Sign in to follow this  
Erik88

for-sale 2002 Toyota Corolla

We've decided to part ways with our hail damaged Corolla, aka "Hailey". My wife bought this vehicle in 2009 with around 80K miles. It's been one of our daily commuters ever since. I still drive her daily and she currently has 196K miles. No fancy features. You have to roll the windows up the old fashioned way.

The Good

• Extremely reliable. She's never failed to start or left me stranded. We drove it to Myrtle Beach and back in August. 
  • I average around 30 MPG
  • I am pretty anal about maintenance. See the pics for the maintenance log I started in 2014.
  • Everything works, even the air.
  • Many people have reported 300k+ miles on these engines with very little problems.  Much like most Toyotas, this car has been cheap to own.
  • Mechanically, minus the issue below, I believe this is a solid vehicle. 
  • Tires in great shape. They have around 15K on them and I believe they are a 60K mile Cooper.

The Bad

• The check engine light is on. The code reads catalytic converter. I've had it inspected at least 3 times over the years and each place has told me essentially not to worry about it. I couldn't justify the expense. 
  • She burns a little oil which is a common issue with this 1.8L. I add 1 qt every 3k and Toyota recommends changing the oil every 5k. She has not gotten worse over the years though. The oil consumption has been consistent. 
  • Salvage Title due to the hail damage. 

The Ugly

• Hail damage pretty much all over. She got hit by the 2010 hail storm that rocked West Knoxville and we bought her back from State Farm. 
  • The clear coat on the hood is peeling. This started after the hail. Both bumpers also in rough shape.
  • The body has seen better days but I've done a good job of touching up rough spots and keeping the rust away. 

Overall this would make a great daily driver for someone who doesn't care about appearances and needs an inexpensive but reliable vehicle. She's not the vehicle you want to take to prom but she would get you there and back safely. I've tried to be as transparent as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

$1,700

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1