Experience with Comcast Knoxville?

I need to cancel my U-Verse service because of how infuriating it is. Tonight's 45 minute phone call was the straw that broke this camel's back. I have been a AT&T customer for 20+ years but it is no longer worth it. Even if they offered me free lifetime service I would refuse because my copay for the stroke I will have will cost way more that its worth.

Is it reliable?

Does it require weekly calls into tech support?

Do the tech support speak broken, unintelligible English?

53 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Is it reliable?

Pretty much.

Does it require weekly calls into tech support?

Except for brief outages that affect everyone, I've only had to have two actual service calls in 20 years, and those were due to living in apt complex where things got gltichy at the junction boxes.

Never had a config prob of my own, only have their modem and my own router though, not any of the X1 or whatever it is now stuff.

Do the tech support speak broken, unintelligible English?

After five and on weekends yeah, as you get routed to contractors in Tierra Del Fuego or wherever. Generally get an English Mercun during regular hours.

Downside is I'm up to almost 3 bills/month for internet/cable (and phone which I don't use), two digital boxes, two adapters, have max digital lineup plus SHO, HBO, MAX,STARZ. Plus some sports stuff that like the phone I didn't care about but was cheaper "bundle" at the time.

Gotta call in and see what kinda deal I can get to start over a bit. If retention won't cut me some significant slack, I'll whack it down to the min and wait for the offers to come in after that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

I have it for internet only at my office and at home.

Have had zero issues for work, and they just recently upgraded their cable system around my office and increased our speed substantially at no extra cost.

For home have had no major issues. One time I called and spoke to someone in the US actually and he helped troubleshoot a problem that was my router. Actually walked me through two different resets trying to help. Ended up buying a new router.

When the high winds took down all the trees and power poles from Lenoir City through Farragut we were down for almost 48 hours but I received numerous updates from them and received a call about ten minutes after repairs were completed. They credited my account for two days of service interruptions.

I was recently looking at relocating my office and the only option for internet was Comcast at a location I was considering. That played a big part in my decision not take that location. Have spoke to very few people that are happy with Comcast.

I've been meaning to look into their TV service as dish has become too expensive for what we get.

49 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Don't know if it's available in your area but we use Charter and have had great service.

Same here. Had numerous visits to my house from at&t including engineers to get my internet service hooked up. Long story short, after months without internet and almost a full work week lost making appointments spread out over same months, their engineer told me ALL of their techs were using an old hook up box and the good one was on the back and a guy would be out the follwowing day for the hook up. Next day comes and the tech calls me at work saying he can’t do his outside hook up (inside was DONE by the engineer) unless I️ come home from work. I️ told him to pack his stuff and leave. 

Called charter a few days later and they were out the next day, let me pick a two hour window of time and their tech had me setup in less than an hour. 

Theyre expensive, but I’ve never had to use an automated system and have always had an English speaker answer the line. The service is so far above at&t they also couldn’t tempt me with free service at this point. 

• Like 1

Here’s my opinion on Comcast… for what it’s worth.

I see people complaining about speeds and outages. I don’t have those problems. Mine is rock solid.

Cost: Comcast is the highest there is. Thank you government intervention in the cable industry. But they offer more than any of their competition.

If you get it now you will probably get X1. Ask if that is what they are quoting you. With X1 most of the hardware problems you can handle from the box. (Troubleshooting and fixes in the menu; resets, etc.) I had to call them once; they fixed the problem with remote access.

I haven’t had Comcast to my house in years. They have self-install kits and I have gone that route. I had some issues with the X1 install; but they quickly fixed them remotely.

Anytime I have called I have talked with people in the states. I had one incident over them billing me $20 more than we agreed to. I had the CS person escalate the call to a supervisor. He was a real azzhat and when I asked to speak to his supervisor he said “I am as high as you will be going.” I got it taken care of, but it took an email to the CS staff.

My experience with them is the same as with many companies; you will get people that are on the ball, fix the problem, and help in any way they can, and you may get a person that you wonder how they find their way to work in the morning.

As soon as your contract period is up you will get a whopping big azz bill; you have to call them and renegotiate. As a new customer you should be able to get a pretty good deal. Comcast (like many companies) cares more about getting new business than taking care of the people that have stuck with them for years.

It just all depends on what you want. I watch a lot of TV and I want to watch it when it is convenient for me. I also want fast internet and Wi-Fi without interruptions. I pay the higher price because Comcast gives me that.

I would say check it out for a trial period. I doubt you will find anyone that has more features and speed than Comcast. I also doubt you can find anyone that charges more.

Had comcast for a year or two, service was fine, then they jacked the rates, we switched to U-Verse. When they jack the rates, will switch to someone else.

Have reached the conclusion internet access is a utility, and frankly, I'm still glad there is competition. One day the Goobermint will declare 10-gig internet a basic human right, and it will be socialized like the electric grid, and you'll pay twice as much for even poorer service.

Well with my limited income I have to watch every dime I spend. I have Comcast Cable with 1 step up from beginner package, I think it's the beginner HD digital package and when I first got it my bill was 59 & change. Then in February it went to 99.00 and I called them up and they said I was on a promotion price package and it expired so I told them to connect me with a supervisor that spoke english which of course I did not get but got one that understood it when I told her that is they did not drop my bill back to where it was I was cutting my cable. She ask me to hold on and all at once I was speaking to someone in Michigan that spoke really good english. I explained my delima and she said she would be making adjustments accordingly and she could not bring my bill back to 59 bucks but could get it to 65 & change for same service and I took it.  She told me tha Comcast has price increases every February across the board and gave me her number in Michigan and told me to call her when I got an increase. I think that was like 5 years ago and each year I call her and so far my bill for this past year is $76.98 so she has been keeping my increases to a minmum each year to keep my business and keep my package the same. My internet is an AT&T Broad band package. Not a super high speed program but I am not in that big a hurry I can't wait about 7 seconds to get connected. I get 5 GB per month for 50 bucks and I have never used 5 GB yet. I do try to push close because it does not roll over. My phone it a Cricket/AT&T and costs me 25.00 a month and I have been with then since 1995.

55 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

My internet is an AT&T Broad band package. Not a super high speed program but I am not in that big a hurry I can't wait about 7 seconds to get connected. I get 5 GB per month for 50 bucks and I have never used 5 GB yet. I do try to push close because it does not roll over. 

Did you tell your Comcast lady that? I would guess Xfinity could add 100 Mbps internet to your TV package for about half that. It has a TB monthly limit; not like you or any of the rest of us would hit that.

9 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Did you tell your Comcast lady that? I would guess Xfinity could add 100 Mbps internet to your TV package for about half that. It has a TB monthly limit; not like you or any of the rest of us would hit that.

I don't have Comcast Internet. I have AT&T go phone broadband service and I really don't want anything else Comcast offers because it would surely become a mess as they use every excuse possible to keep your bill messed up so I figure the simpler the better with them people. I find it's a lot easier knowing what my broad band is the same every month and my phone bill is the same every month and much easier to budget when you know what your bill is every month. With Comcast you never know what your bill will be from month to month without a fight..........JMHO