Is $399 a good deal for a new XD .45?

ThomasH

Back when they were the current model, I bought a few, used (private transaction), for $425-450 at different times. All black though. 

The newer XDM is the current model now. If you are ok with that particular gun, I think it’s a great deal. I really liked that model, but have leaned towards 1911s and Glocks for my 45s as of late.

I agree with nightrunner. They may be somewhat dated, but still good pistols. I've had 9,40, 357sig, and 45 in them at different times. All ran well with about anything I put in them. I still have the 357sig model. It's a little cannon. lol

Far as I can tell, $399 is a fine price, although if it's plus tax you might can beat it on Bud's or where ever. Or not. The .45 models were always more than the 9 and 40. I imagine that's the "basic" package with just a couple of mags.

I have three sizes of the original XDs (all in 9mm), never even tempted to "upgrade" to the M series, as they are just aces, plus had quite a few mags and the full sized ones aren't interchangeable with the M series.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Gotta disagree, the original XDs are great daily carry weapons.  Like Oh Shoot, never saw a reason to upgrade to the M series.  I did get a newer XD with the gripzone and my only complaint is they advertise it on the gun.  That's a decent price but as said above, you add tax and TICs and it might be found cheaper elsewhere new.

23 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Far as I can tell, $399 is a fine price, although if it's plus tax you might can beat it on Bud's or where ever. Or not. The .45 models were always more than the 9 and 40. I imagine that's the "basic" package with just a couple of mags.

I have three sizes of the original XDs (all in 9mm), never even tempted to "upgrade" to the M series, as they are just aces, plus had quite a few mags and the full sized ones aren't interchangeable with the M series.

- OS

Ok what's the difference between the XD and the XD-M? Is it just the sights?

17 hours ago, ThomasH said:

Ok what's the difference between the XD and the XD-M? Is it just the sights?

Read up, lots of little things. Capacity, multiple backstraps, grip texture, cocking serrations, different barrel lengths, "match grade" barrels, no trigger pull for takedown, picatinny rail extra slots, etc etc.

The higher capacity doesn't apply to the .45 model though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
30 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Read up, lots of little things. Capacity, multiple backstraps, grip texture, cocking serrations, different barrel lengths, "match grade" barrels, no trigger pull for takedown, picatinny rail extra slots, etc etc.

The higher capacity doesn't apply to the .45 model though.

- OS

The 9mm and 40 models are built on the old 45 frame size. That’s how they get the extra capacity. I loved my XD45 so I got the XDM9 because of it being the same sized frame (I have large hands). Fit me so much better than the XD9s. It was a significant difference for me.

I'm a big fan of the XD's in .45. I've got a tactical and service model and both are accurate. The grip is better than a glock 21 inmo and trigger is better than any glock ever produced. 

I would buy one for 399. 

Good gun , but the weird thing about them are that the grip safety must be engaged to retract the slide back. I noticed this when I had my XD9 . I was cleaning it and went to take it apart and had to grip the gun to take the slide off. It would not slide rearward without having the grip safety pushed inwards. I guess I'm spoiled by Glocks. The darn grip safety gets in my way of shooting it AND disassembling it. IF that thing was gone , I'd get another.

Edited by tercel89