Training dog collars

bersaguy

Has anyone here ever used 1 of those training collars while working with their partner. My Vet has mentioned it tonight if he totally refuses to listen to any verbal commands. If Obie Wan could talk he would be giving the commands!!!! I want you to know the road I live on in rush house is bumper to bumper and that little firecracker threw himself against the storm door and it opened and he took off right at 5 PM and traffic bumper to bumper and he was headed right towards the road and would not stop wwhen I called but turned just before getting to it and began running across several yards. There was about 4 young men that parked in driveways and help me catch him by cornering him near a fence about 8 doors down from my place. I grabbed a flashlight and leash on the way out the door. Once I got him on a leash I thanked each one of the young men for their help and they all said no problem and one said Merry Christmas and I returned it to him and they got in their car and pick ups and continued on their way. I had to sit on a bench in a neighbors front yard for about 15 minutes trying to get my breath.

So that was an adventure I don't want to go through twice and my vet said that the training collars are effective and if he had one on I could just push the remote and it would cause him to stop and follow comands he has been taught after I push the button. I told her I thought they were like shock collars and mean to animals and she said those went away years ago and the new ones don't shock the animal at all.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with some of the newer ones. I don't want anything that would hurt him at all.................:confused:

I've used two different shock collars. Both were adjustable. I held it in my hand and adjusted the shock until it was uncomfortable and then never used a higher setting on the dog than on myself.  It's a little like a static electricity shock. These collars also have a beep mode. My dog, a Border Collie, learned to respond to only the beep mode. I'd tell him "No. or Come" and if he didn't respond, I'd repeat the command and beep him. If he still didn't respond, I'd repeat the command again and if he didn't respond immediately, I'd give him a shock.  From then on, I'd never have to shock him again. A command followed by a beep was all it took.

I have two brands. I bought one on eBay for $40 that came with two collars. One broke after 6 months, but the second one is still working fine. I'll see if I can find the auction for you.

Here's the PetTrainer collar I bought on eBay. I'd say the range was almost 100 yards, but it would be less if it wasn't charged. It has a beep mode, a vibrate mode, a shock mode, and a flashing LED mode. The vibrate and shock modes are adjustable from 1 to 100. It took about a 40 or so to get an uncomfortable zap on my hand. I never leave the collar on the dog when he isn't being walked. It's not safe to leave it on the dog all the time. Once again, I tested it on my hand. It takes a setting of about 40 before the zap starts to get uncomfortable. I couldn't even feel the lower settings. As I said, one of the collars quit working after a few months, but I only needed one anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Collar-2-Large-Small-Dogs-Gear-Remote-Training-Pet-Trainer-Waterproof-New/112351388937?epid=549592078&hash=item1a28aa2509:g:ffsAAOSwax5Y20k8

The other shock collar we own is a $150 Sport Dog training collar that we got at Tractor Supply, I think. It works equally well. The battery went out after a few months and I had to buy a $20 replacement battery for the collar.

Wait! Here is the same PetTrainer collar for $46.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Petrainer-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Electric-Remote-Dog-Training-Collar-For-2-Dogs/321814756316?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170810094027%26meid%3D62a2db04985d4ee9b22c3c0daafc16a9%26pid%3D100855%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2349526.c100855.m4779

Edited by jgradyc
  • Admin Team

I used one with my black lab.

It had to modes. And adjustable shock mode and a baby mode. I used it in shock mode exactly once on each of us. I wanted to get a feel for the different levels, and I used it with her when she was young learning to heel off leash. She was a smart enough dog that she figured out what I wanted very quickly.

But, I used it with her in the field for years on beep mode.  I trained her on beeps to follow commands when she was out of earshot from me. Like anything, you have to put in the time, but it worked great and I would use it again.

Mine was a Sport Dog version, too. Seems like the batteries wouldn’t last more than about a year, but they’re pretty cheap.

You’ve got a dog thinks it’s the boss, and you’re gonna have to get that squared away soon or you likely won’t get another chance.  You’ve got the focus, and the patience, and the time though, so I expect it won’t  be a problem  

Use to train retrievers for field trials for over 20 years, plus helped others do the same.  Also friends with problem pets sought my help with some isolated problems.  Long story short, electronic collars are a super training tool.  First one has to teach the dog what you want and reinforce it with the collar.  If you get the 'Thor' syndrome it can be harmful to the dog.  Remember this, a little shock is nothing compared to getting crushed by a car.

I've not used a training collar but a good friend did and had similar success to everyone else. 

We did use a shock collar to work with a "bury the wire" type invisible fence and that worked pretty well too.  

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You’ve got a dog thinks it’s the boss, and you’re gonna have to get that squared away soon or he likely won’t get another chance.  You’ve got the focus, and the patients, and the time though, so I expect it will to be a problem

Yep. Hang in there.  The first couple weeks is rough with any new dog. 

• Admin Team
3 hours ago, peejman said:

I've not used a training collar but a good friend did and had similar success to everyone else. 

We did use a shock collar to work with a "bury the wire" type invisible fence and that worked pretty well too.  

Yep. Hang in there.  The first couple weeks is rough with any new dog. 

Man, Siri is good for some things, but apparently transcription isn’t one of them. I read those sentences and thought, “who wrote that?”

Then I remembered that I dictated it while I was out walking last night and it made more sense.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Man, Siri is good for some things, but apparently transcription isn’t one of them. I read those sentences and thought, “who wrote that?”

Then I remembered that I dictated it while I was out walking last night and it made more sense.

Autocorrect strikes again.  I knew what you meant. :D