Kimber found in bag in river

Ronald_55

Saw a YouTube vid today of a kid finding a sling bag in the river he was hunting through. These guys float down picking up stuff and GoPro it all. The bag had a Kimber Pro Carry II in it plus an extra mag. So he called the police. They say not reported stolen or lost and take it. Then tell him if not claimed by the owner in 30 days it will be destroyed. 

So what do you guys think? Should he have just kept it since it did not look like a dumped gun? Or should the police said keep it since no reports filed on it?

I figure that Kimber will be "destroyed" right into an officer's safe.

https://youtu.be/qs9uqGPco8w

Edited by Ronald_55
Added link
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I wonder if they reported the other treasures they found.

I’d take the GoPro over a Kimber any day...the internet says they suck.  :lol:

Even in that condition the Kimber is worth a good bit more. Plus in my case when it enters my safe, it never changes ownership. Oh and I never film anything. Too much evidence for my taste. 

I made my spending money as a kid picking up cans, change , and lost items. If it did not have a name or a way to return it, then it was mine. I found wallets, knives, hatchets, and tons of other stuff that made into my "kit" or got traded off. I wish I had time to do this kind if hunting now.

I bet it's someone's carry bag that was stolen out of their car and when the thief saw what was in it they found a place to dump the entire bag.     I have a bag that's almost like that that's filled with all kinds of goodies that I keep in my truck.   I do keep a couple of magazines in it but never the gun that goes with it.    The idea was to have a bag in the truck mostly for the winter incase I got stuck for hours in the snow when I had to commute from Chattanooga to Nashville or Chattanooga to Atlanta.

I wouldn’t keep it. The owner deserves to get his gun back and most states have laws against possession of a stolen firearm; in some states it’s a felony.

I didn’t listen to the whole video, but I heard the Officer tell him he didn’t know how the “lost property” thing worked and gave him a report number to follow-up.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I wouldn’t keep it. The owner deserves to get his gun back and most states have laws against possession of a stolen firearm; in some states it’s a felony.

I didn’t listen to the whole video, but I heard the Officer tell him he didn’t know how the “lost property” thing worked and gave him a report number to follow-up.

I don't know if I would completely believe that the LEO didn't know how that works and I would be willing to bet it does not get destroyed in 30 days. If I was the guy that found it and did not want to keep it and could not find original owner I would wait till police had another gun buy back program and just turn it in and get what ever they are giving for guns. Might as well get something for finding it..........JMHO

I believe that if no one came forward and it had no reports filed on it, then the finder gets it back. There is no reason to destroy a legal gun. If it was some sawed off 2 inch shotgun or something I could see it. Worst thing would be maybe have to do a background check before taking possession back. 

Hard for me to believe that a thief just tossed that all at once. Seems like nothing was out of it. I bet it hot lost off a boat or tube. 

I turned in a diamond engagement ring that I found on a school playground one time. Got a receipt from the police. Called on them 90 days later and asked if it had been claimed. They said no. So I asked for it back and they said NO! The ring was now property of the city and would be sold at auction and the money put in the general fund.

Not like I was taught in school, turn it in and if nobody claims it, it's yours. BS!

Never turn anything in! I never will again!

If I can find the owner, he gets it back. But will never trust the police with found property again.

• Like 1