hope ya'll understand!!!

bersaguy

I hope ya'll undertand my decision but Obie Wan went back to the Rescue Center this morning. My nerves have been destroyed ever since the ordeal with him getting out last night.

Maybe I am to old to have another mutt as bad as I want one it is causing me to make bad decisions.

The lady at the Rescue Center was more than glad to take him back but she informed me that she could not refund my $100.00 and I told her I understood that. It was my stupid decision to take him so I deserve the consequences of my actions. She told me that she had a young couple with 2 boys that showed up about 3 hours after I got him the other day wanting him so she is going to call them and ask if they have not found another dog that he is back and explain to them why. I think with a fenced yard and kids he will do fine.

Hope ya'll don't think bad of me for returning him!!! Not sure if I will continue to persue another mutt or not at this point.

Sorry to hear he wasn't a good fit. I understand having a dog that follows his nose get out and the stress it creates. My beagle kept getting out of my fenced in yard and I got to the point I gave rewards when someone called me when they found him. Even when they turned them down. 

He would follow his nose and not come home. I had a heck of a time searching for the little guy.

finally one day, I saw him run and jump into the chain link fence and proceed to climb it. A 5' fence! 

I did manage to keep him from a puppy till old age but I was younger then too. 

Dont give up Bersa, there is a guy or girl out there that will be a good fit!

Edited by Ugly
1 hour ago, Ugly said:

Sorry to hear he wasn't a good fit. I understand having a dog that follows his nose get out and the stress it creates. My beagle kept getting out of my fenced in yard and I got to the point I gave rewards when someone called me when they found him. Even when they turned them down. 

He would follow his nose and not come home. I had a heck of a time searching for the little guy.

finally one day, I saw him run and jump into the chain link fence and proceed to climb it. A 5' fence! 

I did manage to keep him from a puppy till old age but I was younger then too. 

Dont give up Bersa, there is a guy or girl out there that will be a good fit!

I don't know buddy, I may be to old to try and take on another dog as much as I want one. I might be fooling myself into believing I can find one. I did have a lady call me today that has a dog I was interested in when I first decided to think about getting another one. Might should have followed that one up but she said she is still up for adoption and she fears people don't want to adopt her because she is already about 8 years old.  Her name is Marilyn. She came out of Nashville Humane Society and was transfered to Freedom Farms in hopes she would have better luck getting adopted. My Vet has contacted them about her and they said she is very healthy but her age is against her.

Marilyn.jpg

Edited by bersaguy
  • Moderators

Doug,

I respect you more for recognizing this was not going to work. As stated it has to be a fit for both. Keep looking. The right, easy going, lazy, ride loving dog is out there just waiting for you. Don't give up! It's OK to bring one home for a few days before committing.

Us dog lovers want to save them all and that means they all pull our heart strings.

18 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

If I were you, I would pay Marilyn a visit to see if you're acceptable to her :whistle:  If she was closer, you might have to stand in line behind me.

Well, let me tell ya'll about a phone call I just got. I was referred to this dog rescue by my Vet and she had the lady call me. They are only located about 8 miles from my home and she has about 40 dogs mostly females all sizes and breeds that have been Vetted, spay/neutered, Microchipped and because I am a senior Citizen I have options. I am allowed to bring any dog I choose home for a test run and can keep the dog up to 1 month to make sure we match up. Also there is Zero adoption Fee. If the dog and I do not click I can bring it back and select another until we find what works. Now It will be about an hour before I go up there so wish me luck.

• Like 10

If your energy levels don't match then better to let Obi go to a family that can match his energy.  I think that was a pretty clear-headed and responsible thing to do.

Honestly, it sounds to me as if you may have a rare opportunity.  I know that many people want young dogs and puppies and I understand why.  At the same time, there are surely lots of older dogs - perhaps like Marilyn - who may be wonderful, loving dogs but who might have trouble getting adopted because, again, many people want young dogs and puppies.  You might be in a position to adopt and love such an older dog while reaping the benefits of a companion who is already settled down and ready to take things a bit easier. 

Of course, for practicalities sake, I can understand that you or anyone else would be hesitant to take on a dog that is potentially only going to be around for a few years - especially when that could mean rather quickly increasing medical expenses, not to mention possibly setting oneself up to lose another companion so relatively soon.  At the same time, your Kasey lived to be sixteen, if I recall correctly.  Given good, overall health and so on that means even a dog that is already six or even eight years old (like Marilyn) could potentially be with you for another decade or close to it.

