Remington 870 DM (Detachable Magazine)

Garufa

Remington has released a line of six 870 shotguns that accept detachable box magazines, including the TAC-14.  The factory mags are 6 rounds.  The magwell is just kinda bolted on but it's interesting to see this factory option.

https://www.remington.com/search/shotguns?productfamily=485&cartridge=All&barrellength=All&barreltype=All&stockmaterial=All&stockfinish=All&additionaloptions=All&passion=All

https://www.remington.com/other-products/tac-14-dm

15 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Somebody help me out here. 

I’m sure the gamers will appreciate this, and I’m all for more choice in the market.  But, does this actually affect anyone who really runs a shotgun?

People who actually run a shotgun? No this does nothing. Rimmed cases and box magazines tend to not work so well together. It’s why we don’t see any quality AR-12 gauges.

Its a toy, plain and simple.

Check out Black Aces Tactical. At least I think they are still in business. They took bare receiver 870s and Mossberg 500s and installed 8” barrels, detachable magazine bottom metal, and stabilizing braces and sold them as “firearms” for the $2000 range. I’m betting this cuts into their sales.

Id bet maybe 10%, probably less, of people who own a defensive type shotgun, know how to actually run it effectively. It’s a unique skill set.

That Tac14 DM is not going to handle very well.  Weight distribution will be significantly different from that of the original Tac14.   And that magazine, sticking out of the bottom of what was previously a slim and handy heater, will want to catch on something.  

At least those are my thoughts on a gun I've not handled yet....

Whisper

• Admin Team

When I was taught to run a shotgun, the paradigm was you’re either shooting it, moving with it, or feeding it.  

This doesn’t seem to materially affect any of those.  

I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch of them. But, I don’t see how this really does anything better than another shotgun.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

When I was taught to run a shotgun, the paradigm was you’re either shooting it, moving with it, or feeding it.  

This doesn’t seem to materially affect any of those.  

I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch of them. But, I don’t see how this really does anything better than another shotgun.  

Box mags are lots faster than tubular mags. Now, put it on an 1100 :) 

• Admin Team
1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

Box mags are lots faster than tubular mags. Now, put it on an 1100 :) 

In theory, I guess.  

That said, six round mags are short and bulky.  It just seems like that’s going to be clunky coming out of a load carrier. 

As with anything, practice, practice practice I guess. 

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

In theory, I guess.  

That said, six round mags are short and bulky.  It just seems like that’s going to be clunky coming out of a load carrier. 

As with anything, practice, practice practice I guess. 

If there's a hole, somebody will make a useful mag. Yep, they's gonna be bulky. It's a shotgun :) 

Well, I run a shotgun decently but there is no way I could reload a tube as fast as I can change a mag. I like pump action shotguns and I like firearms with detachable magazines so unless they suck I will probably end up with one.

Now I can build a shorter SBS and not restrict my load out. I think something with a 13-14" barrel might be kind of handy around the house. If they end up building one in semi-auto I will build one for my wife.

Mark

28 minutes ago, Mark A said:

Well, I run a shotgun decently but there is no way I could reload a tube as fast as I can change a mag. I like pump action shotguns and I like firearms with detachable magazines so unless they suck I will probably end up with one.

Now I can build a shorter SBS and not restrict my load out. I think something with a 13-14" barrel might be kind of handy around the house. If they end up building one in semi-auto I will build one for my wife.

Mark

Sure makes the transition from buckshot to slug (and back) a lot easier

• Admin Team

I feel like I'm spending more time beating up this shotgun than it deserves.  The 870 is a great platform.  If this thing works for you - shoot it and enjoy it.

Now that I've had time to really look at it, I will give Remington grief for giving their customers "something new and revolutionary" in a way that only a major conglomerate would, though.  They've riveted a magwell to an aluminum receiver and debuted a new shotgun.  

I guess you'll know about it if you hit it hard enough to knock it out of alignment - but, take a hard enough hit and you've potentially damaged the underlying receiver, too.  Why not a cast or forged one piece?

The SBS idea is an interesting one, I guess.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

What's the deal with the DD? Or does it fall in the same time frame as the Street Sweeper and such getting labeled as DDs?

25 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

What's the deal with the DD? Or does it fall in the same time frame as the Street Sweeper and such getting labeled as DDs?

IDK why they ever got listed as a DD, I know in the early 80's street sweepers were FS at local gun shows in San Diego, I'm guessing BATFE changed them to stamp guns prior to 86 for some crazy ass reason. 

I still own this SPAS-12ga I bought it from a SD swat officer back in 1984, HQ changed their rules for having personal weapons in patrol cars, so he sold it to me.

If a USAS-12 and Street Sweeper are DD, it makes no sense why they didn't DD the Spas 12 or 15 too...

35956779655_c91423f93d_b.jpg2017-07-16_07-14-11 by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I feel like I'm spending more time beating up this shotgun than it deserves.  The 870 is a great platform.  If this thing works for you - shoot it and enjoy it.

Now that I've had time to really look at it, I will give Remington grief for giving their customers "something new and revolutionary" in a way that only a major conglomerate would, though.  They've riveted a magwell to an aluminum receiver and debuted a new shotgun.  

I guess you'll know about it if you hit it hard enough to knock it out of alignment - but, take a hard enough hit and you've potentially damaged the underlying receiver, too.  Why not a cast or forged one piece?

The SBS idea is an interesting one, I guess.

Well... it's not good engineering. You're right. It's possible that the big lever (box mag) could break the receiver. With that said, the complexity of operating a fighting shotgun is greatly simplified with a box magazine. Dealing with that tubular mag, and two types of ammo is what makes a fighting shotgun so complicated. Slug changeovers turn into tactical reloads with a box mag. 

I came away from the Magpul Shotgun videos with an opinion. A tricked out 870 will handle any fight that I may get into. But, if I was carrying a shotgun into a real fight, give me a Saiga 12. Hell with a modified bird gun.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

IDK why they ever got listed as a DD, I know in the early 80's street sweepers were FS at local gun shows in San Diego, I'm guessing BATFE changed them to stamp guns prior to 86 for some crazy ass reason. 

I still own this SPAS-12ga I bought it from a SD swat officer back in 1984, HQ changed their rules for having personal weapons in patrol cars, so he sold it to me.

If a USAS-12 and Street Sweeper are DD, it makes no sense why they didn't DD the Spas 12 or 15 too...

35956779655_c91423f93d_b.jpg2017-07-16_07-14-11 by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

That's awesome, always have wanted one, or to shoot one at least.  I know they're a beast of a shotgun though.