HI Point Handguns (& carbines) USA Made

PAULSHOOT

I was interested in a 380 maybe to carry, but do not like the itty bitty carry ones (they do have their advantages). Anyway, I sort of gave up on a medium size 380 to carry cauise of cost, weight, etc.. That said, there are some that would work, EX: Bersa make a Carry Model of the Bersa Thunder.  

Anyway, that search led me to Hi Point (USA Made in Ohio) for a fun target gun (It would be large and heavy to carry at 6.75 inches and 2 1/4 Lbs with 8 RD MAG loaded).  After reviewing (U-Tube - mostly positive performance) and seeing price I bought a 380 ($129.99 plus tax and background at Bud's in Sevierville, TN).  

This one had only one clip (in the gun), a Ghost (peep) sight as extra,  and a decent Plastic Hardcase (I did not realize I was getting a hard case when I made the buy as they show a gun, one with a commentator (that one comes with an extra 10 RD MAG), and one with a hardcase on web site -- prices vary on options).

Can buy accessories online (E-Bay) and at Hi Point. I bought an extra 8RD MAG at Floyd's in Sevierville for $19.99 plus tax (that is high but decided to help a local dealer who also had 380 AMMO,brass, on sale at $8.99 plus tax). Then just ordered a 10 Rd MAG from HI Point for $19.50 free ship and no tax.  

I bought the gun SAT, shot 86 rounds thru it SUN. I ahd one fail to load (nose dive) after firing the very first round (second one nose dived). Then all the rest worked GREAT (no failures). I had lubed the gun SAT Eve (parts I could as I did not disassemble cause you have to punch a pin out to take slide off). I made some adjustments to the sights (probably most of it was me anyway, but it shot a bit low, 2 inches, and right, 1 inch, at 15 foot). Eventually got the last group in a 3 inch target at 15 foot (good for me).

The gun is a bit as I call it (Clunky) at 29 OZ and 36 OZ with loaded MAG. It has some funny features (there is not a slide release button, it locks back after last round and you have to remove the MAG and jerk the slide back and release it to close it). Not a big deal, just an unusual thing. Once you load a MAG in it and pull slide back to load a round (the trigger pull has a sligh move to firm and then a decent release) - same on auto loads. 

I PRESENT all this as an opinion that it is a decent gun (reliable based on U-Tube and my limited use so far) for a VERY Reasonable Price (say around $129.99).

I also notice they have Carbines in mid $300 range in all calibers (380, 9MM, 40, 45, 10MM). I am not interested, but some might be. 

GO TO THEIR WEB SITE.  

My first two Groups (Adj sights a bit between 1st and 2nd group).  

I wanted to post the last group all but one in black of a 3 inch target at 15 foot (one was just out of the black). Like I said, I am not a competition marksman, but did good for me after adjusting rear sight Up and to Left. This site would not allow the extra KBytes (over 49KB).  

DSCN8997_LI.jpg

Edited by PAULSHOOT
add note.

They do have a new 10mm Carbine coming out next year...... Might have to get one of those. I have heard they are pretty accurate and they work. Heavy, check, Ugly, yep, Clunky..... understatement. But they work! At some point in the near future I will add one to my collection just cause.

Edited by XxthejuicexX
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why get a .380 when it's the same size as the 9mm?

Cause I have a Taurus Millennium G2 9MM and wanted a 380 (simple reason).

In addition there are some self defense 380 advantages (one is less chance of collateral damage and consequences from that, also most higher calibers are harder for average shooter to be accurate) and some disadvantages (not as much stopping power, but I say adequate at close range gun fight). Have read --- A hit with a 22LR Hollow Point is better than a miss with a 45 caliber.  

I don't intend to carry the 380 at least not the Hi Point as it is heavy 2 1/4 pounds with loaded MAG and 6.75 inches long (could use it for home defense or in a vehicle or at a business).

Just thought for $129.99 would be worth a try for some target fun. 

• Like 1

Aside from being dog ugly and overly bulky the Hi-Point Arms pistol do function well, the only gripes I've heard have been occasional magazine related feed issues. That's been discussed elsewhere and may or may not require some tweaks. Of the people I've personally known who own or have owned a HPA all have said they never had an issue with them. 

I keep intending to buy one of the carbines in .45ACP but I haven't done so yet. It's good to see that your pleased with your HPA .380. 

• Like 2

I saw one of the Hi-Points on Black Friday for $86. Thought about it

I have nothing against these except the low cap.mags. My son took his first deer with a 9mm carbine. 

