Re barreling a No4 Mk1

I have a No4 Mk1 Enfield I came into really cheap. Looks good overall, the owner had let it sit a very long time and somehow a dirt dobber built a nest in the last 3" of barrel. Try as I might, I can't get the last 3" of barrel to clean up.

I bought pretty good condition barrel off of a guy local. Just need an action wrench to swap the barrel out.

Anyone near the Knoxville area have an action wrench I could use?

16 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Have you shot it? I have seen some very bad looking barrels that actually shoot well. 

Also, there is a very good chance the headspace is not correct. 

It'll need to both be properly headspaced, as well as properly clocked, so the sights are on TOP of the barrel when properly screwed into place.

This is a job for a man with a lathe and a working knowledge of rifles.

Ive installed and headspaced a few rifles in my time. Reamed in headspace in no telling how many 1000's of .50's.

Worked at Barret and Serbu  firearms collectively for 20 years.

Worked at TGI for 5 years. Rebarreled Enfields and Mosins while there.

I do have 303 headspace gauges and different size bolt beads from 0-3.

The last 3" of barrel are so constricted with rust. It feels like a speed bump when pushing a jag with patch on it.  Would rather no even fire it, it's so bad.

Looks like I'll have to break down and buy a wrench off of ebay.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 50 cal said:

Ive installed and headspaced a few rifles in my time. Reamed in headspace in no telling how many 1000's of .50's.

Worked at Barret and Serbu  firearms collectively for 20 years.

Worked at TGI for 5 years. Rebarreled Enfields and Mosins while there.

I do have 303 headspace gauges and different size bolt beads from 0-3.

The last 3" of barrel are so constricted with rust. It feels like a speed bump when pushing a jag with patch on it.  Would rather no even fire it, it's so bad.

Looks like I'll have to break down and buy a wrench off of ebay.

Sorry, I did not know of your experience. Many folks think one can simply screw in another barrel and be good. I expect an action wrench for an Enfield would be hard to come by around these parts, but it's worth a shot to ask.