First time tagging out!

Never done it before, but this year I actually limited out on bucks! :D

The first (pics 3 & 4) is the heaviest deer I've ever killed. I butchered him & scaled 91½lb of cleaned, trimmed meat!

The second (first 2 pics) is by far and away the best buck I've ever had a shot at. I had him under 30yds & around me for over 30 minutes (left my damn glasses in the truck...) before I figured out he was better than the average 6 point I thought he was!

I'm hoping to get one more doe, just as meat insurance & to justify the new freezer I bought yesterday.....39fdc4f457d5ab7d6fb6680ef6ad7ee3.jpg374080a7e9ca465c30ff08e774beed1f.jpg06107b3972e2a7610b14f63537064bc1.jpg1056e93b987872ebcefaa2001e73966d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 11
3 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Very nice, congratulations! I have yet to kill anything but time. I made up my mind way before season that I wouldn’t take a buck unless it was bigger than last years. Hard to do, trust me, but I’ve stuck to it. Very happy for your harvests!

Well I don't know how big the one was you got last year and I hope you reach your goal. My goal has been alot different. I would guess I have probably killed 100+ deer over my lifetime and as long as it was legal to shoot it went in the freezer and I never put a mount on my wall even though over the years I have taken about four 12 pointers and two 14 pointers back years ago while I lived on my Grandfathers Farm/Ranch. I think I can probably find the racks. I think they are down stored in one of my sons buildings. I always thought one day I would make something out of them but the years have slipped by to fast I guess.

My Grand father told me if I was hunting for Antlers I need to go to Alaska. If I am looking for meat for the freezer take 4 points or less and let the big ones walk and that is what I have done since he told me that. If I had a 4 point and a spike come along together I would take the spike. I have 1 small buck in the freezer right now and I'm hoping for a couple does for it now. My son and Grandson said they could probably get me 1 more doe. They said those poachers screwed up their season this year.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2017 at 6:34 PM, bersaguy said:

Well I don't know how big the one was you got last year and I hope you reach your goal. My goal has been alot different. I would guess I have probably killed 100+ deer over my lifetime and as long as it was legal to shoot it went in the freezer and I never put a mount on my wall even though over the years I have taken about four 12 pointers and two 14 pointers back years ago while I lived on my Grandfathers Farm/Ranch. I think I can probably find the racks. I think they are down stored in one of my sons buildings. I always thought one day I would make something out of them but the years have slipped by to fast I guess.

My Grand father told me if I was hunting for Antlers I need to go to Alaska. If I am looking for meat for the freezer take 4 points or less and let the big ones walk and that is what I have done since he told me that. If I had a 4 point and a spike come along together I would take the spike. I have 1 small buck in the freezer right now and I'm hoping for a couple does for it now. My son and Grandson said they could probably get me 1 more doe. They said those poachers screwed up their season this year.

This is my mantra even though I've only shot one deer.  My father-in-law explained to me that the better meat was on the smaller ones so I've always thought along those lines.  Poachers suck.  I think I've got some on my property.  Hoping to catch them on the cameras and let the game warden get started.  

Nice bucks OP.  

• Like 2