dog ever! Licks too much though. We got her from Young Williams. She had not been there long. We recently (July) adopted a 6 year old American Pit Bull Terrier from a Pit Bull rescue. He came out of Memphis. They got him last December. He was on a 50lb chain and weighed in at 43 lbs. Glad I wasn't the one that actually rescued him, because some one would have been put on the hospital. When we got him, he weighted in at 93lbs. We named him Casanova (actually call him Biggun) because of his disposition. He is a big couch potato, but does love to go outside and run and walk. You are his best friend of you are on one of the couches in our living room. He thinks he is a lap dog!

Don't be scared to adopt one of the Bully Breeds. They can make great pets. If you go through a rescue, they will fully vet the animal. In our case, we had to have one that was dog and cat friendly.

Pictured are Biggun and Ursa, our senior Choc. Lab. Biggun camping with us several weeks ago. Biggun pretending to be a lapdog. And Max, our senior Llasa Op Su (11). All three are lazy as can be.969f4c11017bf0d4aeeb38121893973b.jpg495c491706c70ef37c6f694cc25f158c.jpg26d66508c1b2acd3fa449cd19feba817.jpg15bb0238203a8adf03bed88c2b7f7992.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so here is another dog I have researched and my vet has reasearched also and she says that Marilyn might be what  am looking for. A little smaller than Kasey but would probably fit into my life style. "What say ye all"?

Hi, I'm Marilyn. My fosters think I'm a terrier/cattle dog mix around 7-8 years old. I'm super sweet and love sitting pretty to get treats. If you're interested in giving me a forever home, contact act freedom farm at info@freedomfarm.net to ask about me today!
Adult, Female, Small

Marylyn.jpg

3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Ok so here is another dog I have researched and my vet has reasearched also and she says that Marilyn might be what  am looking for. A little smaller than Kasey but would probably fit into my life style. "What say ye all"?

Hi, I'm Marilyn. My fosters think I'm a terrier/cattle dog mix around 7-8 years old. I'm super sweet and love sitting pretty to get treats. If you're interested in giving me a forever home, contact act freedom farm at info@freedomfarm.net to ask about me today!
Adult, Female, Small

Marylyn.jpg

She'll keep you busy.  Terriers and cattle dogs are smart and high energy. They can be destructive if they get bored.  Being treat motivated should help make it easier to train her. 

Bersa, I am really sorry for your loss of Kasey. That is really tough when you've been pals for forever and then you lose them. I know I haven't been on at all lately but Monkey said he read about it. I just want you to know that I am really sorry and if you are still looking I have a few fosters that I have picked up that are still fosters because I cannot find a good home (in my opinion) for them. But I know how you pampered Kasey and if you are interested I would be more then happy to send you pictures. They are all fully vetted and neutered/spayed and I will waive my normal adoption fees because I know you would take great care of any companion you get. I have small and large mutts and I have boys and girls. I have semi active to loafs or road buddies who will go anywhere with you.

My most recent one is named Harry and he needs a companion for himself. He does good with other dogs but he needs a human of his own and with 10 in the house right now, I know he isn't getting the 1 on 1 time that he needs. He would need a bit of training but that's nothing a patient person and treats couldn't handle. He is skinnier than a bean pole and won't gain weight to save his life. He's 80% legs and 100% snuggler. He curls right up on my lap and sleeps but loves to play ball when you give it to him. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. I will be more then happy to partner you with one of my "fosters", and if mine aren't a good fit, my neighbor across the road also has a wife who does road rescues as well. They have about 20 right now. LOL Feel free to send me a message if you are interested and still looking! 

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 4

I have three right now, all of which are rescue.  My West Highland Terrier was surrendered as a 8 week puppy at the local shelter. She is 15 now.  My Boxer was about 4 years old when we found him chained to a tree living in a dirt circle.  He found a much better life when he joined our family and is now 13 years old and doesn't get around very well.  He enjoys his bed by my chair.  My youngest is a Boston Terrier we found abandoned and running the road half starved, flea and tick infested and afraid of his own shadow.  He is about 3 years old now and owns our hearts and allows us to live here.  I have had boxers all my life and they are great companions but until 4-5 years old they are very energetic and require lots of play.  They tend to be more reserved as youngsters if raised in a reserved household, but like kids, they just can't help themselves sometimes. I have seen some Boston's that are high strung but mine is the perfect companion and not high strung at all.  He rarely barks unless there is a good reason and extremely lovable.  He loves to play with his toys but just chills most of the time either in one of our laps or curled up with the Boxer.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

She looks and sounds like a keeper :up:. I don't know how people who foster do it, I'd be too attached within a week to let a sweet dog go.

I was a dog rescurer long before dog resues existed. We lived on a country road about 5 miles inside the cook county/ Will county line and folks would come out of Chicago and just drop dogs off and I guess I was some kind of magnet  cause they would seem to always find my house or follow me home while I was riding my bike. At the age of 6 I think I had about 6 dogs of all kinds and my dad would help with food when he could but my parents where raising 4 bottomless food pits. Me and 3 older brothers so I would do odd jobs for neighbors or work for a farmer down the road to by dog food and I would find homes for a couple and soon as they were gone it's like 2 or 3 more would show up. I kept doing that until we moved south in 1967 and when we moved I knew we were going to be living on my grandfathers Ranch/Farm so when we came south I brought 7 dogs with me that I had when we moved south and they had 2000 acres of land to run and romp on there was always plenty of food for all of them then. My grand father bought dog food 500 lbs at a time to feed his stock dogs that he worked cattle with. He had 8 of them and I loved watching them work the cattle and listen to the commands he would give the dogs and watch the dogs react. We could go to a pasture with 2 or 3 of the dogs and he would say fetch the cows and the dogs would go and in about 15 to 30 minutes depending on how many cows were in that pasture they would bring all of them to where he was so he could count them. If there was not the right amount he would send them back out and sure nuff they would bring the missing ones back to the gate. He made fun of my mutts and said they were a waste of food and start laughing.

• Like 1

Well, I sent an inquiry into Marilyn to the Freedom Farm email address listed on the site. Got a replay back yesterday telling me that they could not find any records about Marilyn in their files yet my Vet called them on Monday and spoke with a lady about her and she said yes, she was familiar with Marilyn and told the Vet everything she knew about her. Ashlee sent me an email to that effect but now they can't find her. I guess that can happen when all you have is an office and not an actual kennel and depend on Foster homes strictly to care for the animals. I sent the person all of the information including everything my Vet sent me but have not heard back yet but then it is a holiday weekend so can't expect much till probably Monday......:doh:

We monitor my Russell-terrier mix's weight, 22-25 lbs.

Years ago she started drawing up her rear leg while on walks, either or, a few un-interrupted steps, back to normal.

Frequency increases, off to the Vet. Discovered terrier breeds with straighter rear legs have shallow patellar grooves and the knee cap can slide in and out.

If no pain, don't spend the $800-$1200.

Next trip to the store found dog treats with glucosamine chondroitin. 2 - 3 day as part of treat regimen, 10 years later, we  can just now hear her joints starting to pop from time to time.

15ish years old, rescued from an abusive home.

• Like 1