Hog rifle recommendations for old guy with aging eyes

Yeah, im  looking for recommendations. I do some hog hunting and have been using my  1960's era Winchester 94 in 30-30. I've used it for over 40+ years and it has served me well.  I installed a set of hi viz sights but with trifocals it's getting tough to see. I really need to use a low power fixed scope but don't want to mess with changing my rifle. Obvious choice is a Marlin lever gun or a bolt action in a sufficient caliber .  My max budget is 35O - 400.

What say y'all?

Thanks in advance!

11 minutes ago, polecat said:

Yeah, im  looking for recommendations. I do some hog hunting and have been using my  1960's era Winchester 94 in 30-30. I've used it for over 40+ years and it has served me well.  I installed a set of hi viz sights but with trifocals it's getting tough to see. I really need to use a low power fixed scope but don't want to mess with changing my rifle. Obvious choice is a Marlin lever gun or a bolt action in a sufficient caliber .  My max budget is 35O - 400.

What say y'all?

Thanks in advance!

I would say since you have had success with your model 94 30-30 which is by all means a great gun you might look at staying with a 30-30 and move to a Marlin with a scope. Should be a fairly easy transformation over as your still using a lever gun like you have been using for years.........JMHO

• Like 1

I ran across this a couple of years ago somewhere, can't remember where.  This guy made a peep sight for his lever action. He removed the sight plate from the rear sight, used it as a template and made a replacement plate in the form of a peep sight. I was going to go this route but realized I never use those guns any more so it got put on a back burner.

ohsw-winchester1.jpg

ohsw-winchester2.jpg

I'd be tempted to take a look at some sort of mount for a red dot of some flavor on a levergun i liked... Bigger, brighter, the better... The Aimpoints always come to mind here, or possibly his brother a Vortex of some flavor... Mount him ahead a bit and out off the way of your irons so ya can take him back off and use filler screws when ya dont want him on there... If ya like pistolas, get a bigun with a baby reflex mount of some flavor... I like 'em too... Been thinkin about addin one to my Glock 20...

leroy...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, leroy said:

I'd be tempted to take a look at some sort of mount for a red dot of some flavor on a levergun i liked... Bigger, brighter, the better... The Aimpoints always come to mind here, or possibly his brother a Vortex of some flavor... Mount him ahead a bit and out off the way of your irons so ya can take him back off and use filler screws when ya dont want him on there... If ya like pistolas, get a bigun with a baby reflex mount of some flavor... I like 'em too... Been thinkin about addin one to my Glock 20...

leroy...

If going the red dot route give one a try if possible first with your trifocals. I have a bit of a astigmatism and it makes the dot flare out and look weird with one pair of glasses. With a different pair it's not noticeable at all.

I'm NOT discouraging you. I do think it's a great solution. Most gunsmith should be able to fabricate a mount that replaced6thd rear sight with no new holes. If th e dot looks good to you go for it!

• Like 1