Charging Handles...how much to pay.

Just a question tonight for those more educated than me on this subject.

When it comes to charging handles, do you go with the big name guys with the big price tags? Or do you go with the 20+/- models?

Thinking of trying my had at a couple of builds, and would like some advice.

Thanks.

Speaking for me, I go for the 20ish ones because I get a standard handle, not any of the fancy ones with extended latches and such.  I've tried some extended latch types and they don't do anything for me, and I'm not much for logos...at least at full price.  Just make sure their made from the harder aluminum, 7075, and that the brand doesn't have bad reviews. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Omega said:

Speaking for me, I go for the 20ish ones because I get a standard handle, not any of the fancy ones with extended latches and such.  I've tried some extended latch types and they don't do anything for me, and I'm not much for logos...at least at full price.  Just make sure their made from the harder aluminum, 7075, and that the brand doesn't have bad reviews. 

That's what I'd hoped to hear. When looking at different brands, I've had to question the pricing of them. I have noticed that the 7075 seemed to be the material used in the big name brands, but the further I looked, it appeared to be the same with some of the lower priced models.

I do hate to put 60-100 bucks into a charging handle just for the name if that's all I'm getting for the extra cost.

Granted, I do have a couple of BCM Gunfighters on rifles I bought already build, and they seem really nice. But couldn't understand the rationale behind the pricing.

Even if you decide you need an extended latch later, they have those as accessories as well and you will still be under what a big name standard one goes for.  And many also try and sell the ambidextrous notion, which I don't understand...you put one finger on each side of the handle, no matter what hand you use it will engage the latch.  I'm a righty but shoot rifles left handed, never had an issue charging my weapons, and they're all right handed models, even my bolt actions.  Guns I shoot right handed so never had the need, except for training, to use any of the ambidextrous features so ones with or without them are ok by me, nothing ever gets in the way.  But those extended latches have gotten in the way before, but it wasn't one of the fancy ones, it was an accessory which I quickly discarded, now they are all standard.

I'll pay the $40 for a BCM to have the extended latch, much easier to operate with a scope installed.

If you buy a $20 CH and then decide you want the extended latch, that's another $10 or so by itself, so quickly close in on the BCM up front cost. And there is a roll pin to remove / install to replace the latch and the less of those I mess with, the better.

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Me too. I saw this ad earlier today, but I guess I have in the back of my mind that I want another(or 2) BCM Mod 4s. I have a Gunfighter on a carbine and really like it.

Does it do a better job than any other...I can't say. But I do like the feel more so than a standard c/h. Just me.

But since I'm trying to be thrifty...I don't know which way I'll go yet.

I'll continue to watch the year end sales and see what shows up.

4 minutes ago, hipower said:

Me too. I saw this ad earlier today, but I guess I have in the back of my mind that I want another(or 2) BCM Mod 4s. I have a Gunfighter on a carbine and really like it.

Does it do a better job than any other...I can't say. But I do like the feel more so than a standard c/h. Just me.

But since I'm trying to be thrifty...I don't know which way I'll go yet.

I'll continue to watch the year end sales and see what shows up.

Well, in that case go with the BCM.  After all it should be about what you like, and if you can find a deal too...icing.

27 minutes ago, Omega said:

Well, in that case go with the BCM.  After all it should be about what you like, and if you can find a deal too...icing.

Am I that transparent? lol Probably right. I've seen a few higher and lower that interest me, the old Raptor; now Radian(or something like that); but I know just enough about names and parts to be dangerous. And not on the good side of that.

• 1 month later...

I'm spoiled on the Raptor. Being a lefty, it's soooo easy to handblade them. They're not cheap at 80-90 bucks but to me, worth every penny. 

Your results may vary. Mine are labeled as AXTS but there's no difference at all.

Radian does offer a lightweight one now with polymer ears instead of the pretty aluminum on the more expensive model though!

There's some Chinese knockoff's floating around for 20 bucks if you wanna see if you like the design before you sheer a roll pin or something after a few charges :dirty:

Edited by DevJames
On 1/17/2018 at 1:33 AM, Danger Rane said:

I've got Raptors on a couple of mine and I love them. Watch Rainier Arms long enough and they have sales on them a couple times a year. I think I paid $60 for one and $75 for the other. I'm a lefty and I run my scopes kinda low. 

^^^What he said^^^

As much as I debated getting the Raptor ambidextrous, I'd get another if I had an AR that would benefit from it.  I think they're great for defensive rifles, though I'll admit the price to usefulness comparison drops for target shooting rifles.

Edited by btq96r