That said, I ended up with a 9mm AR  pistol that uses Glock mags. They cost more, but have a bunch of extra customization options. If you watch. You might get one for not a ton above the Hi-point retail price. 

Now. I can see buying multiples of the Hi-Points if you wanted to stock the car, boat, truck, cabin, or wherever with something you can just leave there.

RKGuns has the HI Point Carbine for $239 right now. I forget if it is the 45 or the 9mm. 

I'd love to have a cheap Hi Point so I could play around with cerakote with no real fear of ruining the value of the gun.  

EDITED: It's a special on their email. In store only from Dec 3-9 as long as supplies last. $237.95 in 9mm.

Edited by jgradyc
20 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

Aside from being dog ugly and overly bulky the Hi-Point Arms pistol do function well, the only gripes I've heard have been occasional magazine related feed issues. That's been discussed elsewhere and may or may not require some tweaks. Of the people I've personally known who own or have owned a HPA all have said they never had an issue with them. 

I keep intending to buy one of the carbines in .45ACP but I haven't done so yet. It's good to see that your pleased with your HPA .380. 

Good post. Thanks.

I have seen some stuff on U-Tube regarding modification of MAG (bending lips and putting bends in the spring) and polishing the ramp.

The one fail to load I had was as I said  (after firing the very first round thru the brand new gun, the second nose dived as shown and did not load). As I said before -- no further problems for next 84 rounds.  I realize 86 rounds total so far is not a point to say HOW GREAT IT IS. 

PS: I have not done any modifications to Gun or MAG after taking it out of the box. I did lube what I could without disassembly the night before I shot it as it seemed particularly dry.   

This MAG Spring Bending U - Tube seems to please a lot of it's viewers.

By the way -- some folks say they never had a problem, others say the were going to junk the gun until they did the Spring Bending per the video.

Shucks -- could not get the URL to the U-Tube Video to post on here.

Edited by PAULSHOOT
Could not get URL to show up in the reply post. ???
  • 2 weeks later...

So far so good with an extra 8 RD MAG I bought at Floyd's (local gun retailer) and then ordered a 10 RD MAG from Hi Point.  That said, I did have one fail to load with the 10 RD MAG and it came as I racked to load the first round. Sort of like 2 rounds tried to go in at same time (both came out of the MAG). Put them back in the MAG and all worked after that. 

Shot another 26 rounds thru the gun (using the original 8 RD, the new one I bought from Floyd's stamped 2013, and the new 10 RD  from Hi Point).

Floyd's was over priced at $19.99 plus tax) which I figured when buying it, but help local business out a little. The do have decent prices on AMMO frequently (like had 380 brass for $8.98 - 50 RDs plus tax).  MAGs on E Bay ad at Hi Point are better buy. EX: Paid $19 at Hi Point for the 10 RD (no tax and free shipping). 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Hi-Point Carbine. It has never failed to fire and the only thing I have cleaned is the bore. At 100 yards it's DNO. That being said, I would not carry a Hi-Point for self defense. That's just me.  Remember Bob Ross, that painter on TV with the afro hair do? He was always saying "It's your painting. Do it like you want to."  That's how I feel about firearms.  If you want a Hi_Point, you won't be happy until you get one.  

My 9mm carbine runs great as long as it is fed brass cases ammo. Anything other than brass, and it likes to jam in the first 2-3 rounds. I have 2 of the 20 round magazines. Shot indoor idpa style matches with it. Aside from the charging handle loosening and the ammo issue noted above, I was pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

My latest on the Hi Point 380 is a Key Holing Issue. Not every round, but enough to notice. I have not gotten into the posting picture procedure on this site, or I would post the last target pictures to show Key Holing.  

Anyway, I finally called Hi-Point today and talked to the TECHIE about Key-Holing issues with the gun. He said it can be an issue, but is not normally and likely need to replace the barrel.  So, suggested I ship it in. 

I then talked to another person about shipping costs. He suggested go thru a dealer (purchased the gun at BUD'S in Sevierville) and normally they only charge for shipping (he estimated $10 to $15). 

BY THE WAY -- they fix and ship back FREE and give you an extra MAG to compensate for your shipping costs. Not that I need an extra MAG (I have 2 8RD and 1 10RD),  but would of course take another MAG.  

Just wanted to say --- at this Point Hi-Point seems to stand behind their stuff. 😍

SO, NOW I NEED TO DECIDE -- mess with shipping it or not? 

