Combat Accuracy vs Target Shooting

SargeC4

Shooting at least three rounds, two at the body, one at the head, in a fast, controlled manner has been my method of training for the past 17 years.  But situation will dictate, how you engage the target.  You don't want to draw and shoot at a target that is not an immediate threat, and you don't want to take your time aiming at one that is.

21 minutes ago, SargeC4 said:

What are everybody’s thoughts on combat accuracy vs target shooting. What level accuracy versus speed of shooting is acceptable in a self defense scenario? [https://youtu.be/5Dbj9VypyP4/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting...but would you be a bit self-serving having your first post promoting your own video?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SargeC4 said:

I didn’t think about it like that, it’s was intended to promote thought and start an active conversation about the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, I guess I'm just a suspicious and devious minded person. A bit down this morning and that was my first thought.

• Like 1

I have been in shootings and have shot in competition. I keep the two separate. I use point instinct (no sights) for practicing defensive shooting. Sights are for competition shooting.

You really can’t prepare yourself for what will probably be the biggest adrenaline rush of your life when a gunman is trying to kill you; but you can make sure your training kicks in. If you train getting a sight picture; that is what you will do. If you fire point instinct; that is what you will do.

It may be in the dark with a man raising his gun at you. Getting a sight picture could cost you your life.

It appears to me the shooter in that video is using his sights for everything and just speeding up and slowing down his rate of fire.

• Like 3

Target shooting and combat accuracy have completely different goals. Target shooting is as fast as you can put bullets exactly where you want them, be that a steel plate at 10yds or a paper bullseye at 1000yds. Combat accuracy is stopping the threat as fast possible. . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Shooting at least three rounds, two at the body, one at the head, in a fast, controlled manner has been my method of training for the past 17 years.  But situation will dictate, how you engage the target.  You don't want to draw and shoot at a target that is not an immediate threat, and you don't want to take your time aiming at one that is.

So you run the Mozambique Drill then. LAPD calls it the Failure Drill. 

Not having a standard place to practice, I do not have specific drills, but I consider all my rounds in a 6 inch circle to be "combat accurate". That is either with a pistol or rifle. At that level, I can reasonably kill anything that I need to. I would love to be better, but aging eyes and lack of time are against me.

@hipower I agree. It is a down day on this end too. Lots of reasons why.

Edited by Ronald_55
Spelling as usual
46 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

So you run the Mozambique Drill then. LAPD calls it the Failure Drill. 

Not having a standard place to practice, I do not have specific drills, but I consider all my rounds in a 6 inch circle to be "combat accurate". That is either with a pistol or rifle. At that level, I can reasonably kill anything that I need to. I would love to be better, but aging eyes and lack of time are against me.

@hipower I agree. It is a down day on this end too. Lots of reasons why.

Yes, though it took a few years to find out it's name.  We were taught that due to higher incidents of enemy using body armor.  And with many stories of perps surviving even large caliber hits to the torso gives me incentive enough to continue the drills today. 

• Like 1

I will admit I don't target shoot. Every time i go to the range I train on combat accuracy with both pistol and rifle. Do I admire people who can punch a 10 ring on every shot, sure but if the time ever comes I don't think that's the training you need to defend yourself. 

Edited by XxthejuicexX
  • Like 1

I do both target and "combat" shooting.  The former is to develop muscle memory on grip and trigger squeeze that I notice transfers over to the later.  Aiming- as a deliberate thought- is quite lost in the combat shooting practice until I realize such.  But I don't count on noticing it if I'm ever using my pistol in a real life situation, as I would hope my focus would be on determining if the target is no longer a threat or not.  I'm of a mind that the close range of such an event means the point instinct @DaveTN describes is enough.

If people are wondering which one is better...stop thinking and go practice.  Developing good pistol shooting requires thousands upon thousands of rounds with evaluation (self, peer, or instructor) all along the way.  I still have many thousands more until I consider myself more than decent.

Edited by btq96r

All I go for is a group the size of my fist in the upper thoracic if it's for combat accuracy. That's when I want speed and accuracy to mesh. Dave Spaulding suggests something along those lines if an ideal shot group in a shooting. For accuracy and speed, I run drills that use 3x5 cards or smaller target zones but I still shoot with a combat mindset. I think the problem for many people is one they don't train, practice, or dry practice. Shooting is just punching holes in paper. Anything I try to do outside of trap is combat related. That's my two cents.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1