New Job,New dress attire, new knife needed

So I've taken on a new job recently and will be doing business development for the Forest Industry all across the state.  With that comes a directive that I need to wear business attire, ie. shirt, tie, sport coat, or a suit.  I have carried my TGO Protech TR4 ever since the day it came in the mail, and I absolutely love that knife.  It is, however, a little bit cumbersome and heavy in lightweight suit pants.  So what are the recommendations for an equal quality knife, maybe smaller and definitely somewhat lighter that won't feel like my pants are sagging? Price is always a factor, I'd like not to spend a fortune (over $200) but looking for a good value.  It doesn't have to be automatic open, but that's a plus

6 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I agree with Hozzie.  I love my Runts.

53 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I always loved my Runt, but lost it somewhere.  I would think it would be perfect for this.

Edit:  This actually reminded me how much I liked that little knife.  I ended up ordering a new one.  Looks like I got the last Cocobolo one.

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=runt

So I didn't realize how truly small the runt actually was.  The pictures are deceiving.  I sketched out the dimension on paper a got a picture of its actual size.  This may be the route to go.  I actually like the Runt Tuxedo w Ivory 1.95oz is really light.  

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, leroy said:

Here is my recommendation Brother... I'd almost bet willis can beat this price... I've got one of these little beasties... It's great...

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/pt-automatics/pro-tech-2307-pt-auto-black-handle-with-super-grip-knurl-black-blade-plain-edge/

Good luck in the new job... Go forth and do good...

leroy

I really like this option as well.  I like how thin the handle is when open.  Overall lenght is a bit longer than the Runt but still pretty manageable.  2.56oz wieght is pretty light

• Like 1

You probably want a more expensive knife, but I carry a SOG Access Card 2.0 as a money clip. It weighs only 1.8 ounces. Using it as a money clip makes it very hard for me to lose.  I've owned it for four years, whereas I've misplaced most pocket knives.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

You probably want a more expensive knife, but I carry a SOG Access Card 2.0 as a money clip. It weighs only 1.8 ounces. Using it as a money clip makes it very hard for me to lose.  I've owned it for four years, whereas I've misplaced most pocket knives.

thats a pretty slick little knife, I'll look at picking one of those up for sure, regardless if I EDC something else

1 minute ago, Lumber_Jack said:

thats a pretty slick little knife, I'll look at picking one of those up for sure, regardless if I EDC something else

There's a newer model. I think this one might be discontinued. FWIW, I also carry a Spyderco pen knife on my keychain and a cheap folder in the driver's door pocket. 

• Admin Team

Congrats on the new gig!

Clips are hard on suit pants.  Get just a little bit of bite on something edgy like G10 and it'll eat a hole in weeks.  

I dig this little Benchmade Proper: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Proper-Slip-Joint-Knife--69123

I've been carrying the heck out of a Smith and Sons Mudbug is natural canvas micarta lately.  It's a lockback commission of Great Eastern Cutlery's Sodbuster.

Both are a far cry rom the TR4, but they both pull their weight.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I can't say enough good things about the Spyderco Dragonfly either.

It's got a clip.  The one linked is VG-10 steel.  It's capable of big knife jobs.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Dragonfly--6705

It's small enough that I can clip it in the watch pocket on a pair of 501s.

They've got FRN versions that are even lighter.

I've got all of the above knives if you want to try any of them out.

• Like 1

Lots of good recommendations.  I'll add the Kershaw Leek - kind of hard to beat for price, quality, and slimness.  Also I have carried a Benchmade Stimulus for the last 3 years or so and love it.  Holds an edge better than nearly every other knife I own.

Congrats on the new gig!  

I've got one of the TGO Runts and it's small, but super nice. A friend has a ZT 450 with titanium frame or scales (both?) that's very light. 

Instead if clipping it to your pants, perhaps an inside coat pocket would work better. You could use a pocket protector without it being visible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Congrats on the new gig!  

I've got one of the TGO Runts and it's small, but super nice. A friend has a ZT 450 with titanium frame or scales (both?) that's very light. 

Instead if clipping it to your pants, perhaps an inside coat pocket would work better. You could use a pocket protector without it being visible. 

I've actually considered that idea.  I find now that I carry a lot of things like my cell phone, an ink pen etc in my coat pocket vs pants pocket.  This could be very viable option

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Congrats on the new gig!

Clips are hard on suit pants.  Get just a little bit of bite on something edgy like G10 and it'll eat a hole in weeks.  

I dig this little Benchmade Proper: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Proper-Slip-Joint-Knife--69123

I've been carrying the heck out of a Smith and Sons Mudbug is natural canvas micarta lately.  It's a lockback commission of Great Eastern Cutlery's Sodbuster.

Both are a far cry rom the TR4, but they both pull their weight.

I really like that knife, and have also considered a traditional pocket knife like a case.  But I'd still like the ability to stab someone in the neck if the need arises :shrug:  I appreciate the heads up on the pants wear, definitely something to keep in mind when making my decision, dress clothes are not cheap. 

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Admin Team

I could go for a Spyderco PM3 or Worker, too for smaller dress carry, too.

I've got one of the sprint run PM2's that I put a deep carry clip and canvas micarta scales on.  I did it specifically for when I'm wearing a tailored suit and don't want a heavier blade weighing the pockets down.  I can appendix carry it in my waistband with the clip behind my belt.  No one is the wiser and I've got access to something really fast and pointy if needed.

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I second the comment on knives eating holes with the pocket clip. You could always go the pocket organizer to hold a pen light, knife, pen, etc. I did one for myself for certain occasions. I'll see if I can find it and shoot you a picture. 

That's a good call.  I've got one that rides in my pocket to keep the mudbug, pen and light from falling down in my pocket.