HI Point Handguns (& carbines) USA Made

PAULSHOOT

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, felinesNfreedom said:

They do have a new 10mm Carbine coming out next year...... Might have to get one of those. I have heard they are pretty accurate and they work. Heavy, check, Ugly, yep, Clunky..... understatement. But they work! At some point in the near future I will add one to my collection just cause.

I had one of their very early 9mm pistols. Got it in a 2 gun trade for another of mine. I thought it to be the most hideous thing I'd ever seen in an autoloader, but I wanted the other pistol and that's all the seller had.

It functioned well and was pretty accurate, as far as I could tell. For some reason that I cannot recall, I had to call their CS and ask for help. I was greeted politely and told they would send a pickup order. I received it in 2 days. Sent the pistol in on a Monday morning, and got it back the following Tuesday afternoon. That's service. 

They had changed the trigger group, cleaned up the rails, and sent me a free magazine.

The pistol was flawless after that. I should have kept it. Never had that kind of service from another manufacturer.

That got long  🤣

I add an evaluation with out having shot the Spectrum 380. 

U-Tube reviews in general are good. It Is What It Is, a small pistol primarily made for easy Concealed Carry, and not a target pistol although some folks do pretty good shooting it.

I have not shot it, but did break it down, lube it and have racked it hundreds of times (cheap break in with out AMMO). By the way, a very easy break down, turn one screw head 1/4 turn CCW and pull slide off, put slide back on and the lock screw resets itself. Barrel and spring with rod is easy out also. 

My main issue not having shot it is the Trigger Pull, it is double only so a long pull before break and a long reset. The worst thing is the trigger is scratchy during the long pull. 

Having the slide off I noticed the trigger pull is very smooth with out the slide (only the trigger parts and not setting the firing pin in the slide). 

I then moved the firing pin back (manually) on the slide and you can feel the scratchiness.

I took the spring and short rod (it's in the rear of the slide) out of the slide and you still feel the scratchiness when moving the firing pin by hand. 

Removing the firing in beyond what I did is a DIFFICULT procedure with a number of small springs and a pin involved per U-Tube posts (check U-Tube for Taurus Spectrum 380 Firing Pin Removal).

There are only two posts and they are not complete.:

One guy is misled in thinking the firing pin is the rod in the spring. That rod is not the firing pin, it is rod to guide the spring.  He does at least show how to remove that spring and rod from the slide. 

The other guy's presentation is more informative as he did have his firing pin out at one time (he says). HOWEVER, he dose not show the removal. He points out that the main block in the slide where the firing pin is actually located (call it the firing pin assembly) can be removed. However, he points out he had a very hard time getting it back together as total of three little springs to deal with and a pin he nearly lost. 

I had not researched U-Tube before looking at mine (dumb), but at least I did not go so far as to remove the block (firing pin assembly). I did remove the rear spring and rod. 

I did then manually slide the firing pin (call it the tip the trigger moves) by hand and could feel the scratchiness. SO, IT IS IN THE FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY. 

The black tube 'thingy' I slid back reaches a stop, but there is a button (Thin about 1/4 inch) in the slide near the rear that releases that black tube 'thingy' and allows it to slide back another 1/2 inch. 

That exposes a bit more of the firing pin, a metal portion shows up that appears to have some wear (remember this gun has not been fired, but dry fired maybe 10 times at most).  

The black tube 'thingy' that seems to contain the firing pin is blocked from coming any further. SO, NOT MUCH ELSE can be done in that position.

I AM GLAD I DID NOT GO FURTHER as not knowing what I am doing. 

I would like to maybe Emory Paper it smoother if I could gain access to it after a closer look.

I will just go and see if it shoots at this point. Hope I did not mess anything up.

ANYONE have any experience with the Spectrum 380 (in particular the firing pin and trigger scratchiness)?????

HMMM !!!! this needs to be a separate topic and I will.   

Edited by PAULSHOOT
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, PAULSHOOT said:

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I am considering shipment, BUD's local (Sevierville) said they ship back for $25. I have not checked cost if i do it myself.  

That said, not sure I care enough to pay $25 for something to shoot target (sort of a play toy with me, not something I would really use). I can still shoot it, just get some keyholes, I guess some effect on accuracy. Or, is accuracy just me? 😉 

Get a Fed-Ex quote on shipping it back. I've had to send a couple for service recently and they were pretty reasonable.

20 minutes ago, hipower said:

Get a Fed-Ex quote on shipping it back. I've had to send a couple for service recently and they were pretty reasonable.

I did call UPS about shipping another gun (Heritage 22 Pistol) - estimated PKG to be 10x10x2 and about 2 lbs so they could estimate cost over the phone.

They said around $16 to Miami from Knoxville. Only UPS office you can ship a gun from in this area is in Knoxville. 

1 minute ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I did call UPS about shipping another gun (Heritage 22 Pistol) - estimated PKG to be 10x10x2 and about 2 lbs so they could estimate cost over the phone.

They said around $16 to Miami from Knoxville. Only UPS office you can ship a gun from in this area is in Knoxville. 

Although I personally might have kept the HiPoint, I do see the reasoning in your Taurus purchase. I have several Taurii (lol) and have been chastised over them for years. I have absolutely no problems with them. Got into them when they were dirt cheap and it was all I could afford. I don't regret any of them. I did have to send a Tracker 22 back after I bought it. Accuracy was totally non-existant with it. I sent it back and was sent a new pistol in about 3 weeks. That was about 2008, and the replacement has been fine.

Good luck with yours.

• Like 1