On the other hand, if you do decide you want a puppy perhaps your best fit at this stage would be more of a 'lap dog' type breed of a type that doesn't really want to be out of your sight.  Just something else to consider.  Whatever you decide - puppy, adult dog or no dog, at all I think you have your head on straight about the whole thing and what you can handle.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well, let me tell ya'll about a phone call I just got. I was referred to this dog rescue by my Vet and she had the lady call me. They are only located about 8 miles from my home and she has about 40 dogs mostly females all sizes and breeds that have been Vetted, spay/neutered, Microchipped and because I am a senior Citizen I have options. I am allowed to bring any dog I choose home for a test run and can keep the dog up to 1 month to make sure we match up. Also there is Zero adoption Fee. If the dog and I do not click I can bring it back and select another until we find what works. Now It will be about an hour before I go up there so wish me luck.

Awesome!  Good luck!  Just from the way you talked about Kasey and your relationship with her I think whatever dog you end up with will be one lucky mutt!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I'm not !!

Ok so let me introduce ya'll to Darby. She is 4 years old mix of who know what? Only GOD knows is my guess. She has a history behind her but right now just an introduction. The first picture was right after she ate her supper I fed her soon as we got home. Then I made my supper and 

"WE " ate it. Yea she loves pork chops too and th second picture was after we ate and went for a walk aroud the yard and she came in and that is where she wound up in second picture.

A10OHpo.jpg

ZbteJuS.jpg

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Hello Darby. Welcome to TGO. Very nice looking, hopefully calmer, dog. Can't wait to see how this visit goes.

Very much calmer and very laid back. We are getting ready for bed so this will be another test but she just made another hurdle as she went to the door and then back to me and to the door again so I asked her if she needed to go out and she went to the door and waited till I put her on the cable. She went out for about 10 minutes and came back to the door and scratched to come in and is now laying asleep on her bed. That would indicate that she is pretty much house trained......:cheers:

• Like 5

I hope you and Darby are a good match.  Between the pictures and what you posted it appears and sounds like Darby is feeling comfortable and secure in your home.  That is a good start.  I'm sure pork chops didn't hurt.  When I met my wife she gave me pork chops and that was over 32 years ago and I'm still here.  Don't feel bad about the first effort, if it wasn't right for you, chances are it wasn't going to be right for Obie Wan either.  A "Compa"nion has to be "Compa"tible.  I hope it works out for both of you.  Oh yeah,  it sure looks like Darby has some German Shepard in those veins. 

Thanks for all the confidence building folks.

Our first night was kind of uneventful. I went in the bed room like normal and turned on the TV to watch news for the weather, got my night meds out, got my needle for my Insulin from the fridge and all the time I have this small shadow not far behind. When I went to get my insulin I had a small piece of Pork Chop in it so I just took it out and gave it to Darby. I couldn't believe what she did with it!!! She ate it...........LOL Then I turned out all the lights and she was on her bed and I went to the bedroom to take meds and shot and stretch out for some weather and local news. You know that feeling you get when you feel eyes looking at you. Yep!! She snuck into the bedroom and was at the corner of my bed but never offered to jump up on it. I pretended to ignore her so she moves just a little farther out but very slowly. I finally sat up to get a drink of water from a bottle on the night stand and she acted scared and began to dart out of the room until I called her name and she stopped and I called her to me and petted her and talked to her and told her in was time to go to sleep and walked back to her bed wit her and she laid down. I went back in my room. And I turned out the small light and was reaching for the remote and caught her at the end of my bed corner again.

I went through my clsoet and dug out and old worn out blanket and put it in the floor in kind of a corner and I turned and looked at her andshe went over and laid down on it without me saying a word. I petted her a few times and turn off TV. I normally wake up a couple times a night to make the pee runs. First one was about 2 AM and Darby followed me. I went back to bed and back  to sleep with next rub about 5 AM and again she followed me and again I went back to sleep as I get up about 7:30. When I got up at 7:30 Darby was with me and when I got to the door to let her out I found she had Pee on the mat right in front of the door. Before saying anything I thought about all of what took place during the night. I got up twice and so did she. I went pee and I didn't think she might have to go and I could have let her out to go pee. So I did not scold her at all. She was standin and staring at me I guess waiting for the scolding that never came. I put the door mat outside and paper towels what little was on the floor along with some Mean Green. She watched every move I made and finally I ask her if she wanted to go out and she came to the door and I put her on the cable run and she went out.

My fault, not hers. From now on at night if she comes with me when I get up I will let her out too if I go to the door and she wants out. She showed me last night after I had already closed the big door that she needed to go out so I know she knows to alert me she needs to go. Thing is she didn't know how to wake me up and the 2 times I got up I didn't offer so like I said my BAD!!!

• Like 4