Considerations: 

I do not shoot the gun much and to tell the truth wish I had not bought it. I say that not because of it being a Hi-Point or even because of this Key Holing Problem, I just didn't need a 380 to start with.

I thought I wanted a 380 cause I just wanted to shoot one (target and maybe for home defense).  I saw this reasonable priced gun ($129.99 plus tax and BG Check and MFG in USA), also saw some 380 Browning AMMo at a dealer for $8.98 (50 rounds) and decided I could afford to shoot a 380 some.

By The Way - That AMMO when restocked by dealer is now $12,98 (plus tax of course) and about the cheapest I have found 380 is $11.98 for 50 rounds plus tax.

ANYWAY, it boils down to, "Why Mess With a 380?" when you don't really intend to use except as I said (target and maybe home self defense). Might as well stick with the 9MM for all defense (some defense practice) and do most target practice with the 22 Pistols.  Well, you know a 12 Gauge at home.    

Edited by PAULSHOOT
Correct TYPO

Why not ship it back to Hi-Point and let them fix it and provide you another mag?  Seems like you really aren't out anything.  And while it's not an expensive pistol, you will still have a good gun.  If nothing else, make it your tackle box or truck gun. Afterwards, maybe gift it to some one that needs a firearm, but really can't afford one. 

• Like 2

Agree with Moped.

I'm carrying a .380 right now - I have no issues with the caliber.

Precision One and the new Sig Vcrown perfoms well in YouTube tests.

If I was heavy into .380, I'd probably get the carbine.

Great back up home defense, truck, range gun. (I think better carry options, but it'll do in a pinch)

With .380 at $12/50, it's pretty darn affordable to shoot

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I am considering shipment, BUD's local (Sevierville) said they ship back for $25. I have not checked cost if i do it myself.  

That said, not sure I care enough to pay $25 for something to shoot target (sort of a play toy with me, not something I would really use). I can still shoot it, just get some keyholes, I guess some effect on accuracy. Or, is accuracy just me? 😉 

• 2 months later...

Hi-Point 380 traded at Smoky Mtn Guns & Ammo in Sevierviile, TN for a TAURUS SPECTRUM 380.

They allowed $75 on the trade. Think I had $153 in it including tax and background check plus an extra MAG (10 round I bought -- $19 I think).  Trade included the gun, case it came with, and extra 10 round MAG. Actually, I wondered if they would even take a Hi-Point on trade.

That said, I am not knocking Hi-Point as this 380 is the only one I have owned. I think a decent low priced gun and reports are they stand behind a Lifetime Warranty. It is "what it is is what it is", a heavy, clunky looking, shoots OK, could be used for defense at home or in a vehicle, and target but it is not a competitive target gun and not a concealed carry gun.   

One thing that turned me off is this one developed a keyholing problem. Hi-Point agreed to take it back for a look (hopefully would be repaired). Cost to me would be shipping (I estimate $20 or $25). I just decided I did not need it. 

Mine was a 380, more costly AMMO than a 9MM, so more expensive for target shooting than a 9MM, the Hi-Points are too big for me to want to Carry, and I prefer a 9MM over the 380.  

THEN why trade for another 380?????? 

Mainly, TAURUS offering $35 rebate on the Spectrum 380 (two MAGS, one with pinky, 7 rds, and one not, 6 rds).  Spectrum shown at Smky Mtn Guns & AMMO for $169.99 (I did not price anywhere else). That was a temptation as final cost would be $79.66.  I was out $114.66 on the purchase (including tax, background, etc.) - $35 Rebate (gift card) will be $79,88 final.  

Just figured something new to shoot and at least the Spectrum (10 OZ empty) would be an Alternate Carry for some situations. I don't think it is considered a target gun.  LOL   

Finally, I am not so sure it is a gun I need or will like.

My opinions about 380s vary, some advantages and some disadvantage (I just think a 9mm makes more sense).

Maybe play with it some (shoot targets like in a defense practice or even see if I can aim it. And, my  Ruger SR 22 would have been the only Substitute Carry obver my 9MM. Now, I  could use the Spectrum 380  (if ever had a reason to substitute, maybe as a pocket gun). I still have 4 boxes of 380 AMMO. Anxious to shoot the Spectrum.

Anyway -- my thoughts also ran to get rid of the Hi-Point and have a different gun for a net outlay of $79.66.  I don't count the loss of the Hi-Point because as not using it. 
Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Like 1